Tokai Loverock II 'Prototype' spotted on UK Ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBUK

Reaction score
Link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Loveroc...01294929QQcategoryZ112670QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seller wrote

This is a Tokai Loverock II "prototype" electric guitar, the only one ever made for the 2002 Frankfurt music show, and the condition is exceptional with a few minor flaws but only from playing, they wouldn't even show up on the photographs.

Designed in the UK by Martyn Booth and manufactured in Japan.

The guitar has a striking AAA bookmatch flame maple top in striking satin lemonburst finish. One piece mahogany neck R/W fingerboard and one piece solid mahogany body.

The guitar has 2 x Keiko humbuckers both tappable with microswitches, 1 volume and 1 tone control.

The sound is as to be expected from this setup.

The guitar has never been gigged but did the rounds of most of the UK guitar magazines as a demo model.

If you are interested contact me and I will email you the serial number so you can authenticate the guitars origin with Bob Murdock the MD of Tokai UK

LBUK said:
This is a Tokai Loverock II "prototype" electric guitar, the only one ever made for the 2002 Frankfurt music show, and the condition is exceptional with a few minor flaws but only from playing, they wouldn't even show up on the photographs.
This might be a relisting, because I think I've heard that "prototype" line before. Anyhow, the starting bid is a fair price in my opinion.

Designed in the UK by Martyn Booth and manufactured in Japan.
I believe he got something completely wrong, Martyn Booth designed the Yamaha guitar which Tokai has copied. See my review about the Love Rock II in the Announcement section.

Hans wrote

I believe he got something completely wrong, Martyn Booth designed the Yamaha guitar which Tokai has copied. See my review about the Love Rock II in the Announcement section.

Yes it was the Yamaha MSG. Martyn Booth still makes and sells a similar design now.

www.martynboothguitars.co.uk/

It has a bit of Martyn Booths history but does not mention Tokai

The starting price is fair but I'm not sure if the reserve will only show up after the first bid.

I've read your review Hans (good review) and I am interested in the Loverock II if I can find one to try, maybe not the SEB version though. I think it would provide a good alternative to my ls-150

LBUK

LBUK said:
I've read your review Hans (good review) and I am interested in the Loverock II if I can find one to try, maybe not the SEB version though.
I would have liked to compare both the SEB and the 1-piece back models side by side, too. :) By the way, if you think there's a reserve on that auction it's no risk to place the first bid, or is it?

?410??

**** you got that cheap Chris. WELL DONE mate.

Funny. I'm from Darlington originally, I hope all is well because we're a little bit dodgy from those parts :wink:

Deadman

I'm also hoping that the deal isn't ' Too good to be true'

If not I'll be testing the Paypal return funding scheme :(

I've just picked up the Love Rock II from the courier !!

It's got a really nice satin matt finish - not played it yet - Will Post Photo's later

Here is the Love Rock II - It have a lemon type matt finish. Really well set up and good quality.

The coil tapping gives it a good range of tonal options.

Looks like an early model as it's got switches rather than push-pull pots
for the coil taps

IMG_4311.jpg

The top is one piece of maple with a veneer of flamed sycamore on the top. look at the curved grain in the top, it doesn't show a centre join. However the veneer does.

IMG_4319.jpg

Both pickups have H-3 stickers on them

IMG_4323.jpg

Pretty neat control cavity

IMG_4314.jpg

And the seller sent it in a hard case rather than a gig bag - cool 8)

IMG_4308.jpg

One piece mahogany back

IMG_4309.jpg

Just got this reply from Bob Murdoch @ Tokai UK
[email protected] wrote:

This is one of the LR11 that we had for the Frankfurt show 2002 and it was a protatype ane of 8 made the pickups are orig we used them for 6 months

Best regards

BOB MURDOCH @ TOKAI GUITARS UK TEL 044 1909 565360 or 0447866494557
6 ABBEY WAY NORTH ANSTON SHEFFIELD S25 4JL www.tokai-guitars.co.uk

The seller was totally honest 8)

[email protected] wrote:
This is one of the LR11 that we had for the Frankfurt show 2002 and it was a protatype ane of 8 made the pickups are orig we used them for 6 months
So it must be true, this one really goes to eleven... :wink: By the way, is this a lightweight tailpiece or the normal one like the SEB model? And what resistance do the pickups have?

Hans-Jurgen

How do you tell one version of a tailpiece to another ?

