SUNRISE Les Paul Custom copy probably made by Tokai Gakki

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdoodek

Reaction score
Hi, I've purchase a SUNRISE brand LP Custom copy, but didn't found any real good info about it.

Here is specification:

- body is for 99% not made of mahogany; probably it is an alder on sen ash. The back is made I think from 3-4 pieces, top is made of ply
- the bridge has "made in japan" wrote on the back
- pots are Cosmos Tokyo Made in Japan 500k
- pick-ups are GOTO/GOTOH P.A.F.s "D" stamped
- headstock is an "open book" style
- TRC is 3-screws

I think it was made in '70s in Japan. Here is a thread on mylespaul.com which shows everything I was able to get (photos are there on second page):
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/146408-sunrise-les-paul-replica-two-gibsons-workers.html

Besides that I've found few more clues:

- there are one or two threads/reports about SUNRISE guitars, one is about eletric bass in which poster claims it was made by Tokai Gakki in early 80s
- only ONE man on youtube posted videos with SUNRISE guitar, it is ES335 copy, I was mailing with him, but he also knows nothing and looks for informations.

So, if there is anyone who might know something about this rare guitar brand I will be thankful for any clues

Very unlikely that it was made by Tokai; control cavity routing is not Tokai. There's no pics of the pickup cavities; if it doesn't have square tab routing, it sure is not Tokai. Never seen a plywood Tokai before either btw.
The only part that was also used by Tokai is the 'D' stamped Goto pickups (LS60).

what about other brands that was made in Tokai Gakki ? Did they also have same routing as Tokai ? Tokai's Les Paul Old/Reborn Old were started in '78, what was before ? Other possibility is that it was made in Matsumoku. That guitar has few similiarities with ARIA

marcusnieman said:
The five ply binding around the face of the headstock is very Matsumoku

Matsumoku made a lot of strange, "one-shot" brands of guitars, so supossed to be it. Maybe its not honduran mahogany, but still very rare item, and, in my hand it lays better than epiphones, vintages, even DBZs (Dean Zelinsky) Bolero (which is much more expensive). The neck is kinda '50s style, round and fat but very playable (maybe not for shredding, but chords and blues fits it greatly).

pdoodek said:
marcusnieman said:
The five ply binding around the face of the headstock is very Matsumoku

Matsumoku made a lot of strange, "one-shot" brands of guitars, so supossed to be it. Maybe its not honduran mahogany, but still very rare item, and, in my hand it lays better than epiphones, vintages, even DBZs (Dean Zelinsky) Bolero (which is much more expensive). The neck is kinda '50s style, round and fat but very playable (maybe not for shredding, but chords and blues fits it greatly).

Hey, as long as you like it and it sounds good, that's all that matters. Good looking guitar - play it and enjoy it.

I've been a collector of Univox (Matsumoku) guitars for years and people often say they are pieces of **** but I have some that will blow the socks of of some of my pedigreed MIJ guitars..... besides, if Magic Sam can rock Earl Hookers bolt neck Uni Les Paul like this, it's all good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5DGqCfk8o

yeah, it plays realy nice, it is chambered (bubble top means some empty spaces in body) and sometimes i have strange feeling it sounds (especially on high strings) like a little reverbed :D and the neck is the most comfortable I was ever playing, and feeling best made.

It's just it would be nice to know something more about it, but still maybe someday will want to to collect it, and this thread will give him a chance to get it.

If any one will be interested in having it send an email:

[email protected]

I live in Poland

Latest posts

Back