TST100 help please - It's all mine, And the nitro verdict...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goestoeleven said:
Does rather make me wonder about the importance of the nitro/non-nitro question if the only way you can reliably tell is to wipe it with acetone? :-?

If we put a poly 1979 LS-50 and a nitro 1980 LS-80 next to each other I think most people would be able to appreciate the difference side by side.

colinhotrod said:
Got some acetone through the post today and was eager to check and see if the guitar is nitro or not.

The verdict is that it IS nitro, both body and neck, woo hoo. always thought so but nice to have conformation.

It would be nice to change back the middle pup and bridge back to original but they will be rarer than hens teeth to get hold of. Still over the moon with the purchase.

Colin

Congratulations Colin!

My umms and ahhs are put to rest ( thank gawd!)
You likely have got a couple of rare DiMarzio VS-1 in that guitar. (try get some today, they really are super rare)
The thin wires still used in TST-100 :cry: I would have thought Tokai would have used cloth covered, nevermind. The photo's you have supplied are really good ones too, and your guitar is indeed one sweet rare bird.
According to the Registry i think there is only 1 other TST-100 belonging to Peter MacGovern?
Very rare guitar indeed.
I am truly happy you have found that guitar, and with the bonus ST-100 bridge pieces from an earlier model springy due to the TOKAI stamp on the saddles (they were found on 1981 and earlier models)
Great news!

Nice one Colin!

That's a mid-1956 replica, just before Fender changed the string-tree to the butterfly. 1956 Stratocasters are generally supposed to have the soft V neck profile.

I think the bridge saddles are probably original. Tokai could have had some gold-plated hardware on the shelf for a couple of years or so since the Springy Sound was discontinued. Is the trem block steel?

Thanks Guys :)

I admit it is a little bit of an odd ball, esp with the colour code that no one has ever seen. There is no hard and fast rules with tokai, not every model had exactly the same spec which makes it difficult to I.D

Over the moon with the purchase, not everyone gets the chance of a ST100 never mind at ST50 money.

I have no idea of the money in these, should I put a value on it for insurance purposes and if so how much?

Colin

Perhaps the best way to value it for insurance purposes would be to look at villager's site & see how much he's charging for an ST80. Then add a bit on.

Cali Girl said:
If we put a poly 1979 LS-50 and a nitro 1980 LS-80 next to each other I think most people would be able to appreciate the difference side by side.

If you put my poly ST60 next to my nitro ST80, most players would notice a difference (despite Tokai using a harder form of nitro than Fender use). It's not a big difference, & it's questionable if it's worth the extra money, but there is a difference, even if you live in an acetone-free house.

colinhotrod said:
stratman323 said:
Perhaps the best way to value it for insurance purposes would be to look at villager's site & see how much he's charging for an ST80. Then add a bit on.

Sounds like a plan :D

Or togps. He often has interesting old Tokais for sale.

colinhotrod said:
Well its probably an 80 then, almost positive its nitro, both neck and body has the nitro aging cracks.

The more I look at the body on the front it does look like a 2 piece body.

Any other things I should be looking out for? ways to tell?
would a 100 have a 1 piece, or a 2 piece/center seam body?
I would assume a 1 piece body.

could it be a 100 neck on a different body; do the neck & body codes match?

if there was a 100 model with U pickups, then what model is this one?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8040

MIJvintage said:
colinhotrod said:
Well its probably an 80 then, almost positive its nitro, both neck and body has the nitro aging cracks.

The more I look at the body on the front it does look like a 2 piece body.

Any other things I should be looking out for? ways to tell?
would a 100 have a 1 piece, or a 2 piece/center seam body?
I would assume a 1 piece body.

could it be a 100 neck on a different body; do the neck & body codes match?

if there was a 100 model with U pickups, then what model is this one?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8040

Just had the neck off again

neck code is 2=5A

Body code is hard to make out but is def 2=5?

Its really difficult to tell if its a 1 or 2 piece, on parts it looks like a 2 piece centre join.

The U pup was def fitted afterwards. I think It is a 100. wouldnt be surprised with a 2 piece body on a solid colour like that.

hi,
i also own a rare bird, my TST80!
my goldie has the same black bottom pickup with plastic wires, they sound pretty good!
PICT6835.jpg

It has a rosewood fingerboard, so that's not the same neck shape as your TST100, mine is a "D" shaped.
but others species are similar: laquer finish, 2 pieces center seam alder body, really lightweigth: near 3,1kg!!
PICT6831.jpg

PICT6833.jpg

PICT6834.jpg

My 2 "80": 1982 TPB80 & 1984 TST80, both laquer finish!
PICT6947.jpg

doudoubass said:
hi,
i also own a rare bird, my TST80!
my goldie has the same black bottom pickup with plastic wires, they sound pretty good!

They don't look like any pickups I have seen in Goldies, I would guess that they are replacements.

I wonder why somebody attacked that poor Goldie with a pan scourer?

:eek:

Mike

i bought that guitar several months ago on yahoo auction japan.
i don't know why the last owner do that job on the body; really awful relicing!!
but the scratches are not deep and i'll paint it (by a professional!) in another color, perhaps burgundy mist...
black pickups seem to be original, like the TST100

i think you're right about the black bottom pickup:
if you look at the '84 catalog, TST100 & TST80 have DiMarzio VS-1!
http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_05.html
some pictures of the pickup:
http://www.caparisonforum.com/pickups.php

doudoubass said:
i think you're right about the black bottom pickup:
if you look at the '84 catalog, TST100 & TST80 have DiMarzio VS-1!
http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_05.html
some pictures of the pickup:
http://www.caparisonforum.com/pickups.php

Yes, DiMarzio FS-1 found in SS80's (black bobbin)

DiMarzio VS-1 DP-108 found in Springy Sound from 1982 ST100+, then in Goldstar 1984/85 TST80+

Of interest, the wiring used on your TST80, is that cloth covered and/or plastic covered? black and white...
Mick

Back