Which looks best ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaggyPants

Reaction score
Decided to try my LC80 without the pickguard:

TOKAILC80.jpg

I put the gold pickguard screws back in to neaten up the holes.

This is how she looked before:

tokai1.jpg

I never liked it off on my Gibson Les Paul Classic, but it's kind of grown on me on this guitar :D

ON!!!

It breaks up the white look, too pale for my liking, but then again it's just a matter of taste

aHave you noticed any differences when playing it?
Are you a pinky rester or free faller?

Strangely enough, it seems to be more comfortable to play. I mix my playing style up. Some tunes are played with no body contact, with my palm on or behind the bridge, and others I rest my pinky where the guard was. I now find myself picking a lot cleaner in the latter position, because my hand is a little closer to the strings :D

I guess the good thing about pickguard removal is that it's only a two minute job to put it back if you change your mind 8)

Aint that the truth!!

I'd keep it of, for the sake of players comfort, as you describe it & don't worry about the look.

How many in the audience are going to notice it!! Zilch, Zero, Nada :D

It's only the players that is going to see the real differences, soo....
Go with what YOU like :wink:

No, I meant the top colour white, with black sandwiched twice in the middle to provide an outline.

Now you've gone and done it ! I have visions of a "White Beauty". Like a "Black Beauty", everything black on them would be white on this. Pickup rings, knobs, switch backing, pickguard, etc. :eek:

STOP ME, PLEASE !!!

:lol:

If you do that you'll have to change the hardware to nickel, or it would be a bit too Liberace.

As much as I hate pickguards in general, on a custom they need to be ON!!!!

Gives the eye more to take in - plain white and gold looks sterile and boring.

Definately leave the pickguard on.I removed the pickguard on my LC53,it looked ok for about half an hour then had to put it back on,
keep it original sir!!!

Off....with it on, it just looks like every other one like it.

For me, it's more a matter of function rather than appearance.

I take mine off because when doing single note pickwork, I have a tendancy to latch my pinky and next finger onto the mounting ring of the bridge pickup and it give's me a different attack (more perpendicular) than with the pickguard on. I can dig into the strings better from that position - which helps because I play 11's on my guitars.

Ok, I went for the "Liberace" look :lol:

whitetokai1.jpg

whitetokai2.jpg

whitetokai3.jpg

Kind od a Les Paul Supreme taken one step further :D

That's the CNB case in the last photo, which was bought to replace the crappy Coffin Case that coloured the Tokai pink :evil: Far superior case for about half the price :)

Like it very much, much better than stock! I'm just a little bit undecided about the pickup mounting rings...

Back