Thinking of building a tube amp from a Weber kit...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipps

Reaction score
Hiya,

This year's project is going to be to build a valve amp from a kit. I like the look of the Weber kits - https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits.htm - and was going to go for one of the simple Tweed Champ models, but I'd like reverb, so Ted recommended their Blackface 6A14 kits as it has reverb and tremolo built in and apparently 'Isn't that hard' to build...
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm#6A14

I'm happy with soldering irons, and I know about the high voltages... Any one else build an amp for themselves from a kit?

I already have a great Boogie Lone Star Special, but fancy a smaller amp, and a bit of a challenge... :)

comments and abuse welcome...

Hi there! Whenever you go for it: I'd appreciate your input. I've got this one waiting for me.

IMG_0671.jpg

sorry, made a mistake with copy/paste.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?cPath=96_113&products_id=1293&osCsid=c88261c1f37a1a65e45d2d22326dd912

btw: what's your take on the LS special? I have an M4 and I was thinking about the LSS for some time. Then I went for the Reussenzehn Mk2.
Cheers! Rup

I didn't build it myself but bought a pre-built JTM45 clone from Ceriatone, you pay about $80 on top of the kit price for them to build it. I'm pretty handy with an iron, but the build quaility is 1000000% better than I could have done myself & it works!!! Obviously there's the satisfaction factor I'm missing out on.

I did quite a bit of research in to the various amp kits available and quality-wise the consensus seems to be: (out of the big suppliers)

Metro
TAD or Ceriatone
Weber

Value for money for me in Europe Ceriatone came out top, and support from Nik at Ceriatone has been second to none.

Hi john, I'm just about to order a ceriatone from Nick as well its a JCM 800 2204 marshall clone then i'm getting him to send it to Voodoo amps in the US for a few mods and then they'll ship it here, it still ends up a relatively cheap amp and it will kick some serious arse..... 8) 8) 8) . Awesome amps

Mick

Mick

Get Nik to do the mods for you, it wll be tons cheaper than sending the amp via the US to Aus.

Re: the Lone Star Spesh
I've had it a couple of months so far and it's not really headed above (loud) bedroom levels. I get to wind it up on Saturday though (I'm crowbarring a guest slot with the band playing at my birthday party...).

The clean channel is lovely, lovely, lovely. Like a clear and deep well... The reverb is lush too. Everything from Dire Straits, to bitey blues.

The second channel is quite wooly, though in a good way. I've not wound it up yet, but it seems happier turning out Santana to Black Keys kind of stuff. It's not a 'take your head off' tone and great for what I'm after.

It weighs a ton though... Build quality seems great, though the handle's coming unstitched (to be replaced FOC) and I've blown the main 1A fuse once... Must get some spares...

Hi John, the problem is i can't get a schematic from voodoo and Nik doesn't know how to do these mods. I have exchanged multiple emails with Nik and i know he does great work but he can't replicate something when he doesn't know whats been done. So i have come to a stalemate, anyway the amp i was going to buy still works out at about twice the price as doing it this way. I am not getting the amp sent in its box or with the transformer so it weighs around 5 kilo's which is relatively cheap to ship....... :wink:

Mick

Mick, You've obviously done your homework and know what you want. Let's hear all about the amp when it arrives, sounds like it should be a monster!!

I was thinking about a Tremolux or Vibrolux, both '50s models, but it seems nobody produce those kits.

The order's in place. Should take a month to get it together and over here in the UK
Purple levant and pinstripe grill...

It should look great even if my soldering's not up to scratch... :)

Went for the 6A14 head with reverb and tremolo. I'll let you know how I get on.

Back