Which guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meefly

Reaction score
Hello,
I'd appreciate some advice from you learned people out there.

Just started learning guitar and buying an electric (tokai) but am struggling to decide on the style. I'm into lots of different styles from classic rock n' roll sounds of 50's 60's, soul etc onwards. I don't care for metal at all and am NOT really interested in elaborate solos etc (I suppose that means more rythm than lead?)

wondered what style of guitar ppl would advise. I liked Les Pauls but now I'm starting to think 335 stlye with f holes etc would suit me best...?

Whaddayareckon?

Thanks in advance

i have a Tokai Love Rock LS95F (Les Paul copy)
and it really is a great guitar. plays EVERYTHING from jazz to rock, does blues great also.

and as a bonus it is very gig worthy, and i do gig with it quite often.

Thats a hard question to answer really, your tastes in guitars will change as you get to know more about them and your music tastes change. I am a Les Paul guy myself but that doesn't help you. How much do you want to spend as this is going to help you decide what to buy and who are your favourite guitar players, it may be their sound you are after and this will also help decide what you want.

Mick

People play all sorts of music on all sorts of guitars, just because a Les Paul is associated with 'Rock' doesn't mean it's not great at other styles, same with 335's, Strats, teles they are all very versatile.

Just get the one you like the look of best :D

I think John's reply about getting the one you like the look of is the best advice.

IMHO tele's are the most versatile and great for rythym but as everyone else has said it depends on what you like really.

Go to a guitar shop and spend an afternoon trying out the different types to see how the sound, feel and play - kind of hard for anyone to tell you what YOU want to play.

What these guys have already said really. In addition, I would say that you need to answer the following questions:

- what players do you like the best?
- what songs are you looking at learning?
- how much money have you got to spend?
- what other equipment are you going to need (ie, amp, pedals, cables)?

Overall though, like JohnA, I would say go for the guitar that looks the coolest. Just check with us first to make sure it is of a decent quality.

What you mean this guitar:

garymooreS2S.jpg

For a brief moment I thought that was a photo of a good guitarist. Then I realised that it wasn't?Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks after all.

Going back to the original question, I'd probably go more for how the various styles of electric feel when you play them, rather than how they look, meefly. Within reason, of course. You don't really want to look as if you're in a Kiss tribute band if you mainly want to play country.

BlueThird said:
Going back to the original question, I'd probably go more for how the various styles of electric feel when you play them, rather than how they look, meefly. Within reason, of course. You don't really want to look as if you're in a Kiss tribute band if you mainly want to play country.

Nah, looks are the most important. If you go for the one that feels best, then you won't satisfy your gear-lust fully. Then you'll go back and buy the coolest looking one at a later date and will have spent twice the money. :lol:

But that'll happen anyway. I bought two in September ? my first new guitars for years ? and they both look great and play brilliantly. So what do I want to do now? Buy two more. Or maybe three. The only thing that's changed since the start of September is that back then I thought one more would be enough.

At least if you buy the one that feels right it's right when you're playing it, rather than when you sit there gazing at it. And if it's ugly you don't run the risk of drooling over it. :)

:lol: Some brilliant advice above. MOSTLY- how much do you want to spend and how serious are you, (you in for life or just checking it out?).

Do you want to spend $1000 or $300 (US)? The difference- Tokai or Fakai. Fakais aren't bad for $300, and play great! (I have both). but don't match the tone of a MIJ Tokai.

There's of course many other choices, but after all you are here at the Tokai forum. :wink:

I've never owned a 335, but probably will someday. :D

Axchisler said:
I've never owned a 335, but probably will someday. :D

I bought a Tokai 335, & it's an excellent guitar. But I'm still not quite sure what the point of a 335 is....

:-?

Get yourself a Flying V .....you won't regret it .......

it's almost become the anti-hero guitar .....

it's probably the last thing you expected to hear ...but you'll smile every morning when you see it ..... give it a try !!

:wink:

Have found a beautiful tokai les paul 2nd hand just what I was looking for initially.
However I'm thinking 335 may suit the style I prefer more, I do love the sound of the ones on youtube.

Learning stuff like chuck berry, Beach boys, eddie cochran, beatles, sam cooke....

I'd say my budget is about ?500. generally looking at 2nd hand as want MIJ but can't afford to shell out the big bucks.

Would LP/335 be easiest for beginner, heard u can get a lot of feedback from semi hollow body guitars

Appreciate your help guys

ahhhh feeeeedbaaackkkk..!!!!!..don't diss it learner dude....!!

listening to Hendrix playing 'Star Spangled Banner' was the moment i decided i wanted to play guitar.....

I think the Telecaster may be more suited to your style ..

PS ..could someone post Hendrix at Woodstock ....i thank you ...

Latest posts

Back