Tone caps - need advice

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitargoblin

Reaction score
Hi. I recently installed some Sprague Black Beauty .022f 400V caps in my Navigator Les Paul. I then used the stock ceramic disc caps as treble bleeds to counter-balance the treble roll-off when turning down the volume controls on the guitar, so that's no longer a problem.
The problem is that the overall tone with the Black beauties is darker than I'd like. They're supposed to be the holy grail of tone, as used in the fabled 59 Les Paul, but to my ears they just darken an already dark sounding guitar, making it sound muddy.
Can anyone recommend a cap brand or value that may open up the top end a bit more? I've heard good things about Hovland & Mallory caps.
I once tried a pair of Sprague Vitamin Qs in another Les Paul & had much better results, but they're quite hard to come by. I thought the Black Beauties'd do the same, but evidently not. BTW, I'm not sure if this changes anything, but in both cases I wired in the replacement caps according to the 50s schematic, ie from left lug of tone pot to middle lug of volume pot, as opposed to vice versa.
Any advice much appreciated!

I've heard good things about Hovland & Mallory caps.

Guitargoblin,

I have made good experience with the Mallory caps and the Hovland guitarcaps ...

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=102

http://stores.ebay.de/Rays-Custom-Shop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

... for VitQ look at this one ...
http://www.vacuumtube.com/capacito.htm

... they also have caps for guitars ...

Roger

Hi Roger, cool links, thanks. I've ordered a 0.01uf Vit-Q for the neck, as it's the really muddy one!

I know I'm gonna hurt someones feelings with this one but I recently tried the Hovland music cap, mallory and orange drop caps in the same guitar. I think I'm pretty handy at hearing slight tone changes but in my opinion I wouldn't spend more money than getting a orange drop. They all made the tone control useable but I couldn't hear a discernable tone change between the Hovland, mallory or orange drop.

Bob

I know I'm gonna hurt someones feelings with this one

No, you don't , Bob ... :lol: :lol:

... because I know that there are different opinions on the benefit of the caps ... 8)

Maybe that there is not such an improvement on a good sounding guitar with good pups and caps so that there's not a tremendous difference to hear ...

... but I made my first experience with a MIK EPI LP Custom with the stock pups and electrics and replaced the caps for Hovlands ... - what an upgrade !!

Roger

PS. ... and the Mallory caps are in excellent line with my Kloppmann pups and the '50s wiring on my Edwards.

Roger, Yes my statements are made with a great guitar and great pickups already installed but I can see your point. I think I'll try your suggestion out. I have a Epi dot that could use a little more "opening up" it's "choking" if you know what I mean and we'll see what happens!! :lol: I trade out most of the hardware and pickups in some of the lower models I use and find them actually decent quality guitars, that's the only way I can grow the collection with different sounding guitars and buy high end for my favorite stuff.

Bob

Back