Tokai ES-120 v. Gib. Standard ES-335 v. Gibson Historic 335

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks!

I've played tokais before - always v impressed- played gibsons, epiphones etc - but always v impressed with tokai attention to detail and quality - can't wait to get my hands on my new one!

spikeymikey said:
Chris, your Tokai wall looks nice - what model is the Sunbust 'Paul and could you post some close-up shots of it?
I think it's the refinished/aged one that Chris bought in the U.K., you can find an own thread about it when searching through Chris' postings. It's called "Garlic" or something like that... :wink:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3604&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

deal gone belly up - disputed ownership. guitar now in the hands of the police. I cancelled my payment so I'm not out of pocket.

ah well.

many a slip twixt cup and lip...

Sorry to hear that John's deal has gone 'belly up'. I too am a new member having just purchased a natural flame top ES120. I bought the guitar second-hand. It is a couple of years old and is in mint condition. There are no marks whatsoever and no fret wear. I'm beginning to wonder if it has been played at all. I paid ?700 which I feel was reasonable considering the condition of the guitar. I didn't really know Tokai guitars at all and had been looking at Gibson 335s. They were a bit pricey and somehow with the guitar in your hands it didn't really feel that it was worth the money being asked. The Tokai however felt right from the word go. It was being sold by Jimmy Moon, an outstanding luthier in Glasgow, on behalf of a customer. The ES120 was obviously a quality instrument which surpassed the Gibson by some distance. I am a happy bunny!

Hutton

Hi Hutton,

Always nice to meet a Scot! My wife and I were married in Scotland last year and we had a fabulous time. Even managed some time to look for some vintage gear in Glasgow. Alas, no luck, but we did manage to get hammered with a crew from a Royal Navy sub while they were docked for repairs. :) You never know who you're going to run into in your hotel bar. :)

Take care!

Jim

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear that you and your wife had a great wedding in Scotland. The whole thing sounded just about right: getting hammered, Royal Navy, etc, etc. Jimmy Moon's workshop may well have yielded up the vintage gear you were seeking. However, his workshop is a bit off the beaten track. The good news is that Jimmy and his wife Joan are about to run an online service from their website: www.moonguitars.co.uk

Jimmy was very complimentary regarding the ES120 I bought. He said that it was currently the most tried out guitar in the workshop receiving a lot of interest from customers. Maybe their will be more new Tokai owners out there in the not-too-distant future!

Regards,
Hutton

Ishibashi music sells the ES 120 for just under $1000.00 I have one coming to California next week and the total was about $1150, not bad if you look at gibsons with a lot of issues for 3 or 4 times the price. I remember new ones for $500.00 when I was young.

here we go again- now bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7324402378&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

if I actually acquire it tomorrow will post!

John

jpow112 said:
here we go again- now bought this one:
Yes, that's the orange one we had discussed earlier either in this thread or the others about the ES copies. In the meantime I've found a photo of Mark Knopfler and his original 1959 ES 335 in a german guitar magazine, and it seems to have exactly the same color. So maybe it was available as a special order back then.

There was some discussion about that guitar on another thread. Let us know the actual colour as I don't remember anybody seeing an orange ES100. It may well be red and the photo's are bad.

Congratulations. I have an ES100 that is slightly different. Its not a 100R for a start. The headstock on mine has the gibson Flower inlay and the thrussrod cover is flat at the bottom and flush to the nut.

It is a guitar you will enjoy. The semi's made with this quality have a tone that I have never had the pleasure of producing before.

the original advert for this had a query about the colour - he said it was cherry red, and the photos did not bring out the true colour.

will confirm hopefully later

John

jpow112 said:
the original advert for this had a query about the colour - he said it was cherry red, and the photos did not bring out the true colour.
I know, but if you have a close look at the enlarged picture from its back, you can see that the neck originally is or was in dark cherry red, and that there's a clear distinction between the orange color of the body and the cherry red neck where they join.

Spikeymikey Chris, your Tokai wall looks nice - what model is the Sunbust 'Paul and could you post some close-up shots of it?
Cheers,
Mike.

My good friend Han-Jurgen is quite right that, Les Paul is a bit special

It's was the prototype for theTokai's own Retro guitars, their very own relic'd copy of their own guitars !!!

This guitar doesn't have a serial number, probably due to legal reason's as it has Les Paul in the Gibson script on the headstock.

Here is a link to the Love Rock Relics in the Tokai Registry

Use the search facility on the top menu on the word retrospec, you shoud find all the info that I found out on the guitar

There are loads of close up pictures of the Retrospec there :lol:

She's a Keeper :wink:

Cheers

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai_models.html

Thanks Chris and Hans - J. As I thought - a nice guitar indeed! I tried a relic at Andy's in tinpan alley a couple of years ago and it was very good - I wonder if this was the one? I was tempted.It had a pronounced carve to the top. Lucky you! :D
Cheers,
Mike.

Back