Springy nitro differences

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarccoco

Reaction score
I noticed that on my Blonde Springy the nitro finish shows stress cracks, or patina, over the years of the finish shrinking, especially on rounded areas.

My blue 1986 nitro finish fender 62' re issue also shows the same patina cracks.

But on both of my two tone sunburst nitro springys, the are no such stress cracks in the nitro finishes.. Did Tokai use some poly binders mixed in with the nitro finish that might be preventing the age cracks in the sunburst finishes?? Just curious..

There are no stress cracks on my 1980 SB ST80. My 1986 US62RI is documented elsewhere on here - it has a very thin finish, and has the stress cracks.

Mike

I think a lot of this depends on what sort of life the guitar has had, if it's been constantly out of a cold van in to a hot smokey venue or if it's sat in a case under someones bed!

Hi guys,
another factor could also be the wood used.

Generally - and i stress GENERALLY - solid colours had alder bodies and Sunbursts had Sen. Sen is far more porous than alder and the laquer aborbs deeper into the pores of the wood.
Being applied to a painted finish could also aid in the pateena effect.

regards
Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back