• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tokai Relic for sale/swap etc

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejonester

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm selling my Tokai relic in Violin Finish... :evil: because I'm short of cash... you know the story!

Any way, these are quite rare, about 36 made (Bob at Tokai says they stopped halfway through the 3rd year) so there is probably less than 36!

12 made per year!

The guitar features full relic job... very very good and not over the top! Wilkinson pickups, no serial, made in Japan stamp.

Theres quite a lot of info on these on this forum and it's a very very good guitar hardly played (by that I mean no fret wear).

I'm looking for ?600 ish I know 2 have been sold on this forum for that amout. These guitars sold originally from ?799 to ?1200. Given the numbers produced I think the price should be around this.

I Know most people state that these are LS70/75's however mine has LS80 in pencil in the rear pickup cavity.

Anyway I'd trade swap part ex (whatever) for a Tokai Strat/Tele or what have you.... thanks for looking

Heres the pics I hope :-?

http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/blackbird1979/tokai%20relic/?albumview=grid

Hi jonester,
interested in the relic, I once picked one up in a shop in Crewe, must have been around 2004, and was impressed, though at the time I thought the ?700+ price tag a bit over the top.
I dont know much about them (or tokai's come to that!) and ive not been able to find out much about the relics searching the forum or the net, any links would be appreciated. Why does it not have a serial number?
I trust there are no issues with the neck or electrics, is the top solid maple, or a veneer type top, and what are the pups like, are they worth keeping or replacing?

prudd said:
Hi jonester,
interested in the relic, I once picked one up in a shop in Crewe, must have been around 2004, and was impressed, though at the time I thought the ?700+ price tag a bit over the top.
I dont know much about them (or tokai's come to that!) and ive not been able to find out much about the relics searching the forum or the net, any links would be appreciated. Why does it not have a serial number?
I trust there are no issues with the neck or electrics, is the top solid maple, or a veneer type top, and what are the pups like, are they worth keeping or replacing?

I can offer you as a trade/p/ex the following:
Mesa boogie studio 22. 1986 mint condition, ive had it 22 years, never left the house, new valves recently. value is ?675ish.
1997 Levinson Blade strat, pre-production Texas satndard, value ?350ish.
Crafter acoustic , solid top, one of their top models, cost ?350, value now ?195ish.
failing that lot, theres always good old cash!. Im over in cheshire, so not too far to come try/buy it.
cheers, Paul

Sorry to hijack the thread, is that the true value of the Boogie? my local guitar man has had one in for years, asking ?375 for it. Think I should go in and snap it up.

375 pounds is very good price, the usually sale in Slovenia for 550-600 ? (460-500 pounds)

They're about $500 in the states second hand (saw two or three on my last trip) so ?375 is pretty good.

Hi AlanN,

Yes finding out about the relics is difficult, theres a few threads on this forum but for some strange reason it'***** and miss if I find them or not...must be the way I'm searching.

Anyway here's the story, the guitars are shipped over from Japan (no finish no hardware). They are finish and given the relic treatment in Sheffield (the home of Tokai in the UK the office is 10 mins away from my house!). All the hardware is then added, which is why they have different pickups (wilkinson) to Japanese Tokais. The reason for no serial is that they are not really a 'production' model offered by Japan... these where limted to the UK market only. This makes them rare 36 max!

The guitar has no issues, the neck is nice and 50's (my fav thing about the guitar). The frets are very good condition, no wear.

The pick ups are good, a bit hotter than tokai Japan (mk2), I think they are probably a bit better than Mk2's (which is what you get on most japanese Tokais sub ?1200).

The top is solid maple cap with a veneer flame, this is the same on all new Tokais below the ls150 (?1200 model) despite what people think! even some of the ls150's have a veneer I've seen them. (like I said we have the distributor for the Uk in Sheffeild and the biggest Tokai dealer here too).

Swap wise I'm really looking for a guitar. But I'm open to offers on the cash front!

Your welcome to come and try, bring a valve amp (or amp of your choice) because I only have a Vox Valvetronix at my home.

If your still interested personal message me for my phone number and address.

