Which Bridge and Saddle for Tokai Love Rock MIJ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squealer

Reaction score
Hey there...

i'm new in this forum! I'm from germany and own a gibson lp studio and a tokai love rock mij. I bought the tokai last winter. But now i have big problems with it. It sounds very dull and it's not very nice to play on it. When i put new strings on it it sound immediately dull and quiet. Kind of lame. First i thought that the problem is the saddle b/c the bed/contact face seems very big and imprecise. This could be a problem for the dull and the sustain poor sound. It concerns mainly the not wrapped strings (g-h-e).
So i put the bridge from my gibson which is a duesenberg on the tokai and noticed a decided improvement. But it's not perfect. My Gibson sounds a lot more precise and clear. More attack and not a bit dull oder something.
So i think it's the bridge AND the saddle what is improper.

Now my question. Does or did anybody have the same or similar problem? Any suggestions?

Which material for the saddle and which bridge should i buy? Also faber kit? Which is the best or one of the best bridges for the tokai to get the clear and attackful sound i'm looking for? I hope you know what i mean.

Thanks and good bye
Dennis

It's probably the pickups but you'll need good pots, bridge and tailpiece too.

You can get everything you need here:-

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/index.php?cPath=31
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/index.php?cPath=32

For my Love Rock I got an Electronic Upgrade kit, a Tone Pros bridge and an Aluminum tailpiece. Add some good pickups depending on what style you play....obviously PAF-type would be a good choice for a Les Paul style guitar....there's a lot to choose from (they've tested a lot of them on the Les Paul Forum) and you have a great sounding guitar, as good as any Gibson.:D

Hey,

i already have good pu's. Those are Haeussel, a very good german pickup manufacturer...they are really very good! I have those in my Gibson too, and it sounds great. So the pu's aren't the problem here...

Aren't the Pots from the Tokai good? I think those are 500K Pots, isn't that good? Or do you mean that they are not qualitaitve enough?

Greets
Dennis

Hallo Dennis,

Herzliches Willkommen im Forum ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Before you'll change the bridge or the tailpiece I recommend to change the pots first - 500s , CTS, Audio Taper ... eventually also the caps additionally ... :wink:

http://stores.ebay.de/Rays-Custom-Shop_Electronics_Caps-Pots_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ6786076QQftidZ2QQtZkm

If there is no improvement in tone try the Faber Kit - Gottfried (togps) has very good stuff ... it will fit !!! :wink: :wink:

Roger

Hi,

first to say: thanks for the help!

But i can read 500K on my Pots. So aren't they already good enough?

And back to the problem with the dull sound. The sound is also dull and quiet when i play WITHOUT amplification. It even sounds dull and bad when i play only the guitar. So it can't be a problem with the Pots or the Pu's!

Bye
Dennis

Dennis,

so - it's your decision to go directly for a new tailpiece and a bridge ... notice that the tailpiece isn't included in the FaberKit - there are just the alu spacers ... the more expensive way ...

Roger

BTW - there can be a huge difference between 'pot' and 'CTS pot' ... :wink:

Hey,

so you think i should first get a new electronic kit with new pots and caps?
But this won't help with the dull sound 'unplugged'. Maybe some pics can help you imagine what the problem is?

See ya
Dennis

Dennis,

I just want to help you on the cheapest way to get your problem solved ... if you say it's dull unplugged - it is so !!!

So - there is no need to replace the pots and caps actually ... you're right!! 8)

Did you replace the strings already by new ones - sometimes it happens that bad quality or flawed strings can cause such a problem too ... ???

Roger

To me it sounds like you have a nut & bridge-saddle problem, as you are talking unplugged ..

Dull strings are usually due to a poor nut, ie, too wide cuts, not polished or whatever
A good read is Dan Erlevines books on how to set your nut & bridge up
You can find them at Amazon.com at a really good price.

I have a few guitars that sound "dull" on the G string but plugged in they are fine, but I do recomend the above books if you want to learn the fine art of setting up your own guitar, it's a great read!!!!!!
Hope this helps ya

.............. or may be you just got some very mellow sounding piece of wood, something that?s also wanted, depending on taste!

good on ya, "ACY"

Hi!
Looks way normal to me! It?s the strait Gotoh bridge, sounding good without complaints!

good on ya, "ACY"

P.S.: Just wait til you?re in the lounge, then we?ll se what?s wrong, or not wrong! More and more I?m getting the idea of your guitar just sounding right, as it is! May be something?s wrong in your electronics! example: ground connection where not wanted (Pot, or switch ........... jack ....... the cavities are painted with that shielding color!!!!! If a changed pot?s too close to that color you?ll get funny effects! :cry: )

Hi,

just one thing, it never sounded always dull. When i bought it from Togps it sounden brilliant! No dull or soft sound. I would have recognized it. But a few months later it sounded bad. Worse...

Bye
Dennis

Back