whats your first gtr & amp........

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet_Cherry_l.jpg

8) from 1959.

Early Squier Stratocaster Made in Korea - you can get a lot more guitar for that money today.
Peavey Audition Chrous - Clean tone, DISTORTION channel and lots of cheesy 80's Chorus. Yummy! :eek:

Traded the Squier for a head-less Hohner G3T. Made me look like Eddie Van Halen :roll:

In the early 70s my first guitar was a Hofner Galaxie (I think?), with lots of sliding pickup switches, and a geniune 1960s Fender Champ borrowed from my bothers mate. Got into girls shortly after joining a band in the late seventies and vitually stopped playing for almost twenty years!

Dave

An old acoustic given to me by my Gran with a pickup taped across the soundhole. Played it through a valve reel-to-reel tape recorder - sounded like cr4p but superb fun when you're 12 :D

First 'real' electric was an early 60's Hofner Verithin semi that I bought from a mate at school for ?15, then an Ibanez Blazer (proper old-school MIJ) brand new from one of the shops on Oxford Road when I was student in Manchester in 1980.

Great thread 8)

stratman323 said:
ganzua said:
Now, my holly grial amp would a low wattage tube amp with two channels; channel one; 60s Blonde Bassman, channel 2; JCM800 :lol: No digital emulation. Does it exist?

I don't think he does one in his range, but I imagine that Dennis Cornell could make you one. Probably wouldn't be cheap though.

Hey Stratman :D

I've actually been offered some custom builds but it would be cheaper to stack a real bassman head over a real JCM800 head :lol:

I had a Sakai SG with a rubbish trem at about age 14 - the amp was 10 watt with volume and tone, and covered in dark blue vinyl, no idea of the maker.

Then I managed to convince a mate at school to sell me his Hondo LP copy, and gradually customised it (badly) with some Dimarzio pickups. It didn't work out too good. It was sold and I didn't bother with guitars for a while as both the ones I'd had experience with had been pretty lousy.

Finally, much later I got going again with an Epiphone Japan Riviera - great guitar that I should never have sold. I still don't have a decent valve amp though!

My first guitar was a monkey wards Global LP copy. Absolutely horrible.
I couldn't afford an amp so I hooked the guitar up to a set of cheap walkie talkies. Sonic hell.

My first guitar was a quite good enough spanish guitar from a sp,a anish builder from Madrid,but my first electric was bought for me at 18 after saving during a long time,a preciousVester Charvell copy from korea,not a quite good guitar I exchanged for a Epiphone SG(worst guitar but easily to sell).Next one was a Tokai of course an AST-56 and after that a Love Rock from I got from Universe,only dealer at that time we knew and higlhy recomended.

Back in 1977, at age the age of 12 my dad bought a Suzuki Western guitar, for himself and for me, but there was no way I could get a tone from it, so we swapped it for a... classical guitar- a Levin.. Boring idea... after 1 year of fingerpicking andante the teenage hormones kicked in, and I bought an old Santana LP copy, black with white bindings and gold hardware, and a very old tube amp combo through my girlfriends dad for 50 US dollars. He was trading HI-FI equipment, and knew some people trading old electronic stuff, and this amp had been sitting somewhere in a basemant for a long time.. I had no idea what a tube amp was, well.. I had know idea who I was, but after 1/2 an hour of magical sounds from the HOT cooking tubes.. It sounded like an elephant blowing it?s nose in a giant paperbag, (the speaker was really breaking up).. the whole amp litteraly melted down leaving a thick bluish smoke and a smell so awfull I can still taste it.. I was very, very disappointed, and the meltdown caused me to stay away from tube amps for a long time.. I had it replaced with a new Lab amp. 60 watt 1x12" solid state. Dull and boring sound. So when I took up guitar playing recently, I realised what I had been missing all those years.. The sound of an elephant blowing it?s nose in a huge paper bag..!
:D

ganzua said:
stratman323 said:
ganzua said:
Now, my holly grial amp would a low wattage tube amp with two channels; channel one; 60s Blonde Bassman, channel 2; JCM800 :lol: No digital emulation. Does it exist?

I don't think he does one in his range, but I imagine that Dennis Cornell could make you one. Probably wouldn't be cheap though.

I've actually been offered some custom builds but it would be cheaper to stack a real bassman head over a real JCM800 head :lol:

Actually a Cornell Plexi 45/50 will get you VERY close to what you are looking for, a JTM45 is a bassman clone, and does the most beautiful cleans and a JTM50 is really the predecessor to the JCM800, lots of gain on (spinal) tap!

My first electric was a 1975 Gibson Les Paul Custom black beauty, used. I bought a new Peavy Classic 2x12 amp to go with it.

