some little thought about the skunk stripe...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesyrat

Reaction score
I'm reading the famous A.R. Duchossoir's the Fender Stratocaster; He says (page 18 ) that in the 1960 catalog stratocaster appears, for the first time, with a rosewood fingerboard and... the walnut drop at nut. So the prototype stratos pictured in the print have the skunk stripe as their maple neck sisters. I googled a bit and found a nice pdf of the 1960 Fender catalog: well, it's true! Strat and tele custom have that **** drop. Probably never sold in that way but the point is the catalog. You know what i'm meaning? :wink:
Interesting is too that at the end of the 1970's (i.e. when the Japan instruments begin their gold path) Fender systematically installed the truss rod from the rear of the neck, no matter the fretboard style. So reosewood cap Stratocasters (veneer from '64) also featured a walnut spot above the nut and a skunk stripe on the back of the neck...

Could these elements be a beginning of explanation about the early skunk striped rosewood Springy's?

if someone could be interested...

stratcat61.jpg

Latest posts

Back