Tokai Jazz Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor

Reaction score
My parents bought me a Tokai Jazz Sound electric bass back in the 80's. After they passed, the bass came back into my possession. I am considering selling. I've been doing research, trying to find out the year it was made and the value. I've read some posts here where some Tokais turn out to not be Tokai's at all. So, just looking for some help so that I can ask an appropriate price if I decide to sell.

Attachments

• IMG_7399 3.jpg
    IMG_7399 3.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7400 3.JPG
    IMG_7400 3.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7402.JPG
    IMG_7402.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 0
So sorry about your loss. Cool thing to get as a gift. Sound like great parents.

It looks legit. Made around 1983 I believe with that serial number (L09410).

Do you have a pic of the back of the headstock?

Last edited:
1983 catalog:

TJB45/1964 MODEL / ¥45,000 Body, neck and hardware inheriting the functions of the high-class model. Jazz sound regardless of music genre is ideal for middle class players.

TJB60 / 1964 MODEL / ¥60,000 A contemporary model boasting unparalleled playability and rich sound variations that challenge the limits of solid bass. Tight and lively heavy bass is exactly the jazz sound.

TJB70-F / 1960 SPECIAL MODEL / ¥70,000 The long-awaited model of fretless bass freaks. Sticky deep bass and exquisite tone full of jazz flavor are attractive. Flat rose fingerboard narrow neck, alder body, high grade specification of special parts.

TJB50 / 1964 RARE MODEL / ¥50,000 Headstock color finished pace known as the most enthusiastic rare model of the '60s. The striking color combination is perfect for individualistic bassists. This model is based on TJB45. )

TJB80/1960 MODEL / ¥80,000 The TJB80 perfectly reproduces the original 60 traditional material. The slim alder body and narrow neck provide unparalleled playability. increase.

TJB70-J/1960 SPECIAL MODEL / ¥70,000: Cutaway fretless model recommended for professional bassists who play a crossover role. The newly developed pickup JB Vintage is a professional specification. A super base with a jersey feel to everything.

IMG_1905.jpeg
VintAxe scan

Last edited:
So sorry about your loss. Cool thing to get as a gift. Sound like great parents.

It looks legit. Made around 1983 I believe with that serial number.

Do you have a pic of the back of the headstock?
Thank you. Here's the pic of the back of the headstock

Attachments

• IMG_7416.jpg
    IMG_7416.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
So the three screw tuners were used on models below the 80. Maybe below 60. I’m not sure where the cutoff is.

And it’s a veneer fretboard rather than the slab. That should be the 1964 model.

It’s looking like it’s the JB45 or 60. The 60 may have the 4 screw tuners. I’m not sure. Maybe someone else knows?

1983 catalog:

TJB45/1964 MODEL / ¥45,000 Body, neck and hardware inheriting the functions of the high-class model. Jazz sound regardless of music genre is ideal for middle class players.

TJB60 / 1964 MODEL / ¥60,000 A contemporary model boasting unparalleled playability and rich sound variations that challenge the limits of solid bass. Tight and lively heavy bass is exactly the jazz sound.

TJB70-F / 1960 SPECIAL MODEL / ¥70,000 The long-awaited model of fretless bass freaks. Sticky deep bass and exquisite tone full of jazz flavor are attractive. Flat rose fingerboard narrow neck, alder body, high grade specification of special parts.

TJB50 / 1964 RARE MODEL / ¥50,000 Headstock color finished pace known as the most enthusiastic rare model of the '60s. The striking color combination is perfect for individualistic bassists. This model is based on TJB45. )

TJB80/1960 MODEL / ¥80,000 The TJB80 perfectly reproduces the original 60 traditional material. The slim alder body and narrow neck provide unparalleled playability. increase.

TJB70-J/1960 SPECIAL MODEL / ¥70,000: Cutaway fretless model recommended for professional bassists who play a crossover role. The newly developed pickup JB Vintage is a professional specification. A super base with a jersey feel to everything.

View attachment 12863
This is dauting.. can you interpret for my bass? lol

This is dauting.. can you interpret for my bass? lol
I sent this as I got your response above... I appreciate your expertise. It's really fascinating how telling the smallest details are. Thanks so much for your help!

Looks like the original Tokai case too. That’s really cool.
thanks... My Dad didn't usually cheap out on stuff and perhaps he did his research when purchasing this. I appreciate his decisions a whole lot more now. I have a Gibson Les Paul and a Selmer alto sax that I will never part with. But this bass has been safely in that case since the early 90's, not played since I left it behind when I went off to University.

The Japanese Tokais were very well made. I have a 1982 JB45. It’s a great bass for what it sold for at the time.

1984 catalog cell phone pics.

TJB45 / 1964 MODEL / ¥45,000; Jazz sound regardless of music genre is ideal for middle class players.

TJB60 / 1964 MODEL / ¥60,000 A contemporary model boasting unparalleled playability and rich sound variations that challenge the limits of solid bass.

TJB70-F/1960 SPECIAL MODEL / ¥70,000 Fretless Bass Freaks Desired model. Sticky deep bass and exquisite tone full of jazz flavor are attractive. Flat rose fingerboard narrow neck, alder body, high grade specification with special parts

TJB50 / 1964 RARE MODEL / ¥50,000 Headstock color finished bass known as the most enthusiastic rare model of the 1960s. Sawa's color combination is ideal for individualistic bassists. This model is based on TJB45. )

TJB80/1960 MODEL / ¥80,000 The TJB80 perfectly reproduces the original 60 traditional material. The alder body and slim & narrow neck provide unparalleled playability, and the newly developed pickups provide an old-fashioned and sensible sound that responds to the sensibilities of professional musicians.

TJB70-J / 1960 SPECIAL MODEL / ¥70,000 A cropped fretless model recommended for professional bassists who play crossovers. Newspaper pickup JB Vintage is a professional specification. It's a super pace with a jersey feel to everything.

IMG_1921.JPG
IMG_1922.JPG

1984 catalog with PB200 case.

20,000 yen

IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1924.PNG

Last edited:
Looks like its a JB45 because of the 3 screw tuners.

Difference between the 45 and 60 seem to just be the tuners.

So in my opinion you have a 1983 (maybe 1984) JB45 YSR with a kick butt PB200 tweed case.

1984 catalog:

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.24.23 AM.png
IMG_1923.jpeg

Last edited:
if you ever open it up, I would be curious to see pictures of the ink stamped code and the pots.

That might nail it down even more as to when it was made.

To put this into perspective, how crazy it is that you could buy this in 1983/84 for so cheap, in today's dollars that bass with the case would roughly cost $612...

You would have to add import fees & taxes, etc. but still a crazy good deal.

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.55.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 9.56.48 AM.png

I bought one of those (probably a -45 too) second hand in '87 for (IIRC) 350DM. Of course I had to put EMGs in (hey, it was the 80!) and got a real nice playing and quite modern sounding JB. I played it on a few gigs, then we were booked for opening an evening with several bands and when I got off stage the bassman of the next band offered to trade his brand spanking new Washburn "Status" S-1000 headless (worth 1,600 DM or 550GBP) for the Tokai without compensation. I asked a few times if he's really meaning that but he did and I felt a bit bad about doing that deal.

In hindsight, the Tokai aged much better than the Washburn, considering it's high original price (half of a Status) and what they sell for today. :)

Back