tst-56 ? Maybe? Bueller? Bueller?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always felt it was a bit weird as it was 5 way, but the 1,3 and 5 are more stable positions, and the 2 and 4 felt weaker to have it in.

It is hard to sort this out because the electronics are not all clearly off of one guitar or another.

And the serial number, switch date, and body date do not fit nicely. Switch date may be later than the body, or the body is Feb. 1984, but that is late for that serial number I believe ?

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether to be a bit disappointed that it was not 'all original', or happy that it became unique and had a journey!

Guess it doesn't matter too much as the electrics and bridge are now in long term storage!

Here is what I know:

The 4 digit neckplate does not go with that neck nor those pickups.

SN 2356 probably goes with a 1982 ST80/100/120, TE80/120 or a 1983/84 TST60/80.

The pickups are for a TST50.

The 2-6 neck does not go with the 2=1 body

The switch and the pots don't go together and are 4 years apart.

Last edited:
You bet. It is fun when you have a mystery like this one.

Not sure what other info we would need to sort this out.

Maybe a clearer idea of the date range of that serial number? The 4 digit examples are all over since they were never very common.

That serial number is for a particular type of neck, which you don't have, so it was definitely an assembled guitar. Explains why it has been such a mystery.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether to be a bit disappointed that it was not 'all original', or happy that it became unique and had a journey!

Guess it doesn't matter too much as the electrics and bridge are now in long term storage!
Think of it as a guilt free custom build. Glad you have it set up the way you like it. A 10 position switch sounds wild.

47061-262a48cad4920f1ee3b3d9e4e8720c04.jpg

Btw, you had asked what the 2 in the code stood for. It’s the month. So February. The second number is a batch number.

They are separated by an equals sign up until around 1986. Then you see the hyphen sign.

I’ve seen mixed codes where the body has one and the neck the other in the mid to late 80s. But having the symbols different, the batch number different, and all the other mismatches tells us it was assembled by a previous owner out of at least two guitars.

Back