Upgrading the pickups of my ES-100

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Jones

Reaction score
I recently bought an ES-100 and I really love it ! The sound, the sustain, the neck... excellent ! However, I'm wondering if it's interesting to swap the MK-II's for other pickups. I'm thinking about putting some seymour duncans, do you think it will improve the sound ?

And what pickups do you think I should buy ? I'd like a good jazz/blues neck pickup, and a good rock/hard rock bridge pickup.

Hi Prof,

it's the most difficult question you're are asking ... :roll:

... because it depends on your personal taste and the tone your guitar is providing - and this depends on the wood ... is the tone more bright, more deep, more middle based ??? Nobody can give you a satisfying answer - but you !!
You have to check it out by "Try and Error" ... 8)

But I can give you some examples - the rest is your's ... as I also did it for myself !! :roll:

http://www1.gitarrebass.de/magazine/0502/paf.htm

Good luck! :lol:

Roger

A Lollar Imperial in the neck position would be excellent. Full range, great clarity, lots of low end. I've got a matched one of the same at the bridge as well and am very happy with them, but I'm more of a jazz/blues player. Not cheap, though.

Duncan Seth Lovers are proved to work really well on 335 guitars as well as solid LPs. I would place a Classic '57 without hesitation too and sometimes you can get them for a good price. I would like to try an Antiquity but I never did.....

I had Antiquities on a Les Paul once. They were a little too muddy in a LP, but very warm & honky & I bet they'd sound incredible on a hollow or semi-hollowbody.
Otherwise, might I suggest a Bareknuckle Stormy Monday neck & Riff Raff bridge.

Iv'e always used this guy
Handwound pup's as per YOUR requests

This is a long process as Dave is constanty in contact with you as to what sound you are after, before he starts winding your pickup's
Visit his site
Plenty of sound samples & reviews of his pup's

Have bought 2 sets of P90's ( really hot!!!!! 9.15k)(holy **** they GROWL)
Also a set of Strat pup's (man they rock)

http://www.sdpickups.com

Dave is a buzy man at the moment but will always have time for your emails
Give him my regards
Hawk

Back