Strange Burny???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumblebee

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am thinking about buying this burny!
The seller says it's from 81-82. But the headstock design doesn't match in my opinion. The script is low but the trussrod cover is without the wings.
According to the low script it should be end 80s. The trussrod is changeable.
Take also a look at the top.
It looks like a one piece to me. What do you think?
There are no screw holes for the pickguard. And the seller confirmed this.
But the electric is the cheap one with the green ceramic caps.
That all makes no sense to me!
Really a strange Burny.

Maybe someone has some explanations???

(By the way I am well familiar with the Nils-Bro Muller site and other sites)

DSCF6847.jpg

DSCF6852.jpg

DSCF6850.jpg

Bumblebee said:
Hi everyone!

I am thinking about buying this burny!
The seller says it's from 81-82. But the headstock design doesn't match in my opinion. The script is low but the trussrod cover is without the wings.
According to the low script it should be end 80s. The trussrod is changeable.
Take also a look at the top.
It looks like a one piece to me. What do you think?
There are no screw holes for the pickguard. And the seller confirmed this.
But the electric is the cheap one with the green ceramic caps.
That all makes no sense to me!
Really a strange Burny.
Not strange at all... it's an RLG-50 from the mid- late- 80's. 2pc plain top. See if you can get a shot of the neck joint and check for 1-pc neck or heel-cap. Heel cap puts it '83-'86ish.

It is definitiedly not a '81-82 as seller claims... there were only flame tops then.

villager said:
I am the seller, I will take it apart this weekend to look, but I originally thought it was a 1982 guitar, heh of course I could be wrong..
HOW DARE YOU MISLEAD SOMEONE..!!!!
Lol...everyone makes mistakes....except me of course :p

Bumblebee said:
Really a strange Burny.

As has been suggested pics of the heel cap would help.
Also, pics of the pickup bases, a pic of the neck tenon/inside the neck pickup route, and a few other details.

Between the RLG & RLC models I have owned nearly thirty Burnys, and not a single one of them had a serial number.
Pegging them with a date of manufacture is like putting the pieces of a puzzle in place.
I had one example that had a head stock face veneer; go figure.

The top is unusual for a RLG as it has nearly book matched features, instead of the typical flicth matched features.
From my experience, this type of top matching for the RLG points to a late 1980s/early 1990s.

First of all I have to say that I really really think it's great that the seller says "Here I am and probably I did a mistake!". I really mean it.
But on the other hand if you deal with these guitars you should take some time to get the best info you can get on what you sell.
The headstock just gives the first piece of information. If you really wanna get the info you need, you need to take a look at the pickups and the pickup cavaties. And then you should post these pics on the site so that everybody is able to see this vital information.
But that's just my opinion.

I just took a glance at the catalogue from 81-82 and yes there are NO lemonburst Burnys. So this one is definitely not of those years.
The script gives this info also. The trussrod has to be changed.

If it's a bookmatched top it's really awesome. It just looks solid to me.
Is the body a 2 or 3 piece body if it's really a late 80s RLG.50?

Here are two pics of the back. I don't know if you can see a heelcap or not.

DSCF6853.jpg

DSCF6854.jpg

Thanks for the great response to MIJvintage!!!

well thanks for the advice, but a bit harsh I feel ..

i have 30 odd guitars a month through my hands, I don't really have that much time initially to completely inventorise and ID the model.. especially for the lower priced stuff, ...

but as I said in the original post, I will take some time out to provide the required info..which is when I look in detail at the guitar..

the site info has been changed from 1980-2 to 1980's so I hope everyone is happy now...

villager said:

i have 30 odd guitars a month through my hands, I don't really have that much time initially to completely inventorise and ID the model.. especially for the lower priced stuff, ...

but as I said in the original post, I will take some time out to provide the required info..which is when I look in detail at the guitar..

the site info has been changed from 1980-2 to 1980's so I hope everyone is happy now...

Ok maybe a little bit harsh.
But without the above mentioned pics everybody needs to rely on you. And if you say you don't have always the time to ID the models people buy guitars on wrong information and pay maybe more than they should.
That's just the point I wanted to make!

Bumblebee said:
villager said:

Ok maybe a little bit harsh.
But without the above mentioned pics everybody needs to rely on you. And if you say you don't have always the time to ID the models people buy guitars on wrong information and pay maybe more than they should.
That's just the point I wanted to make!

