Warmoth Tele

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throstur

Reaction score
This is one of my best sounding and playing guitars. A dead accurate clone of itself. :p :p It sings, moans and groans :lol: I put it together from Warmoth parts and Original Fender parts

Warmoth quartersawn chunky V neck. 22 frets, 10 - 16 compound radius, vintage Fender tuners.

Warmoth Swamp Ash '52 specs body, Fender Nocaster pups, 4way switch, staggered saddles, ashtray, vintage single ply pickguard, straplocks, shielded with copper foil and wired with cloth wire, I love it.

IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5585.jpg

IMG_5584.jpg

IMG_5583.jpg

IMG_5582.jpg

That looks like one sweet Tele..!!!
And grats for not going that well worn path of using Fender parts and then thinking that gives you the right to slap a Fender decal on the headstock :roll: .
Well done all 'round m8...hope you enjoy her for years to come :D

See?s my baby, unplugged she sounds almost like an acoustic guitar and the flat 10 - 16 compound fretboard makes her good for leads and soloing. The Nocaster pickups are awesome :p I have many exspensive high end guitars, but somehow I always end up bringing this baby + one of the others when I go to a gig :p

Hi guys, what are the advantages/ disadvantages of a quartersawn neck. That tele is one sweet guitar, i'm thinking of making a Olympic white strat using the warmoth parts.

Mick

The theory is that the quartersawn neck is stiffer and transmits its vibrations "differently" that a slab cut neck. I agree, having owned a Fender Relic with a quartersawn neck. I think is actually transmits tone more quickly making the guitar more responsive.

jmho :p

stratman323 said:
I guess I should know, but what is quartersawn?

Mike

From Wikipedia:

Quarter Sawn lumber is produced by first quartering the log lengthwise and then sawing each quarter lengthwise with parallel cuts, roughly perpendicular to the growth rings. It possess advantages over plain sawn lumber because of the orientation of the growth rings. Because the growth rings in quarter-sawn wood run uniformly parallel along the entire board the wood does not shrink and expand with seasonal variation in moisture as much as flat sawn wood. In addition because of the orientation of the growth rings, quarter-sawn wood is less prone to shrinkage, twisting, cupping and in many cases rot because sap wood is easier to isolate in manufacturing process. Purchasing quarter-sawn wood often requires direct contact and contract with the sawyer.
In acoustic guitars, quarter sawn wood is often used, especially for the sides which must be steam bent to produce compound curves.

OK, thanks. So what do Fender & Tokai use for their Strat & Tele necks? And how do I tell which of mine have quartersawn necks?

f5joe said:
The theory is that the quartersawn neck is stiffer and transmits its vibrations "differently" that a slab cut neck. I agree, having owned a Fender Relic with a quartersawn neck. I think is actually transmits tone more quickly making the guitar more responsive. jmho :p

I agree, IMO quartersawn makes them more alive
and more responsive. This Telecaster vibrates from
end to end and sounds acoustic-like unplugged.
Quartersawn is more expensive because you get
less amount of usable wood from a lumber that is
quartersawn then from the same lumber if it is
flatsawn. One way to describe it, simplifying it a little,
is to say that a flatsawn neck has the veins in the
wood lenght-wise, a quartersawn neck has the wood
vains more like across the neck. I hope this makes
sense, English is not my native language, I sometimes
have difficulties finding the right words to describe more
complicated things.
This links shows very well how quartersawing is done: http://images.google.is/imgres?imgurl=http://www.amishwarehouse.com/Assets/quartersawn.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.amishwarehouse.com/quartersawn.html&h=204&w=200&sz=25&hl=is&start=2&um=1&usg=__aAdBecFdeCG0n4Z3Ezy1mImeJFU=&tbnid=QtQq8dLNZcveIM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3DQuartersawn%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dis%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Fascinating, this explains alot to me.... I spent much of my late teens and early 20s half cut, or totally cut. It was said that my tone during such times could be a tad unpleasant.. Now i know why.... :D

Latest posts

Back