I paid $375.00 for that Les Paul in 1978. Who knew ..... I could have had a '78 Tokai LP Rborn LS-120 instead. My bad.

JohnA said:
ganzua said:
stratman323 said:
ganzua said:

Actually a Cornell Plexi 45/50 will get you VERY close to what you are looking for, a JTM45 is a bassman clone, and does the most beautiful cleans and a JTM50 is really the predecessor to the JCM800, lots of gain on (spinal) tap!

You guys are boring ! :) Sorry, but stick with the thread.. ?

labbi said:

Easy there, Tex. I'm sure a few folks could say the same thing about your lengthy discussion of martial arts on this guitar forum.....but have the manners not to say so. We all stray now and then.... so lighten up a bit.

marcusnieman said:
labbi said:

Easy there, Tex. I'm sure a few folks could say the same thing about your lengthy discussion of martial arts on this guitar forum.....but have the manners not to say so. We all stray now and then.... so lighten up a bit.

Sorry man, I agree with your statement. Thats why I moved the martial arts discussion to the non tokai discussion area.. Anyway, I know how it is to
discuss something I care about.. so my apologies.
Lars

My first guitar was a Penco bolt-neck SG that I got for Christmas in '73 when I was 14 years old. Penco was a house brand for Medley Music (a retailer in the Philadelphia suburbs). What little info I've been able to find suggests that Penco's were made by Matsumoku. My first "amp" was a Westinghouse solid-state stereo receiver driving Altec speakers. I promptly blew the horn tweeters (Altec replaced them under warranty) and the next Christmas I got a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

I had always been in love with guitar music but I never considered learning to play. Then friends of my parents who had been living in Japan moved back to the US and we went to visit them. Their son was my age and had brought back a Univox Hi-Flyer and a Yamaha amp (one of those weird wedge shaped ones with the huge rectangular white polystyrene foam speaker) and he showed me how to play "Secret Agent Man". Then he played a cassette of "Band of Gypsys" for me. I must have heard Jimi before that but I never paid much attention. But after messing around with his guitar and then listening to the first few minutes of "Who Knows" I had a burning desire to get a guitar and start playing.

I begged my parents to buy me a guitar. But I had slacked off taking piano lessons when I was little, and I had begged for a drum kit for Christmas a few years earlier and never learned to play it. So they figured guitar was just another passing fancy and told me I had to prove that I really wanted my own guitar by learning to play a song on my sister's crappy Kent classical guitar. I had a Beatles songbook left from my piano days and learned the chords to "Flying", and at that point they said they'd get me a guitar for Christmas.

Dad took me around to a bunch of shops looking at guitars in the $100 range. The only name brand we saw at that price point was a used Fender Musicmaster in a baby-blue color and I thought it was hideous and cheap looking. Then we went to Medley Music and I fell in love with that Penco SG. They had a Penco Telecaster that was pretty nice too, but SG's were what I pictured in my head when I thought of electric guitars. Dad told me I couldn't see him buy my Christmas present and we left with him planning to return to get it without me.

A few days before Christmas he told me that the shop owner had discovered some problem with the SG and he had bought the Tele instead. I was a little sad but beggars can't be choosers so I was resigned to getting my second choice. Then Christmas morning I ran downstairs, took the ribbons off the case and opened it up. Lo and behold, there was the SG I really wanted. Dad had wanted it to be a surprise and had made up the story about it being defective so I wouldn't know what I was getting. My best Christmas ever.

A few years later I had the Penco and a Gibson LP Deluxe. The other guitar player in my band had his dad's old Gibson SG and we both thought the Penco was better than it (mostly because the Gibson wouldn't stay in tune, even though it was a hardtail and my Penco had a Bigsby-style vibrato), so he ended up always using the Penco instead of the Gibson.

As the years went by I got more "sophisticated" and sold the Penco because it was "just a plywood copy with a bolt-neck" and it had the "wrong" headstock (Epiphone shaped instead of Gibson shaped) and the "wrong" inlays (blocks with rounded corners). Now I kind of wish I had kept it, but oh well -- live and learn.

labbi said:
Sorry man, I agree with your statement. Thats why I moved the martial arts discussion to the non tokai discussion area.. Anyway, I know how it is to
Lars

No worries..... I'll be the first to admit that I get off track. Sometimes threads run so long that it no longer resembles the intended topic after awhile.

Peace :wink:

marcusnieman said:
labbi said:
Lars

No worries..... I'll be the first to admit that I get off track. Sometimes threads run so long that it no longer resembles the intended topic after awhile.

Peace :wink:

Youre right ! :)

Latest posts

Back