Springy Sound Magazine article--good Japanese practice!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirecatsmile

Reaction score
Hi,
I just scanned this and thought I would post it out of general interest.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/gothamcitydrugstore/Japan%20Vintage%20vol2%20Springy%20Sound/

It's an article from a Guitar Mate publication called Japan Vintage no2, (from Dec 2003), with about 30 pages of detailed photos of different model (mainly) Springy Sounds and lots of parts details. If you can read even a bit of Japanese, there is a lot of useful information regarding specs on different models, etc. It's worth looking at for the photos alone!

Enjoy!

Chris
:D
________
VITZ

Totaly brilliant stuff Chris!!

I've copied the link in to the general forum where there is a thread on useful info. If only a member could tranlate it!

Is this magazine a US reprint of the original Japanese magazine, or did Guitar Mate publish it in in 2003 (the original publication date?).

:-?

On page 15, the natural finish ST-85N looks to me like it has a Fender decal. I know the Springy decal looks similar to the vintage Fender, but I'm sure that says Fender. Anyone have better eyes than me? :eek:

Mike

Mike,old hawkeye :D
you're right,but the rest of the decal seems to be original or they write Stratocaster in two words. :roll:
Also it look like it stand "oldies but goldies" there.

Volker

cheshirecatsmile said:

Man ... Chris ... mate .... Thanks alot for your efforts ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was one of the best ideas I've noticed since I had joined this place ... gorgeous, wonderful ... or whatelse ... !!!! :wink:

Roger

Is this magazine a US reprint of the original Japanese magazine, or did Guitar Mate publish it in in 2003 (the original publication date?).

This is scanned from an original copy of the Japanese magazine (pub. date Dec 18, 2003 on spine). I bought it from an ebay seller for more than I'd like to admit, but it has more than paid for itself in knowledge gained. This is the only section with Tokai info in this magazine--there are about 100 more pages of less detailed info and photos of other Japanese guitar makers (nice section on Grecos though).

The same seller has been selling a bunch of similar book/magazines on ebay recently--do a search for Tokai under recently completed items on ebay.com and you'll see a couple similar, focussing on Fernandes and maybe Greco. I also have Vol.8 which has a smaller, but still useful section on Breezysounds. I'll scan that as soon as I have time, and post it when I do.

I can read Katakana and Hiragana (not Kanji-the Chinese-style characters), but that still means most of what it says eludes me--. If anyone could fully translate even portions, that would be quite useful.

I'm also a total newbie when it comes to sharing photos like this, and I'm not sure if these will remain on Photobucket indefinitely--the last photos I uploaded seemed to remove themselves after a few weeks--if anyone has advice regarding this please feel free to offer. They're fairly big scans--I wanted to make sure they'd blow up ok, so they might take a while to download.

On page 15, the natural finish ST-85N looks to me like it has a Fender decal. I know the Springy decal looks similar to the vintage Fender, but I'm sure that says Fender

You're right about that, Mike, and Volker too. It says Fender Springy Sound :lol:

Chris
________
NICHOLAS TOMBAZIS

This is Japan Vintage Vol.2 book.I guess it?s out of print.....
Nice photos but you have to know to read kanji to know more....and that?s really difficult!

cheshirecatsmile said:
Just a reminder that Peter is looking for stamp codes (neck and body) from certain models--please see his link:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9982

And, unless Peter has received lots of PMs, the response has been very disappointing.

As it's similar to the Springy's article I thought I'd add a link to a shorter article on Breezysounds. I think someone else posted some of these on the Forum at some point--I can't remember where, so here it is again:

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/gothamcitydrugstore/Japan%20Vintage%20vol2%20Springy%20Sound/Breezy%20Japan%20Vintage%20vol8/

It's from Japan Vintage magazine vol.8 (July 19th, 2006), and what I have scanned is part of a retrospective of Japanese brand telecasters--mainly Greco, Fernandes and Tokai. It's published by Shinko Music in Japan http://www.shinko-music.co.jp/english/overseas.html

Again, good Japanese practice!
:D
Chris
________
Mercury montego specifications

Back