When I relaxed the strings to look at the pickups all I noticed was
a Gotoh stamp on the base of the tailpiece.

Let me know and I'll have another look.

I'm not too sure who made the pickups, Bob hasn't emailed me back
as he indicates that they changed pickup manufacturer after 6 months. They use Keiyo now, so who's are these ??

Does anyone else know who places a H-3 stamp on the base of their pickups ?

I've used a multimeter, testing between the toggle switch and the back of
the volume pot and get strange readings.

Neck = 11.19KOhms & 2.79 KOhms
Bridge = 10.12kOhms & 2.54kOhms

This isn't what you were getting on the SEB version Hans-Jurgen :-?

Looks a great guitar.

I was looking through some old Guitarist magazines and came across this in the Dec 04 issue

Tokai Loverock II designed prototype 2002, one of only eight manufactured in Japan for 2002 Frankfurt Music Fair, AAA flame top in striking lemon finish, a quality rarity at ?1500

Either you've got a bargain or the seller was hoping ?

I think you've got a bargain.

LBUK

chrisheyes said:
Hans-Jurgen
How do you tell one version of a tailpiece to another ?
By the weight, the aluminum version is "feather light" compared to a normal one. And most of the time they are nickel plated, but as they are also available in chrome, this is not a good indicator.

I've used a multimeter, testing between the toggle switch and the back of the volume pot and get strange readings.
Neck = 11.19KOhms & 2.79 KOhms
Bridge = 10.12kOhms & 2.54kOhms
This isn't what you were getting on the SEB version Hans-Jurgen :-?
I wonder where that second reading comes from, do you mean using split or rather parallel mode for one pickup? But at least the first reading for the bridge version would be half normal, it's strange that the neck seems to have a slightly higher resistance though.

By the way, sorry for the late reply, I must have overlooked your answer on Friday.

No worries for the delayed reply Hans-Jurgen, I've been away
for a spot of skiing in the Alps.

I think the tailpiece on the LRII may be a standard one. From memory
the tailpiece on my Les Paul Reborn Restrospec did appear lighter.

Is there a noticeable difference tone wise between the two types of tailpiece Hans ?

I measured the resistance between the back of the volume pot and the pickup toggle switch to get the first reading.

The second reading was taken when I had flicked the toggle switch, but reading from the back of the volume pot to the pickup selector toggle switch.

I too found it strange that the neck pickup has a higher resistance than the bridge.

I've still not been able to get Tokai UK to tell me who's pickups were fitted into these first eight Love Rock II's

I wonder if togps would be able to find out through his contacts at Tokai Japan ??

LBUK

Thanks for looking back at your Guitarist Magazine back catalogue collection.

Does anyone have the June 2002 edition of Guitarist Magazine ?

According to the database on the Guitarist Magazine cover disc June '02
has a review on the Love Rock II

chrisheyes said:
Is there a noticeable difference tone wise between the two types of tailpiece Hans ?
Yes, for me it's big enough to tell everyone and his neighbours to change them. ;) My friend who owns/owned the other two LS60s in my infamous Tokai family shot has just changed it on the plaintop, and he's freaking out, too. I already described the difference in that review.

The second reading was taken when I had flicked the toggle switch, but reading from the back of the volume pot to the pickup selector toggle switch.
OK, then the two coils of the humbucker are wired in parallel which sounds different (thinner) than only splitting one coil. I don't remember which method the SEB model used.

I too found it strange that the neck pickup has a higher resistance than the bridge.
Yes, I would change them if the cable of the bridge model is long enough.

I don't know that one, but just bumped up my old review with the link to the Registry review page, because there's one from Dec 2003 by the UK Guitar Buyer magazine.

That's a seriously nice guitar and what a price !!!

I was going to have a punt on that myself, but figured it would go for so much more.

Well done on a great bit of ebay and bagging yourself a little bit of history too !!!

I may have june 2002 guitarist - I'll take a look in my loft !!!

Hans-Jurgen

Can you point me in the right direction of where to get a lightweight tailpiece please ? :D

Happy Hunting bruceboomstick :wink:

chrisheyes said:
I've got that issue.

I've scanned the Love Rock II review for you. Hopefully this is OK as such an old magazine will not be available as a back issue.
I'll remove the scans as soon as you've been able to download them.

Love Rock II review - page 1
Love Rock II review - page 2
Love Rock II review - page 3

Latest posts

Back