Veneer vs Solid top, notice any tone difference?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIJvintage said:
Thanks. no shop, just lots of GAS :lol:

I only have four left of the ones pictured above ...................

Haha, I hear ya. :eek:

The 1st and 4th pic above have some really nice figuring, great color too. I get what you're saying about bookmatching, not only the kerf but a carved top too make it more impossible to match perfectly, I still like it though (the 320 above), very nice bits of wood 8) . What are the inlays on the 320? They really stand out in the picture.

Axchisler said:
MIJvintage said:
Thanks. no shop, just lots of GAS :lol:

I only have four left of the ones pictured above ...................

Haha, I hear ya. :eek:

The 1st and 4th pic above have some really nice figuring, great color too. I get what you're saying about bookmatching, not only the kerf but a carved top too make it more impossible to match perfectly, I still like it though (the 320 above), very nice bits of wood 8) . What are the inlays on the 320? They really stand out in the picture.

I believe the inlays are called 'amber cell'

looks like a custom 'cell'uliod mix; the colors are grays & off white

when veiwed at an angle the surface of the inlays demonstrate a yellowish/'amber' hue

Oh ok, I got the amber cell too on a koa custom top.

Si Pie said:
Do you have a bit of an inlay fetish Axchisler? :D

Possibly an obsession :wink: . I've been a long time Jackson player and all their US models have mop sharkfin inlays and Jackson logo. Very striking and recognizable. I was surprized to learn recently from some friends at Guitar Center, not even Gibbo's have them unless custom ordered. Jackson's are not as expensive as Gibbo's, but as a friend told me, they cut costs anywhere they can to make a buck. :roll:

Back