Upgrades...what to do??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albino

Reaction score
Instead of GASsing a new Tokai I'm thinking about spending a bit of money upgrading my existing Love Rock. I'm not sure if it's a LS65 or 75 lefty, but I bought it in Japan and it has a quilted matt finish top.
I'd like to get as much natural sustain out of it as possible and I'd also like to improve the pickups, or at least the subtlety of the tone when using the volume and tone pots.

I know that new pickups (poss Bareknuckle mules) would make a big difference but if I upgraded these then I presume I'd need to upgrade other bits to make the most of them.

Also does it make a difference being left handed in terms of the range of products available?

Here are some old pics from when I first got it -

CIMG0324.jpg

CIMG0328.jpg

Thanks!
Al

Just upgrade your current guitar. Try a tone pro bridge, aluminum tail piece and I would put a set of the Suhr Aldridge pups in it.

Have you checked out the pre-wired electronic upgrade kits from RS Guitarworks? (i.e. improved pots, caps etc.).

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms/index.php

I have heard good things about BK pickups, but there are so many companies that supply good PAF type replacements that it would be hard to decide where to start. Everyone that replaces their pickups seem to have their favourites. Some of the ones that get raved about online are Wolfetone's Dr Vintage, Seymour Duncan 59s/Antiquities/Pearly Gates, RS/Fralin Truetone 60's, Dimarzio Virtual PAFS etc etc.

I don't have much personal experience with the aftermarket replacements but I'm sure some of the guys here have done the switch, or maybe you could try the manufacturers who have soundclips on their websites.

Is there something specific about the tone of your guitar you don't like, or would like to change? This type of modding can get expensive!

Hi - thanks for the replies...
Cherry - I guess what I'm looking for is a tone that responds better to any changes with the vol or tone pots. I find that when I roll off the volume with either pickup things become quite muddy. It's pretty similar with the tone pot where things just get muffled below about 9. I know things can get pretty pricey and maybe one of the RS kits could be the first step. Anyone know if I'd need the short shaft or long shaft?? :oops:

I also had a look here to and they seem to do pretty much the same type of thing only UK based and it looks like a la carte rather than specific pre-wired jobbies (unless you've got a strat).

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_029.htm

I think a step-by-step approach might be the best way so I can hear exact changes as I go along.
Anyone already modded who wants to throw in their twopennethworth? :D

Cheers
Al

Hey albino - if it's a more responsive tone/volume setup you're after, I would definitely take a more detailed look at the RS kits. They're designed to provide exactly what you're after.

Hi Al,

Welcome aboard ... :lol: :lol:

I've done all upgrades you've mentioned ... and I can say : It's worth the money you'll have to spend ...
... except the RS-kit ... :roll:
Don't know how familiar you're with soldering and electronics ... but If you are ... buy those stuff loose and put it together for yourself - it'll be enough of money but at a reasonable price ... no need to spend the 'extra charge' for RS stuff ...
Buy good CTS pots and decent caps ( don't know what Tokai needs, for my Gibbo long shafts, for my Eddie short shafts ) and you'll be happy ... and if you don't want some coil splitting, do yourself the favour and replace also the stock wires by 2-conductor braided shield wires ... they are doing their part to a vintage sound as well ( '50's wiring mod) ...

Concerning the pups ... I have the BK Mules in my Eddie - my working horse - nice to more heavy sounding ... with the fitting pedals you can get every tone you like ... no muddiness.
I have WCR Fillmores in my Gibbo, my best warm sounding combination ... and I additionally have the Wolfetones DrV as a reserve ...
I like the Fillmores best ...

... but I agree - there are alot of good pup winders out there ... don't spend such a huge amount like I did ... confine yourself to buying not more than 3 sets ... there isn't so much difference ...
... some sound files ...
http://www1.gitarrebass.de/magazine/0502/paf.htm

As Ned mentioned ... put an Alu STP and a bridge with brass saddles on your guitar ... our forumate togps is selling those parts with a Faber kit, alu spacer rings which provide the contact between STP and body wood - give him a PM if you like ...

ABR-1-mess1.jpg

faber5-1.jpg

Roger

albino said:
I guess what I'm looking for is a tone that responds better to any changes with the vol or tone pots. I find that when I roll off the volume with either pickup things become quite muddy.

I would have thought a Tokai had this, but it sounds like the guitar is wired in the "modern" (post-1960!) Gibson method, with the tone cap/pot being fed from the the output of the volume pot, rather than the way they did it in the 50s, with the tone cap/pot coming off the input lug of the volume pot.

If it's not wired in the 50s way, do that first.

Latest posts

Back