To buy or not to buy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimman886

Reaction score
I'm looking at a brand new Tokai Studio model les paul,it's made in korea,does Tokai make a Studio? I don't see many people talking about them.I've been reading the epi's aren't really that good just labeled a generic gibson for all that matter.No i'm not new to this i own several westones and anyone that has checked one out knows there way better than most strats.Hands down a really great guitar and there fairly cheap for now.My question is are the new tokai guitars any good compared to the older tokai's this one is a 2006 model.Thanks for your info because i really like this guitar and don't want to waste my money after all everybody knows how hard that is to come by. Money that is LOL THanks! :D William

trimman886 said:
does Tokai make a Studio?
I'm not sure if you're talking about the ALS37S models, they look like Studio copies in the catalog, but I can't make out if they lack the body binding of the normal models or not. The other specs of that model are bolt-on maple neck and flamed sycamore laminated top on alder back (does not necessarily mean it has a plain maple top under the veneer). Furthermore they have dot neck inlays (probably no neck binding either) and black control knobs which is similar to Les Paul Studios, too.

Thanks for your reply Hans.The guitar in question is on a ebay auction #7379966614 I don't no how to post the link if you don't mind looking at it and LMK what you think i would be greatfull.It has trapizoid inlays and no binding on body or neck and it's a beauty.Thanks again Hans,William

trimman886 said:
It has trapizoid inlays and no binding on body or neck and it's a beauty.
Sorry, can't help you at the moment, because the German internet is awfully slow right now, so I cannot search Ebay for example. My guess is that it's one of those Canadian "special versions".

I have one of those (metallic red, 2004 vintage) which I got from the same seller. I'm in Canada, as is he.

My opinion is not overly valuable, because I'm just a hobby player with very limited skills, but I'm very happy with this guitar. I think it was a fantastic bargain for the price. It plays nice, sounds nice and the finish is great. It's a bit heavy, but that's the nature of the beast.

The auction description with mine was exactly the same as with the one you're looking at. It's definitely a Canadian market guitar and seems very similar to the other Love Rocks you can buy from that seller and others.

As one small difference, the headstock on mine doesn't say "Love Rock" on it and if you look at the pictures, neither does the one on eBay. The Tokai inlay is there, but the decal isn't. I'm not sure why that is. Guess they decided to save a few pennies on a decal. The serial number is there on the back though, in exactly the same spot and style as with the Love Rocks pictured from other sellers, and the serial number is in range with those I've seen on MIK Love Rocks elsewhere in Ontario. My feeling would be that it came from the same batches as the other MIKs around here but just doesn't have the binding.

The nut is supposed to be bone, but mine is black and might well be plastic. I honestly don't know how to tell. It's well cut anyway and the guitar's action is great with no buzzing. The intonation was dead on when I got it.

I don't have any real basis for comparison, as far as real LP studios go, because the only real Gibson I've ever owned was a Corvus. It was a cool guitar in its own oddball way, and I regret having sold it because they're hard to find these days, but the quality of the Corvus (early 80s Gibson) was nowhere near as nice as my Tokai. Build quality on the Love Rock is excellent.

As a matter of taste, I've always liked the look of LP Studios the best. I think binding detracts from the looks of a guitar. I'm probably in the minority there, though.

Anyway, if you're looking for a Les Paul style guitar for a decent price, I don't think you'd regret getting that one.

Thanks for your input I.M.Glad to here from someone that dealt with the man himself i think his name is vince.Well guess i'm going to gather up some bucks for that studio can't wait to get my hands on one,Later guys

I found he was pretty good to deal with, although his communication habits are terrible. If you buy from him, don't expect any communication other than the guitar arriving at your door.

In my case, I had to force the communication issue a bit because my guitar was over a week in arriving when shipments within Ontario with him typically only take a couple of days. When I emailed him to say it was a bit late coming, he got back to me right away and expressed what I believe was genuine surprise that it hadn't arrived yet. He tracked the shipping problem down right away, then reshipped the guitar overnight at his expense and refunded my original shipping fee as a goodwill gesture. Despite the shipping problem and initial lack of communication, I came out of it very happy and would buy from him again without hesitation. In fact, when my tax return shows up, I probably will. :D

I should also mention that JSD, who advertizes here and is a forum member, also has Canadian spec MIK Tokais and is reputably a good and honest seller. He doesn't appear to currently have any studios in stock, but he may be able to order one for you if guitar_sales (Vince) doesn't have what you're looking for. Myrareguitars.com had a really nifty looking metallic purple one a couple of months ago, although I see that it now appears to have been sold. I'm not sure what colours are available, but there appear to be choices with the Studios not available with the regular run of Love Rocks.

Anyway, good luck. I hope you can find one you'll like.

Latest posts

Back