Volume Controls on LPs...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-10

Reaction score
Ok, a newbie question coming up. Until 3 months ago, I'd never even picked up a guitar, but earlier in the week a bought an LS85F.

I've just been experimenting with the pick-up selector and volume controls. I just want to make sure that I know how to use the volume controls, and to make sure they're working as everyone elses does as they're not working as I expected them to.

I know that the selector switches between neck pick-up (Rhythm), bridge (Treble), or both. If I select the neck pick-up, the bridge volume/tone controls do nothing. I'm happy enough with that. Conversely with the bridge pick-up and the neck controls.

Up to now I'd basically left both volume controls on '10'. If I select both pick-ups, I expected that if I dialled say the neck volume down, I'd get a gradual change in volume/sound. What happens though is that there's no effect until I get to about '1' when the volume from both pick-ups goes dead. This also happens if instead I dial the bridge volume down. My experiments are telling me that the way to control volume when using both pickups is to wind both volumes down to around '5' and to dial one down if dialing the other up, for instance '3' and '7' or '7' and '3'.

Is this the way volume controls on LPs work? I'm assuming so, rather than mine being faulty.

A bonus question: I'm just interested how much you guys (and girls?) use neck/bridge/both pickups, and under what circumstances?

Apologies, I've just thought of one more. I've got the tweed style case we tend to get in the UK. I presume that I should leave the strap on when I put it in the case. It's just that it's a bit of a tight fit. I put the leather bit of the strap at the neck-end down the side of the case and the lay the rest of the strap, which has padded shoulder bit, on top of the guitar. I can't really see how it could damage the guitar, but I'd be interested if anyone does any thing differently.

Cheers!

Hi

The volume control and tone controls on LP type guitars can be a bit confusing. When you select the middle position both volume controls work as described ie the both do the same thing, It's the way they are wired (and the way vintage LPs were wired). The wiring can be modified to allow blending of pickups - I've never felt the need so can't tell you if it's an easy task or not.

I find that I use the neck position a lot - I like the fat sound it gives - especially when driven hard. I tend to use the bridge p/up for more cutting stuff - with the right effects it gives a good metallica sound. I must confess that I seldom use the mid position - guess I like the extremes. Dont't be fooled by labels like rhythm and treble - use the one that works best for what the song !

I also have an LS85F (or 70F as it was) and a tweed case, generally I take the strap off completely before casing it (it rolls up and fits under the flap in the case quite well). Remember that as the LS85 has poly finish then the strap should not affect it adversly, however I have had straps mark guitars before by rubbing some of their colour off on them or even scuffing them (it can generally be polished out, it's just a pain)

T-10 said:
Is this the way volume controls on LPs work?

Yes. If you listen closely, as you roll off one volume control you will hear that pickup less in the mix. Once you hit 0, the whole signal becomes grounded so you don't hear anything even with the remaining volume on 10.

You can wire it so that you still hear the other pickup with one volume on 0 but it's a hassle and seems a bit pointless - if you're completely muting one pickup, why not just select it with the selector switch?

There's a great trick you can do with the LP volume setup. Set one pickup to 0 and one to 10. Play your song with the activated pickup, but on a sustained note flick between both pickups on the selector really really fast to create a killswitch effect:

KERRAAAAAA-ip-ip-ip-ip-ip-ip-ip-AAAANNGGGG!!

Yes. If you listen closely, as you roll off one volume control you will hear that pickup less in the mix. Once you hit 0, the whole signal becomes grounded so you don't hear anything even with the remaining volume on 10

Wow! I can never hear that - mind you never really tried it just assumed that both were killed

There's a great trick you can do with the LP volume setup. Set one pickup to 0 and one to 10. Play your song with the activated pickup, but on a sustained note flick between both pickups on the selector really really fast to create a killswitch effect:

That is a cool effect - couple that sliding on your knees and you're rockin'

bruceboomstick said:
That is a cool effect - couple that sliding on your knees and you're rockin'

If you listen to the end of John I'm Only Dancing by David Bowie you can hear this effect used brilliantly - and if you listen carefully you can actually hear him flicking the switch :lol:

Back