Collection - Class of '81

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishbonz

Reaction score
Thought it was about time I shared - here's part of my collection, all from 1981. L to R: Love Rock LS100S ON, Love Rock LS70GT, SS70R Limited and ES100R. Special thanks to Mark, Mike and Paul for helping me put this part together. They all get played and gigged. An LS100S Old Red would make a nice addition?

1981.jpg

Wow. That is an amazing group. Some rare birds flocked together in your garden!

Favorites change on regular, pretty much weekly basis - from this bunch its probably the latest addition (SS70R), I'm not usually a Stat person, they need to be really 'worked' to get anything back in my experience - but this one is different, its light, resonant and sounds just great with the stock 'U' pick ups. They are all great to play, and all have their different attributes.

What do you think of the quality of the LS70GT compared to your former Navigator? You just beat me when buying it from Mark btw..

Jacco, Yes I jumped on that one, just lucky I saw it a few minutes after Mark put it up there. I think it beat the Navigator hands down in feel, playability and build quality (IMO) plus it was definitely lighter. In terms of sound there's not much between them, the pick ups looked to me the same manufacture, certainly had that same classic P90 sound.

wishbonz said:
In terms of sound there's not much between them, the pick ups looked to me the same manufacture, certainly had that same classic P90 sound.

Do these P90's sound as good as the real Gibson P90's?

As always its in the ear of the beholder - I still have a '56 TV Special and a '68 Standard (Gibson) with their stock P90s, vintage Gibson P90s vary from one to another anyway, add a different body shape, density, age and wood type, and thats before you get to the amp, well you can see where I'm going. All I will say is that (for me) the P90s fitted to the early 80s Tokai and Navigator (only one's I have experience of) do have that 'classic' P90 tone with 'character' that stands up to any Gibson P90 I have tried, in direct comparison.

Fantastic!!

Now we just need to see Marcus's collection.......;-)

PS: M., got it, it's amazing!!

Mick51 said:
spikeymikey said:
Fantastic!!

Now we just need to see Marcus's collection.......;-)

Never mind the guitars, what you want to see is Marcus's collection of rare and exotic carpets and rugs! :eek:

That hadn't gone unnoticed either.....he has great taste in both!!

I keep coming back to look at this picture - I am very jealous of that refined vintage collection! Nice job getting the rare colors and models, and lovely examples at that.

Glad you like, I just love that faded red (almost salmon) on the ES100. You mentioned rare birds in your previous post - there are of course the Vs (tenuous 'flying' connection) - I'll post them in a while along with the others.

wishbonz said:
Glad you like, I just love that faded red (almost salmon) on the ES100. You mentioned rare birds in your previous post - there are of course the Vs (tenuous 'flying' connection) - I'll post them in a while along with the others.

Yes the ES100 just looks AMAZING. I bet it sounds the same way.

Would love to have either of your Tokai's btw.. love the look of your LS100 as well. You got some fine taste. What amps do you use with these beauties?

Cheers,

Amps: Beat-up Fender 15w '74 Princeton Reverb, with 12" ToneTubby squeezed in - for smaller venues, 40w mid-60s Bandmaster in a combo cab with 15" Weber mostly for everything else. Various boosts and overdrives on the floor to suit different guitars.

Back