Tokai Double Cut TV Jr.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Jones

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I finally got my guitar today - here's a few quick & dirty pics for you.

Tokai_1.jpg

Tokai_2.jpg

Tokai_3.jpg

I'll try to post some better shots later. The plastic is still on the pickguard so that's not helping. This guitar was made in Japan but it still has the dimple in the open book of the headstock. It has full size pots, a great neck feel and a fantastic resonant acoustic sound. The pickup sounds great but is microphonic when you really turn up the gas - to be expected I guess. It's pretty quiet for a P90 guitar, they were even nice enough to shield the control cavity with conductive paint so that definitely helps.

I'll report back when I spend some time with her - so far so good!!!

Jim

Hey Jim,
Do the Japanese models have that dimple too?

Man, I'm really liking that LS-180 on ebay right now.

I was aiming at a Greco LP too but the seller pulled it before the auction ended. I've noticed him do that in the past quite a bit too. Not too sure why. Maybe he sold it locally.

Also talked a little with Mr. A. Mechling about a Greco strat. Too many mixed reviews, I guess, is holding me back.

...keep building those great amps and pedals at the "HOUSE OF JIM".

Clay

Awesome guitar. I really like these 'simple' Gibson-style models, though if I ever were to get one, I'd get one with two P90s.

By the waym I think the guitarist from the Donnas has the same model as you do (also a Tokai) :)

Hey guys,

I got to play her a bit last night...man I'm really liking the chunky (for what I'm used to) neck. My only Gibson is a '79 LP Deluxe and it has a really teeny neck in comparison.

I can't get over how good it sounds acoustically - always a good sign in an electric guitar. A mahogany neck glued into a mahogany body is a wonderful thing. :) ...and something I'd never experienced before as my LP has a maple neck.

Crunchy overdrive sounds are great through my two homebrew Marshall-type circuits (a JTM 45 w/ KT66's and a 20 watt 1987 with 6CM6's) into a Marshall 4x10 cabinet. The only problems start to appear when the amp is cranked right up - if you're standing too close to the amp it starts to squeal like a piggy. :) I'm not going to worry about this for now but it may require a pickup swap down the road.

The neck is awesome, nice and chunky, and the fretwork is perfect. You could slide up to the 12th position on one of the LP Classics on the wall at my local Gibson dealer and amputate all your fingers on that fretwork - sheesh.

I guess a neck pickup would be a requirement for some but I wanted a completely stripped-down no-frills rock and roll guitar. I should have bought one of these years ago - it would have made more sense for my style than the Tele I bought back in highschool. Hey, I never used the neck pickup on that at all. :)

Now if I can track down a nice 50's type Tokai or Burny LP from the 80's (Goldtop would be nice) I'd be set. I'll probably end up selling my Tele and LP when I do, too.

Take care!

Jim

How are you getting on with your TJ60 Jim?

I envy you something rotten at the moment - I've got one on order in the same colour. They're a bit harder to come by in the UK, and the wait is killing me.

I'd be interested to know what you reckon of the pickups. I had a quick go on one without an amp a few months back and was very impressed. I was told the pickups don't do it justice though. I'm already scouting out possible replacements just in case.

Would you say that the colour in your pics looks fairly accurate?
All of the pictures I've seen have a different hue. I presume that's a photography issue, but I'd be pleased if you said yours looks a lighter yellow that the pics.

Hope you enjoy it anyway.

Hi pms,

The pickup is not a great sounding P90 (in my limited experience). The comments about the pickup not doing the guitar justice are accurate I'd say. It sounds so good acoustically you just know that with a good pickup it will kill plugged in!

I'd say that the body closeup pic is pretty accurate for colour. Even my wife likes the colour! She thought it was going to look like a canary with a solid finish, she likes the wood grain showing through. :)

Take care - you'll like the guitar!

Jim

Hello Jim Jones :D
Where have you bought your TV model ?
I would like to buy one like this, but in France it's impossible, so I'll order one on the net, but I don't know where :wink:

I can hook you up with one if you like. Shoot me an e-mail....;)

:eek: A good upgrade for the P-90 is the Gibson P-100 all that is good about the P-90 without the noise 8) I think you will be happy with it! :wink: TG

or check a wolfe p90. he'll custom wind you one to sound like any sound clip you send him, great guy. i was never a fan of the p100 i think the single coil noise is a part of the charm. the sd hot is also a killer replacement

Hi Brian,

I've heard good things about the Wolpe pickups, too. I'm broke at the moment but I think I'm going to get one from Jason Lollar next month - I've heard great things about his work as well.

Take care!

Jim

Wow, I didn't get around to posting any clips did I? :)

The Lollar P90 sounds just amazing! I really will try to get something posted - before 2006, how 'bout that? :)

I'm really happy with the Tokai Jr. overall. The finish isn't something purists would dig and the three piece body is less than high-end but the guitar plays and sounds incredible. I'd highly recommend a TJ60 to anyone looking for a bare bones rocker.

Jim

Latest posts

Back