Tokai Guitar Stratocaster Springy Sound ST 80 Ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rennurx

Reaction score
I am selling the following Tokai and thought this would be a good place to bring it to the members attention. This is one of two Tokai I am selling the other is under a separate post and is protype Tele.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160452485907&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

1980 Tokai Springy Sound ST-80 Stratocaster clone, all original, nitro finish over black body, maple neck/board. Amazingly accurate '54 Strat copy. Wonderful vintage "V" neck. Comes with square older hsc as originally received. These are pretty rare, especially in the States.

I became the proud keeper of this early 1980's Tokai. It is a very beautiful, instrument which was at the upper end of the range when first produced. As such, it has a wonderful two-piece "ash" body. I'm not clear yet whether this is genuine ash or "sen ash" which was commonly used in higher-end Japanese guitars and which is actually from the ivy family rather than ash as we know it in the west. Either way, it is a wonderfully resonant piece of wood which rings like the proverbial bell.

Typical wear for the age the neck is in great condition with very little fret-wear. It has the most pronounced v-neck profile I've encountered and is a dream to play, though I don't have the set-up quite correct yet.

Two of the pick-ups (the neck and middle) are the stock pick-ups for that model which are "E-stamped" and, I believe, were made by DiMarzio. The bridge pick-up is a puzzle. It's odd in as much as the pole-pieces are even height (not staggered like the others) and the wires are cloth-covered (in the fashion of original 1950's pickups). I don't know what it is but the guitar has great tone in the neck/mid combination - a gritty, twangy strat tone which is both hollow and deep. The neck and neck/mid positions are warm and mellow.

Your otherwise good advert would be much better wihout the two references to a fictional "lawsuit".

:wink:

Mike

I wasn't aware that it wasn't, kind of new to this and came across a description which I thought was correct.

Thanks,

Sorry - personal gripe of mine. :lol: There never was a lawsuit (though there may have been threats of one), & many of us regard it as one of those BS terms that people use to describe older Tokais. It's a term that seems to be used more on your side of the Atlantic than on our side.

I also regard the SRV connection as being extremely tenuous, though some others disagree with me. Billy F. Gibbons is a genuine Tokai user - there's footage of him gigging with a Tokai. With SRV it seems that he held a Tokai once for a publicity photo - there's no evidence that he gigged with one that I have seen.

I pride myself that I have never mentioned SRV or lawsuits in any advert I have written for a Tokai. :wink: It can be done.

But regardless of that, good luck with the sale. An ST80 is a nice Strat. 8)

Back