Tokai ST-60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigmania said:
Edit: I can see the pics again. Definitely not a hard V. I can't really even see the ridge or flattish sides. Hmmm.

If you look carefully, on the top of the skunk stripe, on the right, that little light stripe seams as it is following the neck shape.

OK. I see what you are saying.

felixcatus and I both have 2 different Springys with soft Vs and they are both slightly different, an ST100 and an ST80R.

He has done an amazing job of documenting these shapes.

I am wondering if this is a different V than the ones we have?

Deal. And hard to tell from pictures, but I guess it does kind of look like the shape of my ST80, whcih feels more pronounced than it looks for sure.

EXAw9AD.jpg

TDRBwBs.png

It's looking like all of the V necks on Springy and Goldstars are called '54 Vs?..

Note that the Spring '82 catalog does not specifically describe the ST80R neck shape which was a soft V, but mine and felixcatus' are just a bit harder than our ST100s, but still definitely not a hard V.

Sigmania said:
Here is what I was able to translate from the Spring '82 catalog. Translation is not perfect (help HAMAMATSU! 8) ), but a good place to start.

-'54 model (ST80.100.120) Small head stocks, Kluson type peg, string guide, V shape neck are all perfect.

-'58 model (ST60, 50) It may be mistaken for ‘54 at first glance, but it features a U shape neck and a parallel 2 way string guide.

-‘60 model (ST70R) rosewood finger board is a big feature. Shape. Hamochin U Shape. New love place with ST70.

-‘64 model (ST50R.60R.80R.100R.120R) Neck with laminated rosewood finger board. All models U Shape except ST80R

Sigmania said:
2NcDRww.jpg

-'54 model (ST80.100.120) Small head stocks, Kluson type peg, string guide, V shape neck are all perfect.

szuU4NH.jpg

-'58 model (ST60, 50) It may be mistaken for ‘54 at first glance, but it features a U shape neck and a parallel 2 way string guide.

d8W32qM.jpg

-‘60 model (ST70R) rosewood finger board is a big feature. Shape. Hamochin U Shape. New love place with ST70.

JhurUfy.jpg

http://www.tokaiforum.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=11&p=196131

Let's see when it arrives what it is really :)

As I learned in this short period of engagement with the Tokai guitars, there are a lot of uncertainties and contradicting information, which I believe all build up in this mystery and all the riddles, and for sure adds to the hype for already amazing instruments.

Additional two photos I got from the seller:

4219ydA.jpg

k0fdEFP.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/50329061-tokai-stratocaster-st60-1984-mij-sunburst-near-mint

I guess I am wondering which V shape it would be? Did Tokai make hard V necks?

5MLLR4q.jpg

Just wanted to add my perspective on different types of V necks on the early STs & TSTs. I just acquired a 1983 TST60 '54 model (4 digit serial number) and the V neck is both slightly wider and thicker than the V necks on my '79 - '80 ST80s & ST100s. You can feel the difference when playing the TST60 and then switching to one of the earlier STs with a V neck. I used digital calipers on the TST60 & a ST80 and the neck on the TST60 had slightly larger measurements all the way up the neck.

I would describe the TST60 '54 model neck as a medium V and the earlier ST80 & ST100 necks as a soft V. Hopefully others who have both STs & TSTs with V necks could share their perspective.

I think the diagram above for the hard V neck is exaggerated, but I do have some 1980 Greco SE Strats with what I consider hard V necks, more so than any other MIJ Strat that I played from that period.

Here's the 1983 TST60 YSO '54 model:

1679265275782.png

Last edited:
The seller said it is a "Its full, not base ball bat but full, light V,"
The distinguishing features of the maple necked Goldstar ST60 are,round string tree not butterfly,E stamped pickups,V neck and 4 digit neck plates and two piece body.The guitar advertised is an ST 50.

It depends on the year.

Here is the 1984 catalog specs for Goldstars.

TST50 '58U neck
TST60 '54V neck

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 5.40.25 PM.png
IMG_0812.jpeg

Last edited:
1982 catalog specs for Springys.

ST50 U neck
ST60 U neck

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 9.49.49 AM.png
IMG_0814.jpeg

Last edited:
Back