Tokai LP Guitar Set-up...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-10

Reaction score
I've been 'playing' guitar for just over 3 months now, and bought an LS85F a month ago. My guitar knowledge is limited, but definitely increasing.

The tokai had been set up and checked when I bought it, but on playing it for the first time, I thought the action was a bit low. I wasn't getting full-on fret buzz, but it still seemed a little whiny and not quite right. I thought it might be just technique on my part at first. Earlier today I had a go at setting up my starter strat-copy by adjusting the truss rod, then the bridge height etc. It plays great, so I thought I'd have a go at he Tokai.

The string height at the 12th fret looked about 1.4mm E and 1.2mm e, although I didn't get as far as actually measuring. I've adjusted the bridge height to get about 2mm and 1.5mm, then retuned and set the intonation. It sounds a lot better now.

I know personal preference will come into it, but what sort of pickup heights should I be loking at? When fretted at the last fret, both pickups are currently at about 2mm (distance of string to nearest part of pickup cover). Also, when I bought it I was told that the neck pick-up wobbles, but this is normal because "it's set so low". Does this sound this correct?

I've not yet changed the string from the supplied ones yet. From experience, should I expect much improvement?

A couple of the strings are, I think, sticking in the nut. For example, when I tune up, nothing might happen for a quarter of a turn, then it tunes up in one go. (Did that make sense?). Same when tuning down. Is the answer a bit of graphite, or is there a different way to cure this?

In case it affects any of the answers, my music style is things like Oasis, light rock, pop. I'm just playing rhythm at the moment.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, most set neck guitars are prone to some buzz. If it's playable, and the strings aren't choking, then a little bit of buzz is alright IMO.

If you do "have a go" at the truss rod, remember to make only slight adjustments, either an eigth or a quarter turn either way makes one heck of a difference. If you go to your local DIY shop (B&Q or Wilko's etc), have a look for a "T" bar set, which has small socket attachements. You will need an 8mm socket for the nut, not the imperial sized standard Gibson one, the Japanese use the metric system.

The "sticky nut" could well be the string tension/not "locked" at the tuner. Next time you restring, try putting the string through the hole, then have one turn over the hole, the rest of the turns get the string under the hole. This should "lock" your string, and give you better tuning stability when you've stretched them. I've got into the habit of bending the string when I'm tuning (check tuning, tweak tuning, bend string, check tuning again) because of a sticky nut on a guitar.

Pickup height is a personal thing IMO, I like them quite close to the strings, but maybe 2mm from the strings is a bit high, and might cause some string choke (especially if you're digging in!).

I would say that if you aren't too sure about setting your guitar up, it is worth while getting it done properly, yes it costs, but it will last a while, and they should be able to get it to how you want. I think Steel City on London Road should do them (a guy called Phil).

T-10 said:
A couple of the strings are, I think, sticking in the nut. For example, when I tune up, nothing might happen for a quarter of a turn, then it tunes up in one go. (Did that make sense?). Same when tuning down. Is the answer a bit of graphite, or is there a different way to cure this?

Yup, classic badly cut nut. One of tokai's few failings (the other being the 3-way switch). Scrape a little graphite from a soft pencil into the slots - not too much, just enough to cover the bottom of the slots. A tiny dab of vaseline can help too.

The ideal solution would be to get a professional to cut you a new TUSQ nut when you get a setup, or the next best thing would be to get him to re-shape the slots.

As to the pickups, they will wobble a bit even when set high but it's more noticeable when they're low. There is an optimum height but it varies from pickup to pickup depending on the magnet, output etc. Here's what you do:

When plugged in, check that there is an equal volume response across all the strings. If the treble strings are too loud, either raise the bass side of the pickup or lower the treble side. Vice versa for the bass strings being too loud. When you have an even response, raise the bridge pickup. Use full or half turns on the pickup screws, the same number of turns on both sides to keep the balance. There will come a point when you get weird overtones and you start to lose sustain - the pickup is too high and the magnet is screwing with the strings. Lower it so that you get as close as you can without losing sustain.

Now simply raise or lower the neck pickup so that it matches volume with the bridge pickup. Some people like to set the neck so that it has a slightly lower volume than the bridge. This gives you a bit of a kick when you switch to the bridge for leads.

One last thing, after 3 months you should DEFINATELY change strings. You'll notice a HUGE improvement. Strings should really be replaced every 4-6 weeks with regular playing, possibly more often if you have acid sweat or play hard. Try using GHS fast fret to keep your new strings new and slick for longer.

Thanks for the replies. Briefly...

There was a truss rod tool that came with the guitar, although I'd be wary of actually adjusting it myself. It was necessary to adjust it on my ?50 'strat', but it wouldn't feel like the end of the world if I ruined that, where as it probably would if I did the same with the Tokai. Anyway only a bridge adjustment was needed.

I've only had the guitar for a month, before that I had the 'strat' for nearly 3 months. I'm still developing my guitar ears, and the strings seem fine for now, but I didn't know what quality strings were put on in the factory, and how well they would survive the journey from Japan.

I had a play with the pick-ups yesterday, and as I raised the neck one, it became more solid. I'll experiment later using Paladin's advice.

I'll try the graphite thing also, and make sure follow Skybone's guidance on stringing.

Cheers again!

Latest posts

Back