Thanks for reading :wink:

p.s It sounds like a les paul should full, fat and full of sustain. I've had 2 other Japanese love rocks... this is the better one in looks and sound

colinhotrod said:
prudd said:
Hi jonester,

I can offer you as a trade/p/ex the following:
Mesa boogie studio 22. 1986 mint condition, ive had it 22 years, never left the house, new valves recently. value is ?675ish.
1997 Levinson Blade strat, pre-production Texas satndard, value ?350ish.
Crafter acoustic , solid top, one of their top models, cost ?350, value now ?195ish.
failing that lot, theres always good old cash!. Im over in cheshire, so not too far to come try/buy it.
cheers, Paul

Sorry to hijack the thread, is that the true value of the Boogie? my local guitar man has had one in for years, asking ?375 for it. Think I should go in and snap it up.

On the Boogie front, Im going on what Ive seen the go for on Ebay etc. and the fact mines like new with original manual etc. I may of coarse be very wrong, as is often the case :D

Ok lets see, you've made 6 posts and a chat to Bob {no disrespect to Bob} and you come onto the biggest Tokai resource on the planet and try and tell us a load of crap. LS-70,75,80,85,90,95 -F... all the same model as the models are named on price in yen.
The top is solid maple cap with a veneer flame, this is the same on all new Tokais below the ls150 (?1200 model) despite what people think! even some of the ls150's have a veneer I've seen them. (like I said we have the distributor for the Uk in Sheffeild and the biggest Tokai dealer here too).

WRONG...LS-150 are all solid tops and there are a few models under the 150 that have NO veneer top.....The LS-90 and 85 have no veneer top at all and the new LS-150 is a solid non flame model. I would use MK2 pickups over Wilkinson any day, The mk2's are very good pickups and wax potted, even better. The mk 2's are on all but the highest 2 LP models and are used on ALL the ES models right up too the ES-175, and the high end SG-175 as well..
Most of the BIG Tokai dealers in the world are members here and as well as piles of collectors and players, so instead of a dodgey history lesson just stick to selling the thing.... :roll:

Mick

Thanks for that! what a lovely man. I noticed there was some people like this on this forum :roll:

In my experience the wilkinson pickups are a bit hotter than the mk2's thus making them better. (it's not open for debate it's an opinion).

I like mk2's I have had them on 3 other Japanese tokai's, swapped them all out for better ones in the end tho (plus I prefer pickups not wax potted if I'm going vintage). Again, my opinion.

Most sub tokai ls150's with a flame/quilt have a veneer over solid maple cap and some 150's... get over it!! (theres even a thread on this forum with pics). This again is my experience, yours may be different who cares it doesn't make the guitar sound different and there are bigger things in the world to worry about!

I'd like to sell my guitar now if thats ok so please don't bang on about Tokai this and Tokai that... I don't care, they are good guitars well made some people like the pick ups some don't... some like tokais and some don't... who cares.

If it's all about the spec of a guitar or if the pickups are this or that, then you have lost what owning and playing guitar is all about.

Take care

I'd like to sell my guitar now if thats ok so please don't bang on about Tokai this and Tokai that.

Thats exactly what you did mate along with a lot of misinformation. We get a few like you that only come here to sell and have no interest in adding anything useful. For your information the "veneered" 150's you refer too are the old LS-135's and NOT the UK LS-150's that are referred to here.
When are we going to put into place the suggestion that you must be a "real" member to sell in this section, 8 posts and a lot of hot air don't qualify.

This is Fact not an opinion.....

Mick

though at the time I thought the ?700+ price tag a bit over the top.

At the time that was a lot of money for what was basically the lowest MIJ model in the range, a good little guitar but to expensive IMHO, you could still buy the LS-75, 80F for a lot less, it took 3 years to sell less than 36 of them that would probably be why.. I wouldn't think it would be too collectible either.

Mick

Boring!!!

some ls150 have a veneer... fact... nothing you will say is ever going to change that!!

Plus for your info I've been a member since 2007 under a different username forgot the log in so re-registered.

What a lovely welcome to a forum, I can see this is going to be great.

I've looked at your other posts too... usually bulling people or sticking your boring nose into other people 'for sale' items (both on here and elsewhere).

You need to start playing guitar and stop talking about them

and finally...

