Super Edition Strat - Coil splitter?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CW

Reaction score
Hi -

I've got a Super Edition (see photos for whole guitar and headstock)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/cw_tokai/DSC02474.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/cw_tokai/DSC02475.jpg

From looking at the headstock pictures, it looks like it's a 1984 edition, but the serial number is L26878, which doesn't seem to match (I thought the first digit was the year, which would make it 1982). I bought it around 1988, so I'm not sure...

If anyone can give me an idea on the date of manufacture, I'd appreciate it.

But I'm really interested in the tone control. If you pull it out, you get a much thinner, strat-like sound. I assume that this is a coil splitter, but could be an out of phase switch.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

CW

If it's a phase switch, it will give you a thinner, more "honky" sound (less mids) when both pickups are selected, a bit like Peter Green's tone. In the other two positions there will be no difference.

If it's a coil tap (which is more likely), the sound will be thinner and more Strat-like in all 3 positions, as the humbuckers are turned into single coils.

Mike

It's possible that it's wired series/parallel, instead of series/split, but less likely. Parallel would still be hum cancelling, split won't be. In my experience, parallel and split sound quite similar.

The Seymour Duncan website has various diagrams that might help to decide this, but it doesn't matter much either way. As long as the sounds are useful, don't worry about it. :p

I've seen another one of those within the uk, And I hadnt seen one til I had seen his, (his brothers iirc). And never expected to see another

modland said:
I've seen another one of those within the uk, And I hadnt seen one til I had seen his, (his brothers iirc). And never expected to see another

So it's a bit of a rarity?

It's a lovely guitar and it's got a built-in overdrive unit as well (that's controlled by the 3rd pot).

It's got the "80" sticker on the back, so it was presumably 80,000 Yen, which would have been on the high end of their spec? (I've seen mention of 120, which presumably would be the real top end).

CW said:
It's a lovely guitar and it's got a built-in overdrive unit as well (that's controlled by the 3rd pot).

How does that work? Is it an active circuit powered by a battery?

sorry if im wrong but doesnt the 50 or 80 sticker on the neck mean (for example on my breezysound) that its a 50's neck

Ive got a 1984 Tokai Breezysound, single ply scratchplate, flame maple neck, and it has a sticker on the rear saying 50 above the made in japan text, I thought this meant its a 50's style neck (by profile or whatever)

No, it indicates the model number. Here's my 84 Goldie - the number indicates that it's an ST55, which is an ST50 with a custom colour (MG):

119_1908.jpg

modland said:
sorry if im wrong but doesnt the 50 or 80 sticker on the neck mean (for example on my breezysound) that its a 50's neck

Ive got a 1984 Tokai Breezysound, single ply scratchplate, flame maple neck, and it has a sticker on the rear saying 50 above the made in japan text, I thought this meant its a 50's style neck (by profile or whatever)

Try the seach facility :wink: The 50 or 80 sticker relates to the guitars original selling price in 000's of Yen What's an '80's neck profile?? :D

And the model number was determined by the original selling price in yen, just in case it seems as though John and I are contradicting each other - we're not.

Its just for some reason i remember someone telling me that the 50 meant that it was a 50's copy, basically a 52 reissue, which made sense having the full maple neck and single ply pickguard

(ps - please bear with me as im not mega big on guitars)

modland said:
so by this pic my breezy is a te50?

Exactly. It's as simple as that. You get maple and rosewood boards TE50s and ST50s - it's nothing to do with the year being copied.

8)

:eek:
hey CW - just getting around to saying hi to everyone for the first time and excited about showing off my fantastic Tokai...and you've got one too !! Mines is stamped L26627 but no stickers on back of neck. Glad you had yours as it helps to try and identify it a bit better. I bought it 'new' back in 1986 and after a hiatus of about 10yrs dusted it off last year and have started seriously playing again. It's got a huge range of sounds with the coil tap and the built in distortion and as for the finish.....yikes....too much for 1 guitar
Guess I'd be interested to find out it's value for house insurance purposes etc....anyone any ideas ??
Great website and forum...
Cheers
Jonboy
TokaiSE3.jpg

TokaiSE2.jpg

I agree - they're beautiful guitars.

I've no idea of value, but you'd have to pay me a LOT to get mine off me. It would have to put a significant dent in my mortgage! It would also have to be enough for me to buy both a strat and Les Paul of similar quality.

A similar tele went on ebay recently for ?399, although there was only one bidder. It only had two pots, so presumably didn't have the built in overdrive and there was no mention of the coil tap either. I think strats look better and would guess they sell for more, so with that and the extra hardware, I'd guess you'd add another ?100, but I'm no expert. If you found a decent guitarist and let them play it, I wouldn't be surprised if they paid a lot more!

The tele on ebay was advertised as being 1981 although the Tokai logo didn't look right for that year and the seller didn't respond to my query. So I still reckon mine's from around 1984.

CW

Hi all

Just found this forum, so this is first post here. What a great place this is !

I have exactly the same Super Edition as the pics at the start of this thread and had been trying for a while to id it for model and date, which was frustrating since it doesn't appear to be referenced in any catalogs etc.

This thread is very helpful, but can someone please clear up for me:

- What is the model name of this guitar ? To my knowledge, Super Edition refers to a range rather than a model, and other Super Editions seem to be pure Strat copies which this clearly isn't. So is there a more specific model name for my guitar ?

- What's date of manufacture ? My serial number is L27134 which I think makes it 82, is this correct.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any help..
G.

These guitars were produced in 85.The serial no on goldies or post goldie st types including yours ,bears no relationship to date of manufacture.The L part of the no. however indicates that the guitar is post 83 and has a rosewood board.(think of Fender`s L series guitars.gabe.

Latest posts

Back