Tokai es 100 MIJ 2002 nat finish

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibnose

Reaction score
Greetings fellow enthusiasts - my 1st post on this site prompted by purchase of said guitar from ebay Canada $700 us or $795 Can or &350 (thats supposed to be Eng pounds). I haven't played too much yet - I also need a recommendation on the best strings for jazz and blues- flat .11's perhaps? Anyhow, what do you all think and thanks for this forum. I very much enjoy the contributions.
cheers
Ibnose

Welcome to the forum and congrats - you've picked up a great guitar at a great price.

I too have an ES 100 (1981) and also play mostly blues, swing and some jazz. Simple thing to remember about strings, the more metal in the form of gauge, the more depth of tone. The difference between 11's versus 9's or 10's is huge

11's are fine - I play D'Addario XL's (11 - 49) on all of my guitars. Flat wounds are okay but if you are doing single note bends, your fingers will have a tendency to slip off of them - particularly if you like your action low.

Send some pics when you get a chance........welcome aboard.

Marcus

Hey Marcus and all contributors - regarding strings if I may - the "g" sounds slightly flat ( or lazy as I call it ) and am wondering what is the best string or method to remedy this annoyance.
thanks to all again
Brock

I'm not sure if you mean flat as in intonation or flat as in dull in sound. Further do you mean acoustically without the amp or when played thru your amp?

Going from a solid G string to a wound G string will make some difference in sound - again due to more metal in the wound string. But you can pretty much forget about bending that thing much......

The easiest thing to do is experiment with string gauges and types until you find the sound and feel you're looking for that matches your playing style......strings are relatively cheap.

Hi Marcus What I mean about the g string is when you play a 'c' chord, the 'g' string sounds like its a semi-tone or even quarter-tone low or flat and your impulse is to tune up slightly which then throws the 'b' string out. How do you remedy this situation? Is it different strings or just intonation or whast. Any suggestions?
Ibnose

Can anyone tell me what this guitar would be worth in their respective area/country? thanks

To answer your two questions above:

It sounds to me that the intonation is off on your G string. Here's how to check....tune the open sting to pitch. Then fret the string on the 12th fret and look at your tuner. If it is flat (as you mention) you need to "shorten" the string by adjusting the saddle with the adjustment screw and move the saddle toward the pickups incrementally until it's no longer flat when depressed at the 12th fret. Conversely, if the string was sharp when depressed at the 12th fret, lengthen the string by adjusting the saddle away from the pickups.

The quick answer to what your guitar is worth here in the states is - whatever someone is willing to pay for it. The 80's ES100J(azz) or R(ock) models will fetch $1000 or more. Your 2002 could go anywhere from maybe $800 and up......

Back