Tokai Firebird with 3 pickups - Any info?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterg

Reaction score
Hello all - I apologise in advance for starting with a "what is this" type post....

I've been trying to find information about what is described as a Tokai Firebird with 3 mini humbuckers, but come up blank so far, so "What is it?", please:

Yes, I've bought it, but it hasn't arrived yet :)

Thanks in advance.

(Edited 28/2 to change thread title & replace big pictures with thumbnail links.)

Bump, and a few more photos - can anyone help me with a model number or guess at the age of this guitar?

Thanks.

ETA:

It's an FB45, these were available with 1, 2 or 3 pups - see www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php and go to retro models then select FB45. Made in Korea, I'm not sure how many years these have been available for - no serial number anywhere?
What's it like to play and how do the pups sound? I love the colour.

Thanks very much for the reply and the information - I couldn't find any reference to these at all, so the identification is very useful.

I can't see a serial number anywhere. I have suspicions that the guitar may have been re-finished at some point, as the metallic red paint encroaches onto the edge of the marker dots on the edge of the neck (but then there's the 'Made in Korea' stencil on the back of the headstock, and the presence of sawdust under the pickguard that make me think it hasn't).

Any idea where a serial number might be? I have checked inside the pickup cavities.

The colour is a very sparkly metallic red and looks great on this guitar. It sounds surprisingly good - the neck pickup, in particular has a lovely clean sound, and the middle position (bridge & middle pickup combination) definitely has that Firebird roar. I was a bit dubious, as the covers for the pickups had been un-soldered by a previous owner. Looking inside, they seem to be proper firebird style blade pickups.

The coils, etc. are potted into the covers - I don't know whether this is standard, or perhaps somebody un-soldered the pickup covers to carry this out?? Who knows...?

It had some very rusty 9 gauge strings on it when I got it, and the neck was flat/back-bowed. I've strung it with 10s and am still tweaking, but it plays quite nicely - the edges of the fretboard are nicely rounded. The upside down tuners take some getting used to, and aren't brilliant at holding tuning, but after tightening them up a bit and lubricating the nut they're OK.

The reason I thought It might be older is that the truss-rod cover has warped like old plastic parts do (but I guess it could just have been left in a window...)

Again, thank you for taking the time to post the ID. :)

Latest posts

Back