Tokai TST-56 Questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunadan

Reaction score
I just purchased a used Tokai TST-56. It has a reshaped headstock and serial number 16509. I feel like an imbecile, but I can't figure out the dating codes posted on the site. I haven't taken off the neck. The codes inside the body cavities read "6 = 7" (that one's inside the neck pickup cavity) and "6 = 6 GS" (inside the control cavity). Is this an '84 or '85 model? Bridge saddles are the "FINAL PROSPEC" variety. Pickups have grey bottoms and "E" stamps. Pots are ink-stamped "A250K" (followed by the "ohm" symbol).

I noticed in previous threads that some people asked about this model being equipped (at the factory) with an 11-hole, 3-ply pickguard. Mine seems to be the same. There's still plastic underneath the volume and tone pots, and there were tiny rings of plastic underneath the pickguard screws. Seems like anyone who'd have replaced a pickguard would have removed the plastic before installing it, but maybe not.

I'm going to replace the original saddles (which are rusted solid, in spite of WD-40 soakings) with Callaham saddles. I don't have calipers to measure, but do I need the standard vintage-size saddles or the Fender Mexico-size saddles?

I also noticed in previous threads that some people have wanted to install 8-hole Fender pickguards on their Tokai Strats. However, I didn't see much commentary about this--mostly questions. Will I need to drill more than one extra hole in order to mount a Fender pickguard? Any other brands that I should/shouldn't try?

Thanks,
Spencer

Latest posts

Back