What pickups are similar to U stamped tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrakS

Reaction score
Hi I'm a noob here, I've owned a goldstar since i bought it in around 84, I'll post some pics when I can.

I just bought myself a squier affinity to use as a 2nd guitar, it's quite nice for a cheap thing, so I'm going to put a decent tremolo block in it and vintage saddles etc.

But what I want to know is can anyone tell me what pickups to buy to make an approximate match to the U stamped pickups in my Goldy? The U's sound really defined with a much sharper/singing top end. I probably won't be into spending 100's of pounds on some super boutique p/u's but I'd like to get a little closer if I can

thanks

edit: my goldstar looks just like the blue matching headstock one in this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14178&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=stamped&start=15

Well, I'm fairly new here too, but I think it's going to be more difficult and costly to find a complete set of vintage Toaki pickups, than a set of good "Fender style" ones. Especially if you want them to drop into a cheap "Squier Affinty".

but if he spent the extra 30 bucks, on the original boxed tokai's v1's - the re sell value in years to come would be better.

JJMcG said:
but if he spent the extra 30 bucks, on the original boxed tokai's v1's - the re sell value in years to come would be better.

Hmmm, I remain to be convinced about that. VIs are are a lot less impressive than Us, IMHO. I never really understood why they changed from Us, unless the various V models were cheaper to buy.

Mike

JJMcG said:

For the pickups, ok, but not for the whole guitar. Whatever you apply to it, it'll still be a Squier Affinity.
And 30 bucks extra? Sorry, but I calculate a difference of 45 Pounds, which is double the price.

I can't believe those VI pickups on ebay are from a Springy :eek:

Anyway, I think VI's sound best on a one-piece maple neck strat to suit a player looking for complex clean highs more Buddy Holly than Jimi Hendrix :)

MrakS, if you want that woody tone I think you'll invariably need quality tonewood in the instrument. I have an old plywood Squier with the original ceramic pickups but I love it as an alternative to my Goldstar.

Wow a sudden rush of replies! Thanks all, I bought the affinity because it was dirt cheap in a pawn shop. I like the neck, but have no compunction about stripping bits out of it, replacing and generally modding it.

I've never really done this before, so if i really mess up it's no great loss. I was looking for something to emulate the pups rather than the real thing, the GFS pups look interesting esp. the 64's. I've heard some good things about tonerider too?

As to the wood, I appreciate that materials make all the difference, who knows I may eventually end up getting another body...the neck would then be all that remained of the original!

Anyway I have some artec "vintage voice" pups in there which don't think much of but I did get a steel block made (only ?22.00) and what surprised me was the difference putting vintage saddles on made- brighter, snappier sounding.

I'll be back when I do more stuff to it, but thanks again for all your help & replies.

MrakS said:
Can anyone tell me how the U's, E's etc compare to each other?

Typically E's have a more vintage vibe.... lower output, smooth tone

U's are more rock..... hotter, more edge, a little crunchier

I like both.... I'd prefer the E's tone with the U's output in a perfect world.

From the examples I have measured, Es tend to come out at around 5.5k to 5.7k, Us 6.1k to 6.3k with VIs, VIIs, IIVs and similar about half way between.

In contrast, a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 (Vintage staggered) is around 6.4k to 6.6k

stratman323 said:
From the examples I have measured, Es tend to come out at around 5.5k to 5.7k, Us 6.1k to 6.3k with VIs, VIIs, IIVs and similar about half way between.

In contrast, a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 (Vintage staggered) is around 6.4k to 6.6k

I like the Duncan SSL-1 pickups. My Edwards Blackie relic came with those. Nicely balanced, smooth tone and plenty of balls

marcusnieman said:
I like the Duncan SSL-1 pickups. My Edwards Blackie relic came with those. Nicely balanced, smooth tone and plenty of balls

True, they're good, but I tend to prefer the APS-1 - the Alnico II. I have 2 of these in my blue Goldie, & they are just that bit warmer, which I usually prefer. I think there's a lot of snobbishness about the Duncans - people assume that something more expensive than an SD will be better, when often they're not.

That's very interesting and useful information marcus & stratman, thanks. The U's in my Goldstar do seem to have quite a bite. But I didn't realise that were hotter than the more vintage types, not ever having swapped them out.

Anyway armed with this info I shall go out and find some vintage staggers with around those value...or maybe just whatever is going cheap on ebay!

The only place I seem to have some soloing (with the goldy) is on myspace, have a listen, this is with a clean sound.

http://www.myspace.com/markdsaunders

stratman323 said:
True, they're good, but I tend to prefer the APS-1 - the Alnico II. I have 2 of these in my blue Goldie, & they are just that bit warmer, which I usually prefer. I think there's a lot of snobbishness about the Duncans - people assume that something more expensive than an SD will be better, when often they're not.

i quite like the ssl1 and aps-1, but are they really that cheap? certainly not in the uk...

I've recently replaced the "V"s on my 1984 Tokai with Bare Knuckles and the "V"s are for sale if you want them (see my classified ad. from a month or so back). I'm not far from you near Worcester.

Back