Tokai Lifton Case on eBay - No Reserve

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're also not very good cases from a protection point of view, not that many other cases are any better. Of course these cases are totally fine for normal players who look after their own guitars.

They seem to be pretty much the same as the first generation of the Gibson Lifton cases, those weren't too crash hot either, BUT, they were accurate to the original Lifton cases. Gibson have changed them now to be a bit sturdier - more hinges, latches and padding.

Manufacturer branded guitar cases on their own always cost a lot of $$ - the Gibson Lifton is about $300, and the Fender G&G tweeds are over $250! (In Aus anyway)

Pics are now working in the classified section.

This case has great protection; 5 latches and firm great padded interior. I'm not sure how much better protection you could expect from a case - it's not a flight case. Of all the Les Paul cases I've owned this one actually has the best neck support where the body meets the neck. The exterior is much tougher than the first generation of these cases as well - almost impossible to scuff.

Pegcityrocker said:
Pics are now working in the classified section.

This case has great protection; 5 latches and firm great padded interior. I'm not sure how much better protection you could expect from a case - it's not a flight case. Of all the Les Paul cases I've owned this one actually has the best neck support where the body meets the neck. The exterior is much tougher than the first generation of these cases as well - almost impossible to scuff.

I agree. The Tokai case holds the guitar snugly with plenty of support. I prefer them to the Gibson Lifton replica.

I thought it would go for around $300; these cases are tough to come by on their own. Unfortunately $80 went to eBay and paypal. It's getting crazy expensive to sell stuff on eBay.

Pegcityrocker said:
I thought it would go for around $300; these cases are tough to come by on their own. Unfortunately $80 went to eBay and paypal. It's getting crazy expensive to sell stuff on eBay.

I agree!! i just sent them an email yesterday complaining about it. i encourage everyone to send an email asking them to lower prices

Pegcityrocker said:

Are you sure? That's 25%!
I thought they only took about 12% in a worst case scenario - foreign credit card used via Paypal.

Jeez 25% that's what a music shop with delusions of grandeur charges for consignment, and they do all the work! With ebay you have to do everything, the pictures, wording, dealing with the tire kickers, packing and postage. Bloody hell, 25% fees for letting you do most of the work yourself!

JVsearch said:
Pegcityrocker said:

Are you sure? That's 25%!
I thought they only took about 12% in a worst case scenario - foreign credit card used via Paypal.

Jeez 25% that's what a music shop with delusions of grandeur charges for consignment, and they do all the work! With ebay you have to do everything, the pictures, wording, dealing with the tire kickers, packing and postage. Bloody hell, 25% fees for letting you do most of the work yourself!

it depends on how you list it, and what your standing with ebay is. I get a slight discount for being a power seller, but geez. if you arent, and you list it a certain way and its a bad week, you can lose a ton of money. I've essentially paid people to take my guitars or parts from time to time. And then try paying taxes, state, federal on top of that!

it works well if you find something of value in the trash and dont have to invest anything into it

I'm a normal user on ebay Australia with about 100 feedback - nothing special at all.

An item that I'm currently selling for about $1100 cost me a $3.50 insertion fee and final value fees on that amount will be $31 approx.

Paypal is 2.4% plus 0.30 transaction fee which is $26.70 bringing the total to $61 approx.

This is just under 5.6% of the total. Worst case scenario with a foreign credit card puts it at just under 8%.

I used the ebay Australia fee schedule to calculate the cost of the $320 sale under discussion here, and the combined fees came to $21.32 which is approx 6.7% of the sale price. Admittedly I always host my own photos which saves a $1.50 on insertion fees, but still...

Are you sure about this $80 25% business? If it's true then ebay and Paypal fees on the other ebay sites must have EXPLODED out of all proportion, and those sites should be shut down immediately and the company broken up for being total arseholes.

Sorry. Just rechecked and the fees came to $50 and not $80. My mistake. Still seems like way too much to me. The other factor is paypal's ridiculous conversion fee. I list in USD and transfer the money to my bank in CDN. I lost a bunch of money doing that even though the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar right now. Go figure. I think I'm goin back to selling in my local online classified site kijiji. You think tire kickers are bad on eBay - I hate tire kickers coming to my house! But it is free.

Pegcityrocker said:
You think tire kickers are bad on eBay - I hate tire kickers coming to my house! But it is free.

I sell guitars on Craigs List as well. I don't have people come to my house. I'll meet them somewhere else.... like the Starbucks down the street. No trades, no "I just wanna check it out" tire kicking. Bring cash or don't bother.

Pegcityrocker said:
Sorry. Just rechecked and the fees came to $50 and not $80. My mistake. Still seems like way too much to me. The other factor is paypal's ridiculous conversion fee. I list in USD and transfer the money to my bank in CDN. I lost a bunch of money doing that even though the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar right now. Go figure. I think I'm goin back to selling in my local online classified site kijiji. You think tire kickers are bad on eBay - I hate tire kickers coming to my house! But it is free.

$50 is still very bad - it's 15.6%!

You should go back to local listings, just so as to not use ebay, but the thing is maybe the price you get is higher on ebay?

If they have increased their fees to that level then there will soon be a competitor that will come on the scene offering a better deal.

Amen brother. I've had people wondering if I would be interested in trading my guitar for a WW2 helmet! I told him if it was filled with $100 bills that would be fine.

Funny story - I sold a guitar to doctor last year. He gave me a call and was asking me questions about it while he was in surgery with a patient unconscious on his operating table. After he asked me a few questions he told me he had better get back to his surgery! He ended up buying the guitar though I never met him. He sent his wife over with a wad of cash so he never even saw the thing before he bought it. It was a Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

Pegcityrocker said:
Amen brother. I've had people wondering if I would be interested in trading my guitar for a WW2 helmet! I told him if it was filled with $100 bills that would be fine.

Funny story - I sold a guitar to doctor last year. He gave me a call and was asking me questions about it while he was in surgery with a patient unconscious on his operating table. After he asked me a few questions he told me he had better get back to his surgery! He ended up buying the guitar though I never met him. He sent his wife over with a wad of cash so he never even saw the thing before he bought it. It was a Gibson Les Paul Traditional.

That's too funny.... capitalism at it's best (or worst) :wink:

Back