Tokai Japan - help needed please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ2257

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm interested in buying an export 2003 Japanese Tokai SG (headstock has the dimple).
The only thing I'm not sure of is it doesn't say 'Made in Japan' at the base of the headstock. It does however have a 7 digit stamped serial number begining 03 and a 2 screw truss rod cover.
Can anyone please tell me if the Japanese Tokai's did come without the 'Made in Japan' designation on the headstock around this time?
Thanks

DJ2257 said:
Hi,
I'm interested in buying an export 2003 Japanese Tokai SG (headstock has the dimple).
The only thing I'm not sure of is it doesn't say 'Made in Japan' at the base of the headstock. It does however have a 7 digit stamped serial number begining 03 and a 2 screw truss rod cover.
Can anyone please tell me if the Japanese Tokai's did come without the 'Made in Japan' designation on the headstock around this time?
Thanks

Not sure about that exact year, but my '01 just had a made in japan sticker that I took off after about 5 minutes.

Ok thanks. There doesn't seem to be any reason whether the export models have the designation or not (although I'm guessing its to do with timing).
The seller has been very helpful in providing me photos of the pots (Japan), pickups (Japan LP-F F/LP-F R), and bridge/tailpiece (MIJ Gotoh's).

I was 95% certain it was MIJ before getting the photos, but was just curious that all the MIJ 'dimpled' headstock Loverocks etc that I had seen had 'Made in Japan' stamped on the back.
Just wanted to share the info on my guitar for anyone else who may find it useful.
When the guitar arrives after the holiday I will post a couple of photos!

Latest posts

Back