Tokai LS145S + Gibson P90s = Gibson 1956 reissue ????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evamatze

Reaction score
Hi

If I put Gibson P90s into a Tokai LS145S (or now LS160S), would that make a Gibson 1956 Les Paul Reissue (or as close as it can get) soundwise?

I really love the sound of that guitar. Pat Boyack (currently playing in the Marcia Ball band) plays one and his sound is just great (in my ears).

I currently own an LS85S with Gotoh P90s which I like, but I think the Gibson P-90s would be a little bit wilder (which I sure would like).

I?m also thinking about upgrading to an LS145 (LS160S) model which should get my closer to the "real deal" ;-) and keeping the LS85S as my "backup" guitar.

I had a Godin LG SP90 here the last few days, equipped with high output Seymour Duncan P-90s, and they were too hot for my tastes (too raunchy), so something in the middle between the Gotohs and the Seymour Duncans would be just right for me. Would the Gibsons be right?

Thanks for your sharing your opinions/experiences

Matthias

evamatze said:
If I put Gibson P90s into a Tokai LS145S (or now LS160S), would that make a Gibson 1956 Les Paul Reissue (or as close as it can get) soundwise?

I really love the sound of that guitar. Pat Boyack (currently playing in the Marcia Ball band) plays one and his sound is just great (in my ears).

(1) Yes, it will. This is a GREAT guitar. Do a search here for a lot of info.

(2) Great player. We used to play the same joints when I was playing the Fort Worth-Dallas area in the early '90s and his then bassist, John Garza, filled in for ours on several occasions.

Hi

@stone free:
you're living in the right place, man. I would love to live in the Boston/Rhode Island area, because some of my favourite musicians are located there: Duke Robillard, the Love Dogs, Sax Gordon, Doug James (I also play saxophone, you know ;-)) Must be great to know all of them guys. On the other hand my favourite music place in the US is New Orleans, although I don't like the hurricanes there (not talking about the drink here ;-), which, in fact, I like very much :)).

Something else:
Is it worth buying an LS145S (and then upgrade it with Gibson P-90s) or would I be better off upgrading my current LS85S with the following items?

- Gibson P-90s
- Alu tailpiece (Faber Kit)
- Bridge with Brass saddles
- CTS pots
- Switchcraft Jacks
- different caps (Silver Mica?)

I know I wouldn't get the long tenon and nitro finish with that, but does that make such a big difference in sound?

What do you guys think?

For me the nitro finish would be the clincher - poly makes my hands sweat, and just feels plain cheap. Trouble is the Tokai Goldtops with P90s and nitro finish are twice the price that I had to pay for my secondhand Gibson LP Special (though that has P100s), and you can only get them in the UK by ordering them specially. So no chance of even trying the neck for comfort before committing to paying out a lot of money. :cry:

I don?t think the nitro finish would be a problem. Most people seem to prefer nitro finished guitars, although I don?t know why. Maybe someone here can tell me the reason. I haven?t had any experiences with nitro finished guitars so far. Does it have a positive effect on the overall sound? If yes, in which way?

Does anybody know if those Gibson 56 reissues have their P-90 pickups rw/rp, so that you don?t get any hum in the middle position? I don?t think you can buy Gibson P-90s in matched pairs, so I wouldn?t be able to get a hum-free middle position.

I also would like to know how the Gibson Les Paul Special models with P-90s compare to the Gibson Les Paul 1956 P-90 models in terms of sound.

That Tokai LSS175 (now LSS195) looks very nice and might be an alternative for me, because I already own an LS85S and getting the LSS195 might make more sense than getting the same type of guitar again (LS160S). So what does it sound like?

Thanks in advance for your help

evamatze said:
That Tokai LSS175 (now LSS195) looks very nice and might be an alternative for me, because I already own an LS85S and getting the LSS195 might make more sense than getting the same type of guitar again (LS160S)

Matthias,

if I were you ... I would go for the LSS195, although it is also a question of spending that amount of money ... ???
You've given the arguments already for yourself ... :wink:

... and although it could be attractive too to improve the LS85S with all that stuff ... it will remain a LS85S ... built for sounding as it does ... and the Alu stuff upgrades won't give that new and inspiring feeling which you'd get perhaps with a different model at all ...
... the differences wouldn't be outstanding enough for me and the opinions on these may differ ... 8)

Roger

Yes, the LSS195 is quite expensive... but how does it sound? Brighter or fuller than an LS160S?

the best thing would be to get both, the LS160S and the LSS195 and keep the one you like better. It?s getting more and more expensive... ;-)

@togps:
Could I play test both guitars at your place? Or is there another way of being able to compare these two guitars? I live in Switzerland, as you already know (I have emailed you before).

evamatze said:
I don?t think the nitro finish would be a problem. Most people seem to prefer nitro finished guitars, although I don?t know why. Maybe someone here can tell me the reason. I haven?t had any experiences with nitro finished guitars so far. Does it have a positive effect on the overall sound? If yes, in which way?

Nitro does seem to give a more open sound than poly (though there is more than one type of poly), and it ages better - more like an old Fender or Gibson would do. But it's mainly the feel that matters to me. For comparison, since 1991 I have owned two Fenders - a 1986 US62RI Strat (nitro) and a 1988 MIJ62RI Tele (poly). Both are still good guitars, but it was the difference that convinced me.

With a poly finished neck, my hands sweat and it feels uncomfortable, specially on stage. With nitro, my hands don't sweat, or maybe the nitro absorbs it, I really don't know. I tried this theory out again when I took my Springy ST60 to a gig last week. It's great guitar, has a really nice slim neck, but the poly lacquer ruins it for me. I switched to a nitro finished Tele for the second set, and the difference in feel & comfort was remarkable.

I wish I didn't prefer nitro - I would save a lot of money if I was as happy with poly finishes! But it's one of those things in life - for many of us, once you try it, you don't want to go back.

Hope this helps to explain.

Mike

Is this the sort of thing you folks are discussing?

IMG_5936.jpeg

f5joe said:
Is this the sort of thing you folks are discussing?
No, it is not. Your pic is a LSS88.
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/ls/lss88/lss88.html

Forum member evamatze do reflect a LSS195 . (body/neck all one pcs Honduras)
See here: http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/premium/ls/lss195/lss195.html

or here:

img1090mediumbf9.jpg

img1093mediumxt2.jpg

togps said:
f5joe said:
togps: Mine is a LSS-100, but the same as a LSS-88 I've been told.
Fine, f5joe - with SEB structure body! Congrats. Enjoy it.
So you would be able to pass forum member evamatze some advice?
Your posted pictures are incredible
Thanks.

togps:

My guitar has no indication of SEB structure. It matches the LSS-88 link you provided.

Advice? Clearly, the LSS-195 is a guitar to own. Lovely.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. Cheers. Joe

I?m very sold on this LS-175 I really like this guitar and you cannot see much of these....Would love to try one.

togps

What kind of tailpiece is that on the Special? I haven't seen that model before...

I ended up buying a Gibson Historic Special - sacrilige I know! The sad thing is it cost me less than an LSS175 would have. :)

Jim

Jim Jones said:
togps

What kind of tailpiece is that on the Special? I haven't seen that model before...

Jim, both Wrap TP are made from aluminum. 100% correct intonation.
Choose the design:

img0988mediumim0.jpg

img0789mediumvp5.jpg

Jim Jones said:
Who makes them and how much to they cost?

Thanks!

Jim

I make it. Precision designed and manufactured in Germany.
Please feel free and contact my US distributor:
http://www.cvguitars.com/parts/FaberRPL-110107.html

Latest posts

Back