"TOWER RECORDS"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOKAI JOE

Reaction score
:) hello guys tokai joe still here really ready to go away but i just
remembered this today and felt like i gotta leave something to
remember them by. it's that "Tower Records" that we loved so much
in the 80s and 90s. they used to be around so many before but now
only some are left mainly in the asia. amazon is great but we just
used to hang out there so much didn't we? i really used to do that
whenever i had nothing to do in wherever i was. in japan and in USA.
it's been quite a while since they are gone mostly but i still miss them
a lot whenever i remember them deeply.sometimes i really wish
they are still everywhere today like before yet i dont know if i go to
them as much as like i used to now. so a contradiction but it's really
true i really loved them and still love them deeply in my memory.
any good warm heart story from u guys everywhere in the world?

"no music, no life" they said. still mostly true ....... tokai joe. 8)

Tower_Records_Sunset.jpg

@ Tower Records in hollywood, LA today.

TowerRecords_Shibuya.jpg

@ Tower Records in tokyo, japan.

@ a bit of their history from wiki for new kids who maybe dont know them well.

Tower Records is a retail music chain that was based in Sacramento, California, USA. It currently exists as an international franchise and an online music store. Starting on October 6, 2006, all 89 Tower Records stores in the United States prior to liquidation held "going-out-of-business" sales before final shutdown on the night of Friday, December 22, 2006. Tower.com was purchased by a separate entity and was not affected by the retail store closings. Seven Tower Records stores still operate in Colombia, five in Mexico, two in Ireland, and a number in Israel, Japan, and Malaysia.
Tower was founded in 1960 by Russ Solomon in Sacramento, California. The store was named after his father's drugstore, which shared a building and name with the Tower Theater, where Solomon first started selling records. The first Tower Records store was opened in 1960 on Watt Avenue in Sacramento. Tower Records on the Sunset Strip Seven years after its founding, Tower Records expanded to San Francisco, opening a store in what was originally a grocery store at Bay and Columbus streets. The chain eventually expanded internationally to include stores in Canada, UK, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Ireland, Israel, UAE, Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador, and Argentina. The store also established Tower Records stores in Japan, but those stores split off from the main chain and are now independent. Arguably the most famous Tower Records outlet was the one located on the north side of Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, California. Across the street was the Tower Video store, also closed in 2006. In addition to CDs and cassette tapes, stores also sold DVDs, PSP movies, video games, accessories, toys and electronic gadgets like mp3 players, while a few Tower Records stores sold books as well, such as the stores in Brea, California, Nashville, Portland, and Sacramento. All these product lines are also available at Tower.com, which got its start in 1995 as one of the first music retailers to set up shop on the Internet. In New York City, twin Tower Records stores operated on and near lower Broadway?one an annex that sold vinyl records, and the other selling modern items (CDs, DVDs, etc.). The store in the East Village was famous in the 1980s for selling albums of European New Wave bands not yet popular in the U.S.

and "was a noted hangout for teenagers from throughout the metropolitan area".

8) http://r5records.com/
@ R5 Records a new store founded by Russ Solomon at the Sacramento Broadway Tower Records location.

I've been to the store in the photo....talk about small world..!!!

http://www.banderasnews.com/0612/ent-towerfades.htm

:p today's world Tower Records situation.

http://www.thetowertheatre.com/tower/default.asp

:) Tower Theatre......the origin of the name Tower Records.

:D thanks a lot for Tower Records all those years. hope you come back
someday somehow. No Music No Life!

TOKAI JOE said:

You can thank iTunes, Limewire, Napster and other downloadable sources of music for a big part of the demise of the brick and mortar record stores. Times are changing.

Ozeshin said:
If you mean the one in Hollywood, Yep, small world. I used to live down the street (west of La Brea on Sunset) from that store for 15 about years.

marcusnieman said:
TOKAI JOE said:

You can thank iTunes, Limewire, Napster and other downloadable sources of music for a big part of the demise of the brick and mortar record stores. Times are changing.

8) we all know that marcus.......talkin about a nostalgia here u know.......

Innadaze said:
Ozeshin said:
If you mean the one in Hollywood, Yep, small world. I used to live down the street (west of La Brea on Sunset) from that store for 15 about years.

8) is the TR building still there today in 2009? how are they now?

8) does anyone here know what happened to the stockton store
building after they closed it down?