As a buyer, I always feel it is incumbent upon me to do my due diligence in research myself, and not just take for granted what I read. Honest mistakes can be, and are made, by sellers. That's what is great about this forum... having the opportunity to get a few dozen sets of eyes and opinions to help us make our decisions :)

Bumblebee said:
First of all I have to say that I really really think it's great that the seller says "Here I am and probably I did a mistake!". I really mean it.
But on the other hand if you deal with these guitars you should take some time to get the best info you can get on what you sell.
The headstock just gives the first piece of information. If you really wanna get the info you need, you need to take a look at the pickups and the pickup cavaties. And then you should post these pics on the site so that everybody is able to see this vital information.
But that's just my opinion.

I just took a glance at the catalogue from 81-82 and yes there are NO lemonburst Burnys. So this one is definitely not of those years.
The script gives this info also. The trussrod has to be changed.

If it's a bookmatched top it's really awesome. It just looks solid to me.
Is the body a 2 or 3 piece body if it's really a late 80s RLG.50?

Here are two pics of the back. I don't know if you can see a heelcap or not.

DSCF6853.jpg

DSCF6854.jpg

Thanks for the great response to MIJvintage!!!

wow! what a nice backside.

MIJvintage said:
IMO, every guitar that goes thru' a seller's hands should receive the same scrutiny, no matter the price point, etc. .....................

as I said above, they do, but the high end get my attention when they come in, and the lower end get the attention when someone asks for specific pics or info, or when I have the time and inclination to take them apart.. ..

the only thing in error on that guitar on my description was the date, which I dated from the truss rod cover and the general appearance, and that has now been corrected...

and bumblebee, its not so simple to ID the models accurately every time...I do my best, and frankly I think I do a pretty fine job on my site in correctly describing every guitar to the best of my knowledge...

whether that is an 82 or 87 burny, it makes no difference to my asking price, so no one would be ''paying more for wrong information'' as you put it...

MIJvintage said:
Bumblebee said:
Really a strange Burny.

As has been suggested pics of the heel cap would help.
Also, pics of the pickup bases, a pic of the neck tenon/inside the neck pickup route, and a few other details.

Between the RLG & RLC models I have owned nearly thirty Burnys, and not a single one of them had a serial number.
Pegging them with a date of manufacture is like putting the pieces of a puzzle in place.
I had one example that had a head stock face veneer; go figure.

The top is unusual for a RLG as it has nearly book matched features, instead of the typical flicth matched features.
From my experience, this type of top matching for the RLG points to a late 1980s/early 1990s.
That looks alot like a late 80's one I have. Someone changed the pickguard though. I love it.
P1010068.jpg

villager said:
MIJvintage said:
IMO, every guitar that goes thru' a seller's hands should receive the same scrutiny, no matter the price point, etc. .....................

as I said above, they do, but the high end get my attention when they come in, and the lower end get the attention when someone asks for specific pics or info, or when I have the time and inclination to take them apart.. ..

the only thing in error on that guitar on my description was the date, which I dated from the truss rod cover and the general appearance, and that has now been corrected...

and bumblebee, its not so simple to ID the models accurately every time...I do my best, and frankly I think I do a pretty fine job on my site in correctly describing every guitar to the best of my knowledge...

whether that is an 82 or 87 burny, it makes no difference to my asking price, so no one would be ''paying more for wrong information'' as you put it...

Yes I know that it's not easy and I know that mistakes can easily be made. So no big deal.
Like I said it's great that you are "outing" yourself and provide the information.

Mark, why have your Photobucket pics gotten so small? They're displayed a few vertically on a page, and not much increase in size and resolution when you click on them. Thanks.

Thanks alot for the pics!!!

I have never seen the pickup cavities covered with paper.
The caps look like replacements, maybe paper in oil?
There is no braided wire so I guess it is a lower grade model.
According to the roting of the wires it is Fujigen made. Any other opinions on that?
Normally the RLGs were made by Matsumoku and the RLCs were made by Fujigen. But again everything is possible.
And the pickups look like L8000s. Brass bottom plate and grey wires.
That's confusing. For late 80s it should have the later VH-1s.

I would like to hear other opinions!!!

Thanks again for providing the info so quickly.
I still think it's important to see these pics. They tell alot.

Back