Veneer vs Solid top, notice any tone difference?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that it would be near impossible to hear any difference between a solid top and a solid top with a super thin veneer.The much revered Greco egf1200 are veneer top guitars and are spectacular, just look at the prices.... :wink:

Mick

The flames on the LS95F are incredible, regarding difference in tone, + 1 to what Mick said.

THE RISING FORCE said:
the flames on the ls135f are just killers...Is It true that laminated tops would always delaminate in a certain period of time?

There are plenty of 30 year old laminate tops that are still perfect, look after the guitar, i.e don't keep it in a sauna, and it'll last longer than you will :D

JohnA said:
THE RISING FORCE said:
the flames on the ls135f are just killers...Is It true that laminated tops would always delaminate in a certain period of time?

There are plenty of 30 year old laminate tops that are still perfect, look after the guitar, i.e don't keep it in a sauna, and it'll last longer than you will :D

:lol: :lol: +1

Mick

AFA any tonal differences, I really doubt there are any

AFA the potential for delamination, or shrinkage with a veneer top, it's a possibility, not a probability

Having said that, a solid top will basically 100% insure that you have no possibility of delam, or shrinkage 8)

one other thing; IMO the great majority of veneer tops look 'fake' as they demonstrate a mirror image, side to side.
How many 'burst do you see in The Beauty Of The 'Burst that have a top with both halves that look identical? :wink:

Thanks for all the responses :)

Not quite sure what you're saying here MIJ:

MIJvintage said:
one other thing; IMO the great majority of veneer tops look 'fake' as they demonstrate a mirror image, side to side.
How many 'burst do you see in The Beauty Of The 'Burst that have a top with both halves that look identical? :wink:

Are you saying you don't like bookmatched tops or just veneer tops? I.e. PRS's bookmatched solid flame tops?

marcusnieman said:
Axchisler said:
Sorry if I missed a post about this. If there are any please help me find them. Thanks

Try the "search" function.

I did, this was interesting, but was more about facts than tone:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13572&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=veneer++solid+top&start=0

I'm trying to figure out why my solid Koa top is brighter than my veneered LS100Q, and wondered if it has anything to do with the glue used to hold the veneer in place. Wouldn't most agree that koa is a darker sounding wood than maple. Everything is the same on both guitars except tenon and CTS pots on the koa, and maybe the saddles. :-?

Im betting the Koa's aluminium tailpiece and brass saddlles are the reason it has a brighter tone.

I could be wrong, probably am. :)

Axchisler said:
marcusnieman said:
Axchisler said:
Sorry if I missed a post about this. If there are any please help me find them. Thanks

Try the "search" function.

I did, this was interesting, but was more about facts than tone:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13572&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=veneer++solid+top&start=0

I'm trying to figure out why my solid Koa top is brighter than my veneered LS100Q, and wondered if it has anything to do with the glue used to hold the veneer in place. Wouldn't most agree that koa is a darker sounding wood than maple. Everything is the same on both guitars except tenon and CTS pots on the koa, and maybe the saddles. :-?

Thanks Diamond, but after seing the thread about Faber tone kits, I bought one with an aluminum tailpiece for the Q, and studs for the koa. I'm not sure if the saddles on the koa are brass, if so they are plated because they are chrome or nickel.

Do you know what the saddles are made of on the LS100Q?

leadguitar_323 said:
I think he is trying to say he prefers his guitars to have character and not look like the top was painted on........Perfect = tacky.... :wink:

Mick

Ahh, I hear ya Mick. Like an ESP Hetfield Truckster 8)

:wink:

MIJvintage said:
AFA any tonal differences, I really doubt there are any

AFA the potential for delamination, or shrinkage with a veneer top, it's a possibility, not a probability

Having said that, a solid top will basically 100% insure that you have no possibility of delam, or shrinkage 8)

+1
The tone will be affected more by the presence (or absence) of a maple top. The veneered Tokais do have a plain maple top underneath the veneer.

With what I know of the workmanship of Tokais, the laminate coming off is hard to imagine.

Axchisler said:
Are you saying you don't like bookmatched tops or just veneer tops? I.e. PRS's bookmatched solid flame tops?

I don?t care for either book matched tops, or veneer tops.

For maple carved tops, I prefer flat sawn grain that is flitch matched.
That is one reason why I really dig the solid top Burny RLG Super Grade Model examples.
I have yet to have an example of a solid top Burny with a book matched top.
The top on my Bacchus BLS-59 is also not book matched; reminds me a lot of the Burny tops 8)

I actually prefer a contrast between the two halves on maple tops :D

A true/precisely book matched solid top is actually difficult to find.
First there is the kerf created by the saw blade, and then the two halves have to be planed on both top & bottom surfaces.
Once the billet is center joined & glued to the body back, the top is then carved.
After that, there will be rough sanding and final sanding.
Once the two matched maple halves are ready for a finish, there will be annual ring & figure features that do look like a mirror image but there will also be annual ring & figure features that look completely different, side to side.

With a veneer, the lumber is sliced off in very thin sheets with razor sharp tooling, thus once applied & finished into a top, most veneer tops look like a mirror image, side to side.
To my eyes, a center seam veneer top looks fake, fake as Hell ...........

Of course in Micks? case, a one piece top will be the exceptional exception :D

I also don?t care for veneer tops as they have a greater possibility for delamination & for shrinkage.

I do have a 2000 Tokai LS-320 with a book matched top but a quick look at the differences in the annul rings in the two maple halves will readily demonstrate to a trained eye that it is a solid top.

The first ten images below are Burny RLG Super Grade Model examples with solid/flitch matched maple tops.

SatoshiBurnyTop6-1.jpg

BurnyFigBurst1.jpg

HiroHoneyBurstTop.jpg

RLG-80T4.jpg

000_2303.jpg

1_1.jpg

RLGcherrysun.jpg

RLGlemonsun.jpg

RLG3cherry.jpg

BurnyTchair1.jpg

2000 Epiphone Japan with a solid/flitch matched maple top
Episolid1.jpg