Tokai Korean J-200 Acoustic Review

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez2slip

Reaction score
I received this guitar today after purchasing it on eBay from Mike's Music in Canada. Price, including shipping and insurance, was $358 US. No case included.
Fit & Finish:
Construction on this guitar is very clean. Neck/body joint is clean and tight. The finish is natural, so crummy glue joints are hard to hide. Nut installation is clean. Overhangs the neck by a hair on the bass side. Tuners seem decent. Time will tell. One tuner grommet isn't seated right. That will require a light tap to remedy. All tuners are tight, turn easily and feel precise. The bindings are very attractive and precisely installed. I have seen worse binding jobs on real Gibson J200's. Same goes for the center strip on the back and the bottom at the endpin where the sides meet.
Bridge and fingerboard are rosewood. Frets are well set, medium in size. Setup was good when I received it. I may lower it a tad. Intonation was spot on. Inlays in the bridge aren't particularly elegant in their looks, as opposed to the fingerboard inlays which are quite attractive. All inlays show some degree of filler around them, but for this price point, they probably need to get them in there quickly.
Finish is a natural with an amber tint that is very striking in appearance. The finish gives the guitar a slightly antiqued appearance which works well. A couple of slight depressions in the finsh where small pits in the guitar went unfilled. There was one small spot on the guitar where glue runout was not completely sanded out, resulting in a lighter color than the surrounding finish. All in all it is very well done.
The top is 2-piece solid spruce. Grain lines are fairly tight and there are a few darker streaks in the top that are not unattractive. The two sides of the top match. Back and sides are flamed maple. The flame is very dramatic on the sides. The back is apparently laminated maple. The flame is quite good, and there is movement as you change your viewing angle. No photoflame. The neck is maple and has a bit of flame as well, although not a lot. The neck is straight.
Sound & Playability:
The guitar is quite light and feels good in your lap. Balance is good. It is bright with a decent bass response. It projects well if you honk on it. All in all the sound is balanced well and sounds good with a pick or your fingers. The action is very good. It plays cleanly up the neck. No dead spots or buzzing.
Bottom line:
I had my doubts about buying a Korean manufactured instrument, and hoped that Tokai Japan's reputation would carry through in its Korean operation. It has in this instrument. I consider it a tremendous value for the money. In my opinion is it worthy of a much higher pricetag.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I was very happy to read your review. I've been looking for a less expensive guitar with the look of the J-200 and it was a toss-up between the Tokai and Epiphone. I do have a question for you which may decide which way I go... In your inspection of the Tokai, do you think a neck from an actual Gibson J-200 can be mounted on the Tokai without any major work? I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil
This may be a redundant post - if so, my apologies.

I prefer the Tokai J200 to the Epiphone model. I have 2 friends with the Epi J200 and neither are as nice as the Tokai. Part of that is the natural finish on the Tok, which features the flamed back & sides nicely.

Regarding your question about mounting a Gibson J200 neck on it, be advised that you are looking at pain & suffering. The Tok J200 has a set neck (the fit is extremely well done), and getting that neck off would be a nightmare. Besides, the feel and playability of the neck on my Tok is beautiful.

I don't think you would want to go there without a very good reason.

My 2 cents. Good luck with it.
CM

****, I have tried an ?piphone j-200 the other day and it's a real nightmare!! The guitar has no low- medium or anything low, only "bling bling"!!! By the way I have tried the whole ?pi range; the hummingbird, the j-45 and they all sound the same!!! no sound of wood, only the sound of the strings!
Does the Tokai j-200 has a good balance ?

I've had my Tok J-200 for a couple of years now and it's stayed solid as a brick house. The action remains low and fast and the sound has good projection and is well balanced - including the 'wooden' sound you speak of. It's definitely worth a look if you've been disappointed by the Epiphone.

Regards
CM

ez2slip said:
I've had my Tok J-200 for a couple of years now and it's stayed solid as a brick house. The action remains low and fast and the sound has good projection and is well balanced - including the 'wooden' sound you speak of. It's definitely worth a look if you've been disappointed by the Epiphone.

Regards
CM
Wow, I just saw the date this thread originated! Cool to see you're still checking in after "all these years" (over two years is along time in message board time ;))!

Latest posts

Back