Tokai ES155 or Edwards E-SA-125LTS???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blueslover1959 said:
The Edwards feels thicker in both dimensions, thickness and width. Here are my measurements - but I have to say, that do not have a pro tool to measure the thickness of the neck - so these are approx. values.

First value is Tokai, second is Edwards:

Width
Nut: 4,2 / 4,4 cm
12th fret: 5,2 / 5,3 cm

Thickness (back of neck to fingerboard)
1st fret: 2,1 / 2,2 cm
12th fret: 2,5 / 2,6 cm

The values may not look much of a difference, but the feel is very different. I would say: for small and normal hands, the Tokai is better for fast playing. If you have bigger hands (like me), the Edwards feels more comfortable. But that`s personal prefence.

And I forgot to mention two more differences:

- the Edwards has wider/broader frets
- sustain is slightly longer with the Edwards (I think the higher weight and the thicker neck contributes to this)

Thanks that was very informative. May have to reconsider getting an Edwards and getting rid of the Tokai.

I sold this cherry ES130 some 2 weeks ago. I have one in VNT.
Both are not plywood, and I know the difference.

Sorry for not reading all replies.
Cheers. Rup

8e7bf797.jpg

e0086575.jpg

stratman323 said:
That natural finish is gorgeous :p

I agree. When I bought my ES-120 a few years ago, I was torn between the sunburst and natural. Fortunately the decision was made for me as the natural would have had to be made for me and the sunburst was immediately available.

J.

IMHO..ALL the upgrades in the ES155 is not worh the money. Get an ES130, get a TOKIWA T.O.M, get a Gotoh GE101A aluminum tailpiece, get 2 Orange drop 715p/223/400V capacitor, get a switchcraft 1/4" plug and you'll have an ES155++ plus some extra cash in your pocket. Noble pots are much much better than the CTS pots Tokai is using. And there is no tonal nor feel differences between the African and Honduras mahogany neck.

Latest posts

Back