Tokai ST-50 2011, what?s your oppinion? HELP!!! NEW PICS!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beto88

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! My name is Alberto, and I am an spanish fellow who has just discovered about this great brand. I have just seen this Tokai ST-50 2011 for sale, but I haven't been able to find reviews or info about it. I have read a lot about vintage Tokai strats, but have not found anything about these new ones. I would like to know what you think of it, and, if possible, some info about the guitar. I apologize if this subject is repeated, but I have not found any mention to this "new tokais". By the way, this guitar is being sold for about 450 euros. Thanks very much!![/img]

You can see the pics here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4cae1u2dpww9kne/AADNZz0gMtiVtjiIOinb4_uEa?n=29289284

Hi Alberto,

Welcome to the forum

I haven't owned one, but it's likely actually an ST-33 or ST-70 acording to the 2010 catalog.

An ST-70 would have a made in Japan decal or stamp, alder body,
better pickups and hardware than a made in China ST-33.
An ST-33 would have a basswood body. I can't tell which this is from pics.

A vintage Japan ST-50 should be worth about that amount and would have a neck skunk stripe,
better pickups, a sen ash or alder body, depending on year of production.
Newer models have a 9.5 fret radius vs 7.25 fret radius on vintage models.

Thank you very much for your kind answer!!Owner says it has the Made in Japan decal, and I think it has alder body, but Im not quite sure. I have asked for some new pictures, so when I receive them I?ll post them here!

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a new made in Japan ST50 and it is really nice. I can't view your pictures from my phone but I have the Mark Kaye version. These retail new in UK at ?699 via Tokaiguitars UK. It is difficult to compare the vintage with the new in terms of material specs without playing them side by side and knowing actual material specs ( we still discuss this to this day) what I would as is that the build quality and playability of the new ones are are as good as the vintage goldies.

Member prudd had one for sale a while back so search for his name as author and he probably has comments and photos. Mine is pictured in a recent thread under Tokai guitars - how many Tokais do you own.

All the best

Thanks for your answer, you all are very kind and the info you share with us is very helpful!! Here I leave a link with the pics that the actual owner has sent to me this afternoon!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4cae1u2dpww9kne/AADNZz0gMtiVtjiIOinb4_uEa?dl=0

The made in Japan with serial number is not the same as mine. That does not mean that it is not a Tokai. I will check this weekend.

Iain

Thank you very much iainblack, It would be very helpful, since Im meeting the seller this sunday in the evening!! Cheers

iainblack... I have just seen your Tokai start book... A-W-E-S-O-M-E work there!!! What a great work... and beautiful guitars!!! Congrats!!

I have an export headstock 2012 Goldstar sound but the font of the numbers in the serial number above the Made in Japan is different than yours as well. I am not much help otherwise i'm afraid.

2tua0.jpg

Tokai guitars produces some strats with original fender style headstock for domestic market. Most dealers outside of Japan can not sell them because of copyright issues with Fender. Those guitars are known as TST50 Goldstar sound.
Body is from 2 or 3 piece swamp ash, neck is '60 style with rosewood or maple fingerboard, 7,25 radius and 21 frets.
BRIDGE: GOTOH Vintage Custom Tremolo ? PICKUPS: Tokai Vintage ST ? CONTROLS: 1 x V., 2 x T., 5-way Switch

They are made in Japan. Depending on the dealer wishes they could be provided with CRL Switch, CTS Pots and Switchcraft output jack.

Latest posts

Back