the only true lawsuit strat?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatriz joya

Reaction score
i was told that the only true lawsuit strat is a vintage tokai 54'strat w/ 1pc. maple soft-v-neck & sunburst ash body. is it true? what is a lawsuit strat? why "lawsuit"? what is a the difference between v-neck & a soft
v-neck & a c-neck?

Lawsuit refers to the rumors that Tokai was sued by Fender and Gibson to stop production of the Tokai copy guitars. However, there never was a lawsuit against Tokai. But in general lawsuit refers to a guitar that is an exact copy of a Fender, Gibson, Ricky, et.

Ned

no lawsuit against tokai, only rumors,

cool, lika a myth or a legend, i mean rumors are publicities, they always lead to popularity.

maybe because tokai really hit it.

and maybe even openned the doors for MIJ American guitars.

The big contribution, outside of high quality guitars, was it woke both Fender and Gibson up to the value of building guitars to "vintage" specs.

v, soft v and c refer to the shape of the back of the neck. C, for example, is a smooth curve. V is a sharper, v-shaped curve. Soft v is in the middle.

None of them is better than the others, they are just different.

thanks, paladin,

the first strat in 1954, what's in the neck? a deep-U, some calls it a soft-V.

what about the body, are all '54 strats ash & in sunburst. is that the way they release an annual model during those period?

like a '65 strat, are they all alder & coated black?

I think it was like this - the lawsuit was threatened by Gibson against the makers of Ibanez guitars about 1977, no legal action just a threat. In the end Gibson got nothing except a ?gentleman?s agreement? for Ibanez to change the wavy shape at the top of the headstock (so-called ?open book? shape or ?moustache? shape), several other Japanese makers initially followed suit & changed shape, but after a year or two many of them changed back to the exact open-book shape ? Tokai began making electrics in 77 or 78 & always made the whole thing ?exact?. I guess Gibson really had no case in Law, or at least couldn?t make it stick outside the US. The Fender story was a bit different, instead of trying a lawsuit they made an agreement, again with Ibanez, to manufacture ?real? Strats & Teles in Japan (first as "JV Squier") ? agreement meant these guitars not for sale in the US (sales confined to Japan & Europe), point being to stop US buyers getting cheaper Japanese copies (keep them buying expensive US Fender).

Really the term ?Lawsuit? has now become thoroughly worthless ie just used as a sales pitch. As Ned says, it now refers to any of the more exact looking copies made in 1970?s-80?s, and main effect was to wake up Gibson & Fender,? eg by 1977-78 Tokai already made a very precise copy of 1958-60 Les Paul, however, at that time Gibson themselves were only just beginning to experiment with ?re-issues? like the rare Jimmy Wallace models & Strings & Things models (all dealer requests), but it was not until 1980-82 that Gibson really got going with their Heritage-80 model (fine guitar, but far from exact copy/re-issue). 2-cents :-? .

Ian.

Hi guys,

Ned and Ian are correct, there was no lawsuit - only threats. End of story.
Both Gibson and Fender recognised the ***-whiooing they wree gonna receive and set forth the hounds of hell upon the Imperilistic guitar maker... sorry, i watch way too many trilogies.
Anyway, in 1982 Fender did make a big noise over the illegal use of the word 'strat' in the springy sound logo. This they changed very quickly

Peterr Mac

it's an old post but I just found a nice article of this so called "law suit" Ibanez guitars
http://www.guitarattack.com/destroyer/lawsuit.htm

There was a lawsuit initiated in 2004 by Gibson v Tokai.

GIBSON GUITAR CORP. v. TOKAI GAKKI COMPANY, LTD. (M.D.Tenn. 2-6-2007)NO. 3:04-0449.February 6, 2007
In accordance with the Memorandum filed herewith, Tokai's motion to set aside the default judgment (Docket Entry No. 49) is DENIED. Upon review of the file, there are not any further matters before the Court.

That would make every Love Rock made before May 2004 a "pre-lawsuit" guitar :lol:

I would force anyone who uses (or abuses) the word "lawsuit" in their ad. for a Tokai to pay 50% of the sale price to the Tokai Forum.

If they are a forum member, it should be 100%, as they have no excuse for their ignorance. That would solve the problem.

:wink:

Hi. I bought a Tokia Les Paul [Korean] about five years ago-on a whim
It's a beautiful guitar, and is my main instrument. I own a PRS custom
and other expensive guitars-but the tokia is my baby. It has the open
book head stock but no serial number. Would anybody out there know
how old it is?

Larry said:
Hi. I bought a Tokia Les Paul [Korean] about five years ago-on a whim
It's a beautiful guitar, and is my main instrument. I own a PRS custom
and other expensive guitars-but the tokia is my baby. It has the open
book head stock but no serial number. Would anybody out there know
how old it is?

Best start a new thread about this and post some pics - this thread is about totally different guitars.

Mike

Back