TOKAI JOE said:
Innadaze said:
Ozeshin said:

We?ve lived in the South Bay for nearly 20 years, ?Wave!? So I go to Hollywood only if I have to these days, but the last time I was by there was at night a couple of months ago (and wasn?t really paying attention) but I?m pretty sure the building?s still there. I think it?s been painted over a couple of times and used for an event or something else but I think it was boarded up and there wasn?t any active business there when we drove by. The best place to go for records in LA for the last 7 or 8 years has been Amoeba on Sunset in old Hollywood.

8) thanks LA man.......so amoeba huh..........they must be pretty good!

http://www.amoeba.com/

Innadaze said:
TOKAI JOE said:
Innadaze said:
Ozeshin said:

We?ve lived in the South Bay for nearly 20 years, ?Wave!? So I go to Hollywood only if I have to these days, but the last time I was by there was at night a couple of months ago (and wasn?t really paying attention) but I?m pretty sure the building?s still there. I think it?s been painted over a couple of times and used for an event or something else but I think it was boarded up and there wasn?t any active business there when we drove by. The best place to go for records in LA for the last 7 or 8 years has been Amoeba on Sunset in old Hollywood.

8) so is it true that voltage n gtr r us n som others used to be around
guitar center on sunset is no more? do they still have that little
juicy burger stand right next to guitar center now? i got a tees from
them in 1991 and its all worn out now but sure still very cool one.
are they still there today? an good old man and his lovely
daughter or som? whats their name?
the sunset grill if i was right?

http://www.sunsetgrillhollywood.com/

8) just found this and looks like they be really som new lately!
used to be really just a small old burger stand with a few old
chairs. guess 20 years gone by is too long too much. gotta go back!
so whats your good old story about the sunset grill LA man??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naeapfW3GRo

8)  hav u seen them around the sunset those days LA man?
i asked people there when i was there around 1992 or so
if they seen guys around back then and som said yes
they used to see those guys there sometimes before.....
true LA man?

TOKAI JOE said:
Innadaze said:
TOKAI JOE said:
Innadaze said:
Ozeshin said:

8) so is it true that voltage n gtr r us n som others used to be around
guitar center on sunset is no more? do they still have that little
juicy burger stand right next to guitar center now? i got a tees from
them in 1991 and its all worn out now but sure still very cool one.
are they still there today? an good old man and his lovely
daughter or som? whats their name?
the sunset grill if i was right?

That was my old stomping grounds in the 70?s and 80?s?literally, I wore out a ton of shoes walking in those days. When I finally got some real money, I got out. I think the people you?re talking about were there at least up until the mid-90?s. I don?t know if they?re there anymore. The last time I was by there I think there was still some kind of eating place. But it?s not the same. When I lived there it was truly a burger ?stand? ? you stood at the window on the sidewalk and ordered. I think it has a door now but it was called the sunset grill all the years I lived there and there were a lot of hole-in-the-wall guitar stores and bar after bar after bar along there. It was a neighborhood then with houses and apartments like where we lived on the streets behind the businesses on Sunset and it?s still a neighborhood but the area?s changed a lot a lot of the old crap?s been torn down and replaced with new old crap.

When I first got there, the place was rockin?. The Sunset Strip just to the west was one big party everyday but none of us had any money?for long. It was a lot of fun living there. But the area got really seedy in the 80?s (still the same hookers, they just got old), a lot of scummy bums, runaways, junkies and all kinds of crap were everywhere, and in the 90?s when the soviet union broke up the whole place flooded with Russians for some reason. Everybody I knew who had ?made it? moved out either up into the hills or down on the coast like where we went. It?s still kinda run-down but in the last 10 years or so there?s been a lot of development and money coming in to revitalize Hollywood. Some of the same old guitar guys are there around Gardner and Sunset but it?s just different now. The worst thing is the traffic even before we left you couldn?t drive around there and it?s worse now.

8) thank you very much for the historical sunset blvd news here LAman.
thanks alot !

Hey there was a guitar store I went to in Orange County once or twice...a real small mom and pop type store...for the life of me I can't remember the name of it...it was across the road from Oscar Meyers(which is most likely gone as well)and there was a Guitar Center that I went to that was near a small airport?
My band used to tour the states in the '80's and we used to spend money like it was water...brought back Jacksons and tons of parts....I still have a Warmouth Kramer style neck with stunning birdseye....ahhh...memories.
The one thing i miss the most?
HERSHEY'S PEANUT BUTTER CUPS..!!!!!
I filled my carry on with em :p

Latest posts

Back