Tokai LS 80 or Edwards LP 98 LTS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmintan

Reaction score
So, which would you go for? I know edwards are not fully japaneese made, but reviews say that you would not know it and its an awesome guitar.

I hear the edwards also has a long neck tennon, Lacquer finish and excellent pickups.

I hear however that the tokai, although has a shorter tennon, and slightly quieter pickups, it has some sort of "je ne sais quoi" that can be missing from the edwards.

The tokai also has a plain maple top where as the edwards has a maple top with flame venieer.

i know this is a tokai forum, but ive found it quite unbaised when it comes to matters surroundign japaneese made guitars.

Thanks for all the help.

The truth is they're both very good guitars, the best one would be the LP that feels the best to you. If you can try both do it as the necks, weight, finish and electronics will be different.

If you buy sight unseen then I can only say that Tokai is one of only 2 brands I trust to deliver a cracking guitar every time. Peace of mind is priceless.

looktoyourorb said:
If you buy sight unseen then I can only say that Tokai is one of only 2 brands I trust to deliver a cracking guitar every time. Peace of mind is priceless.
+1

I'm not too keen on the Edwards guitars, I've only played two but didn't really bond with either of them. I've had better luck with Tokai. Hopefully look for an older one if you can find it. Great feel and look for the money.

Diamond said:
marcusnieman said:
warxy said:
looktoyourorb said:
+1

I'll second that..... what's the other brand?

PRS

Correct - Both companies QC and skills are just unbelievable. Very different guitars and price points but the same obsession with quality. Shame it does not happen in Nashville...

Cali Girl said:
I'm not too keen on the Edwards guitars

Me either:

039.jpg

048.jpg

054.jpg

064.jpg

126.jpg

155.jpg

CIMG1599-1.jpg

I had the same decision to make a couple of years ago and went with the Edwards. However:

- at the time I didn't know the Edwards wasn't 100% MIJ
- at the time, the Pound Sterling hadn't tanked against the yen, and the Edwards was a couple of hundred cheaper than the Tokai

If I had to do it now, with what I now know and the current prices (the Tokai being a couple of hundred cheaper than the Edwards i.e. the pricing reversed), I'd probably go with the Tokai, though as looktoyourorb says, it's very dependent on what you want, personal preference and all that, so ideally you'd want to try the two head to head.

Latest posts

Back