ST-100 just sold for $$$$

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure cliff...

I know that originally there were only ST-100 with gold hardware, then sometime later there were ST-100 with normal hardware, and a ST-120 with gold hardware..not sure if these appeared at the same time, but my guess would be yes, as it makes sense... but as the tokai models reflected the price when the model was launched, its not really so significant as the actual basic specs, so as the 120's were (i think) a couple of years later, I would think they were just adjusting for economics, and adding a model the ST-100 with normal hardware..

but of course i could be completely wrong, but thats sort of how i see it, my ST-100 natural has normal hardware, but also ST-100 body and fingerboard stamps, so i guess the 120 may have been introduced on the swop over year in 1980.. but then my ST-100 could have had changed hardware, or someone could have, at some stage polished off the gold, impossible to know for sure..

does anyone know when the ST-120 first appeared?

makaze said:
What was so special about this guitar? Was the seller claiming it was used in the tokai promotion stuff? Does the sub 200 sn make a big difference?

Nice grain I must say. Do you know if a dealer bought it?

well its arrived, with a copy of Japan Vintage vol 2 in the case, i dint realise it but its the actual guitar used for the Japan Vintage volume 2 article on springys.. 0000173

so I am more than a bit chuffed....

I didn't realise exactly why the magazine featured in the sale, heh one of my ''plus'' errors.. makes up for all the mistakes I make..

cliff.... its a st-100 stamped fretboard.

CliffsComicWorld said:
Mark,... Very Cool... Congrats!!

Agreed!

An ST100 has top of the range Tokai pick-ups, tuners, gold taps & plug chain etc etc and a one piece body. How did they 'improve' it to add the extra value for a 120? custom pick ups? Go-faster stripes .....

villager said:
i think 120 was a 100 from 82, just with a price increase to adjust for economics at the time..

So scarcity is the biggest difference between the 100 and 120. Altho' 100s are rare enough as it is. Anyway, great 100 - I'd be happy to look after it while you're on holiday or just playing something else ... :D

maybe not even that,

since 120's were after the stamp, there may well be 120's out there which the owners think are 100's..

a 100 from 1980, after the stamp finished, would be identical in every wat to a later 120, as far as I understand it..

heh..thanks for the kind offer, but my rhythm player has bagged it for my vacation....

"well its arrived, with a copy of Japan Vintage vol 2 in the case, i dint realise it but its the actual guitar used for the Japan Vintage volume 2 article on springys.. 0000173 "

Man, I thought was why it was selling so high........any chance of some clips on you tube???
More info on this guitar gratefully received.

I have sn 220, does this make a big diff in price???

I think the fact its the magazine featured guitar that drove the price up...

but as I said that was a bidding error, not the actual price...

heh no i dont have a video camera.....

but i will have some pics up soon..

Does this mean that my Tokais that featured in the magazine article this year are all now worth more?

:wink:

Mike

I see. Well you should have loaned me a 100 during the summer then, shouldn't you? I could have made it famous for you.

If you want, you can lend me one now, just in case somebody writes another article in the next few months.

Latest posts

Back