Tone suggestions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allthumbs

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to the Love Rock/Les Paul guitar world having just purchased my 82' LC100. For several years I've played a Strat into a Traynor Custom Valve 40 (actually, more than anything I've played acoustic).

Anyway, I'm trying to get a handle on the tonal characteristics on the Love Rock and am seeking any general advice/opinions on maximizing my tone. I've got the original PAFs that came with the guitar. Any thoughts on how best to eq the amp? Should I be boosting or reducing the mids? So far my only observation is that it's pretty easy to get 'muddy' with the neck pickup. Is there a better pickup out there (I realize this is all subjective)?

I want her to sound her best. Any and all input is most welcome.

First mess with the EQ on your amp.
Start with all three(bass, mid, treble) in the center position.
Start with one and adjust it to your liking with that guitar.
Then go to the next control.
Mahogany bodied guitars can sound a bit boomy and sometimes muddy.
So, too much Bass can be boomy.
Not enough mids can sound squashed. Too much mids can give that hollow tone.
Not enough treble can sound muddy or buried.

If you still feel that your sound is too muddy, I would suggest a Duncan Jazz in the neck. Very clean tone, not bassy, cuts through very nicely.

Duncan JB for the bridge. More of a raw tone. Nice mids. Also cuts through very well. High output. But does not break up as quickly like a SD(super distortion) type pickup. So it doesnt get muddy with high gain amps.

I have the Jazz and JB in my Fernandes Ravelle.
I'm thinking of putting a pair in my Diodati 59Q.

Here's a link to the seymour duncan sound files:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/SDToneWizard/hummer.htm
Gives a good idea of the different tones of each pickup they make.
Some are more obvious than others. While some only have subtle differences.

Kent

Back