TOKAI 57RI Strat SPRINGY SOUND ST-60 1978 Model CHEAP!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryn

Reaction score
Hi All

Just purchased this last night on ebay and didn't expect to win the
bid, now that I have I'm a little concerned it's a fake, sadly only have
experience with fender Jv's...

Is this the real deal or another ebay scam before I had over any cash?

Many thanks
Darryn

sorry....,.haven`t completed my correspondence course in mind reading.....what exactly are we talking about?

Hi

Sorry forgot the link!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7419589480

I spotted it late last night and thought I'd put in a low bid..actually lower than what I'd expected it to fetch, anyway I won which because their was no other bid's but the original 1 bid, it makes me a little worried that it could be a fake..

I haven't really been able to find many site other than the tokai forum to check, the serial and ID section seemed a little vague to understand what a '78 ST-60 should be and I've also only seen 54RI not 57RI..

Silly not to check more before bidding but thought I'd might get a last minute bargain and then I question the guitar before payment..

Thanks
Darryn

I have a "78 LS60.

Different animal, I know, but I paid more than that and it is absolutely outstanding.

The experts around here can probably shed more light, but it looks like a good score to me.

Enjoy :D

Thanks stratmoto,

Let's hope so, I've got 3 days to pay, so I'll see if anyone shed's anymore light on this one...

I'm not too sure about the serial number 800XXXX means the 8 is '78 and that a 57RI was in the Tokai range for that year.

Let's hope it doesn't crash and burn and then I've just got to tell the wife I've got another guitar ;-)

Cheers
Darryn

Did you manage too take a quick look at the link for ebay.

Does it look like the real deal, will pay for it in the morning if feedback from this site looks good ;-)

Finding it hard to find info on '78 St-60's..not sure of the exact spec and
dating information for this one......but it looks good..

Thanks
Darryn

It's mentioned in the advert that they are vintage nickel. Nickel can turn that colour but not sure if Tokai's have nothing, Deluxe or Tokai on the back of the tuners.

Cheers
Darryn :roll:

It looks like a genuine Springy to me. The tuners should be stamped Tokai on the back but it's hard to tell from the picture if they are. As mentioned nickel can get like that over the years. My -82 Springy is almost identical but has the Final Prospec bridge saddles and Deluxe stamped tuners.

Micke

Thanks Lads,

I've sent him the money, looking forward to playing this guitar.. Haven't had a Tokai since I was 12 years old ;-) Took me 20 years to realise that
I should have sticked with the Jap Strats, currently using a Mint 57 & 62RI '82 JV's with the fender logo, so looking forward to comparing the three...

Does anyone know how much a '78 Tokai is worth at shop price, have they moved up in price like the JV's of recent years? (One for the collection hopefully!!)

Cheers
Darryn

Well, I think the Springy's are getting expensive. When I bought mine earlier this year I also looked at a couple of the Tokais for sale here:

http://snabet.free.fr/Guitars.html

- The white needed a refret and some wood was missing under the pickguard for some reason, the price was 990Euro.

- The red -81 Springy was 1100 Euros and sold for 1000.

All of the Springys are now sold. In Sweden you can still find a JV strat at a reasonable price (~500-600 Euro).

Micke

It's quite amazing that Tokai is now fetching more than some early JV's..

They must be really good to beat the major player at their own game
or we are now seriously over rating MIJ guitars.. but then again
it's the closest that most of us can afford to the real thing maybe in the future
we can't afford Tokai's or JV's like the early strats at the moment!

Cheers
Darryn

Thats an awesome looking Springy Darren. If she sounds and plays as good as she looks....... you got a great guitar.

Looks like I missed another Blackie! :oops:

Well it's at Tokyo Airport at the moment, will let you know what it's like after I've checked it over...
Lets hope it's a good one... but for ?271 + postage can't complain.. :D

Back