It's not your forum so stop referring to the members and yourself as 'we'... your not even a moderator!

Now, go and bore someone else with your pointless Tokai facts, it's geeks like you that have pushed the price of guitars up in the first place... always making something out of nothing.

Happy times!!

leadguitar_323 said:
though at the time I thought the ?700+ price tag a bit over the top.

At the time that was a lot of money for what was basically the lowest MIJ model in the range, a good little guitar but to expensive IMHO, you could still buy the LS-57, 80F for a lot less, it took 3 years to sell less than 36 of them that would probably be why.. I wouldn't think it would be too collectible either.

Mick

Now you have started to discredit my item... you really have a problem!

Why don't you get a real life stop trying to discredit something when your clearly wrong, again showing how much you really know about Tokai's (it's an LS80 which is not the lowest model in the tokai range!).

You are strange man... try having a conversation with a real person instead of doing all your chat online... it may improve your social skills.

Please don't post again I'm too old for this rubbish

Nothing there discredits anything about that guitar and if you could read, LS-75F, 80 F, 85 F, 90 F, and 95 F are all the same guitar, which at the time WAS one of the lowest models in the Made In Japan range, They started out relicing LS-75's but after 3 years the price of the original guitar went up hence the LS-80, it was 80,000 yen in Japan which equates to about 470 UK pounds. I am not discrediting the guitar just informing fellow members that may be interested, remember it is you that chose to come here and sell, no one knows you from a bar of soap as you have chosen to come here only to sell. If you were better known to the site it would be different, but like i said, you have only come here to sell, this ISN'T ebay.
Everything i have said here is correct......like it or lump it.

Mick

some ls150 have a veneer... fact... nothing you will say is ever going to change that!!

Plus for your info I've been a member since 2007 under a different username forgot the log in so re-registered.

What a lovely welcome to a forum, I can see this is going to be great.

I've looked at your other posts too... usually bulling people or sticking your boring nose into other people 'for sale' items (both on here and elsewhere).

You need to start playing guitar and stop talking about them

and finally...

It's not your forum so stop referring to the members and yourself as 'we'... your not even a moderator!

Now, go and bore someone else with your pointless Tokai facts, it's geeks like you that have pushed the price of guitars up in the first place... always making something out of nothing.

I should have read this one before replying again. Listen mate, WE have a right {as it is a forum} to comment on anything we or i like, you have been here 5 minutes and no one here knows you, for all we know you don't even have a guitar. The classified section is for ESTABLISHED members to buy and sell their guitars and what not. I personally don't give a sh1t what you think you know but you were wrong and you were trying to sell something by making it sound "rare" and better that it is, i corrected that. Now do a little research about exactly what you are bitching about and you will find out i am correct. The model numbers are based on PRICE and change almost yearly now.....understand..!!

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Nothing there discredits anything about that guitar and if you could read, LS-75F, 80 F, 85 F, 90 F, 95 F, and 100F are all the same guitar, which at the time WAS one of the lowest models in the Made In Japan range, They started out relicing LS-75's but after 3 years the price of the original guitar went up hence the LS-80, it was 80,000 yen in Japan which equates to about 470 UK pounds. I am not discrediting the guitar just informing fellow members that may be interested, remember it is you that chose to come here and sell, no one knows you from a bar of soap as you have chosen to come here only to sell. If you were better known to the site it would be different, but like i said, you have only come here to sell, this ISN'T ebay.
Everything i have said here is correct......like it or lump it.

Mick

I've seen that you even pick on people selling things on ebay too... your not safe anywhere your concerned!

Like I said I've been a member for over 2 years (please read my post) and no I'm not telling you my other username as you will probably go and slate some of the things I've said in other threads.

Yes your right an ls80 will be the lowest model at some stage... but it's not yet due to the volume of ls75's available and still being made or at least imported to the UK.

In 2003 the ls80 was not the base model.

The relicing adds time to the production which equates to a higher retail price so the price increase on this model is justified.

Thanks for saying its not collectable too... that was a classy touch... a real gent.

For all who are interested in a good rare Tokai ls80 with reliced finish with zero fretware and a fantastic tone... it's still available.

Hope the thread hijacker hasn't put people off

Back