• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or 59's set

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuBee

Reaction score
title says it all.

Have a preference for zebras (or creams) but will consider black at the right price.

Cheers

Louise

Have you tried either of these two pickups? It's strange you should pick these two particular models; I just got a '59 neck pickup off eBay, with nickel cover - I wouldn't consider open coils. And I've given up on getting a Pearly Gates bridge (with cover) secondhand, so I've just bought a new one!

Mike

Yes and no :D

I've had 59's before but not Pearly gates and I fancy trying them in my LP - I'm not that keen on the Phat Cats that are in it at the mo.

Most of my guitars with the exception of my SG (which has Gibson 57's) have SD's in them in one form or another.

If I get zebras or creams I'll leave them exposed but if they're black I've got a couple of covers floating around in the parts box.

What have you got your PG in? What they like?

Know what you mean about used SD's on fleabay - never seemed to pop up and if they do they're over priced and nearly the same as new.

Don't know yet, I just got the PG for a decent price today

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200327296422&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

so I should have it early next week. The '59 arrived yesterday, so I'll fit them both next week & let you know what I think. They're going in my new LR GT, I assume yours are for your new LR too?

It's daft really, buying a PG pickup to try to get that Billy Gibbons tone. Billy sounds like Billy whatever he plays, & he's not even listed as a user of the pickup on the SD site! But it just seemed like a good choice to go with the '59 neck

stratman323 said:
Don't know yet, I just got the PG for a decent price today

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200327296422&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

so I should have it early next week. The '59 arrived yesterday, so I'll fit them both next week & let you know what I think. They're going in my new LR GT, I assume yours are for your new LR too?

It's daft really, buying a PG pickup to try to get that Billy Gibbons tone. Billy sounds like Billy whatever he plays, & he's not even listed as a user of the pickup on the SD site! But it just seemed like a good choice to go with the '59 neck

Yep they're to go in my new LR. I nearly always swap out the stock pickups in any guitar I buy as they're usually below par compared to the rest of the guitar and I want something that is a little unique to me.

I'm over on the Duncan forum most days and the guys over they're recommended PG set or 59+pg or A2p+pg in reply to my quest for smooth tone with a bit of grit.

Know what you mean about Billys tone, just like those people who search for the SRV or EVH tone - its in them fingers!

Another good source for Duncans is www.crazytrainmusic.co.uk.

I'll probably get mine from there if nothing pops up S/H as the LR deal has left a bit more in the pot for pups.

Let me know how you get on.

Louise

Hey that's a useful link. I didn't find them when I did a search earlier. I could get a pair of SD Vintage P90s for ?113....

Hmmm.

stratman323 said:
Hey that's a useful link. I didn't find them when I did a search earlier. I could get a pair of SD Vintage P90s for ?113....

Hmmm.

I found them by accident when looking for a Quarter Pounder for my Tele.

Reasonable prices and quick delivery. They'll even order stuff in if its not on the shelf.

Louise

Got a couple of SD's kicking about, not sure what they are I'll have to find them!!I think a zebra '59 and a black '59 but not certain, if you're not in a rush I'll post back in a day or so

JohnA said:
Got a couple of SD's kicking about, not sure what they are I'll have to find them!!I think a zebra '59 and a black '59 but not certain, if you're not in a rush I'll post back in a day or so

Cool.

Not in any rush, just drop me a line.

Cheers

Louise

LuBee said:

What do you think of that? Probably too meaty for me, did you try Texas Specials for the Tele? The bridge is about 10k, is the 1/4 pounder more than that?

stratman323 said:
LuBee said:

What do you think of that? Probably too meaty for me, did you try Texas Specials for the Tele? The bridge is about 10k, is the 1/4 pounder more than that?

No went straight from whatever Fender put in MIM tele's and put the Quarter Pounder in the bridge (11.8k) and Hot Lead Tapped in the neck (15.6k full and 7.4 tapped). Threw in a 5 way switch which gives me the following combos

1. Hot bridge only
2. Hot bridge and neck combined
3. neck only
4. Vintage output bridge and neck combined
5. Vintage output bridge only

Its a very versatile mix everything from broadcaster tones through to something a little hotter. But not as over the top as you'd think it would be.

Louise

Wow, that's a new one one me, I thought I had considered all the Tele options, but that never occurred to me. Sounds like it could be confusing to drive if you're used to a standard Tele?

stratman323 said:
Wow, that's a new one one me, I thought I had considered all the Tele options, but that never occurred to me. Sounds like it could be confusing to drive if you're used to a standard Tele?

Its not that confusing really, its just more akin to a strat setup but you get hot on position 1&2, vintage on 4&5 and 3 is somewhere in the middle.

It was recommended to me by a tele freak, I did my usual want something different but not sure what and he said this covered loads of bases.

And he wasn't wrong!

Interesteing chat fellas. I have been wanting to change the pickups in my SG as I feel the MKIIs in it now just don't sound good. After reading around and doing search after search, I decided to give LeoSounds an e-mail. Michael recommended a pair of Growldogs for a more hardrock sound or CreamGen for a more classic PAF sound. So anyways, looking at the prices, even after shipping they were very similar to what I'd pay here for SD 59's and much less than a set of Seth Lovers or whatever. So I ordered the Growldogs. Should be here in a week or so. If I don't like them in the SG, I'll try them in the LR.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Jason

LuBee said:
No went straight from whatever Fender put in MIM tele's and put the Quarter Pounder in the bridge (11.8k) and Hot Lead Tapped in the neck (15.6k full and 7.4 tapped). Threw in a 5 way switch which gives me the following combos

1. Hot bridge only
3. neck only

Its a very versatile mix everything from broadcaster tones through to something a little hotter. But not as over the top as you'd think it would be.

Louise

Do you have the wiring diagram for that? I don't recall seeing that one anywhere. From your description, it looks like you don't have the option of tapped neck on it's own? So position 3 will be 15.6k neck?

stratman323 said:
LuBee said:

1. Hot bridge only
3. neck only

Louise

Do you have the wiring diagram for that? I don't recall seeing that one anywhere. From your description, it looks like you don't have the option of tapped neck on it's own? So position 3 will be 15.6k neck?

Here you go, yep neck full power in position 3

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tapped_tele_5way

Thanks. It looks like that diagram would work fine with an ordinary Tele neck pickup, since only two wires are used?

stratman323 said:
Thanks. It looks like that diagram would work fine with an ordinary Tele neck pickup, since only two wires are used?

Think I gave you some duff info on my post last night - QP is in the neck so get 11.8 in position 3 and Hot Tapped is in the bridge. Not the other way around......Doh...had a blonde moment there.

So any ordinary neck tele pick up will work for this schematic.

Louise

Ah, OK. I assumed the quarterpounder would be too dark & heavy sounding in the neck position, but it obviously suits what you play?

stratman323 said:
Ah, OK. I assumed the quarterpounder would be too dark & heavy sounding in the neck position, but it obviously suits what you play?

I wouldn't say it was dark, big and fat, with plenty of umph if you want it!

Back