• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD: 1984 Tokai Goldstar Sound ST50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cappuccino

Reaction score
For Sale:
1984 Tokai Goldstar Sound ST50
Based in Loughborough, United Kingdom

Hi - I bought this guitar second hand in 1991 when I was 18. Played it in a band for a few years but ever since have really been playing acoustic guitars exclusively, so it's been going from loft to loft over the past 17 years or so unplayed. Checking by the headstock and sticker on the back of the neck heal this is a 1984 Goldstar ST50 (as opposed to the ST40 budget model).

I have just cleaned and restrung the guitar (the previous strings had been on there for almost 20 years!), and play-tested it. The sound seems clean, and I have also tested the volume control and switching between the three pickups and all these seem to work fine.

The middle tone control governing the neck and the bottom tone control governing the middle pickup have been tested and also seem to work fine, dulling and brightening the sound.

However there are a couple of minor problems:
- The knob is missing from the pickup switch (as shown in the photographs)
- The trem arm is missing so would need a new one if required (as shown in the photographs)

Since I took ownership of the guitar in 1991 it has not been modified in anyway, prior to this of course I cannot tell.

I have an old soft bass guitar case that I can include and use to ship it, although it's a bit big and could probably do with its own proper sized hard case.

Anyway looking at the prices people have been suggesting I would like to ask ?325, or nearest offer, plus postage costs which I think would be around ?25 to ?30. Or I am happy for someone to pickup from Loughborough if anyone from Midlands is interested in it.

Would like to sell it on here if possible, but if I cannot sell here for a reasonable price I will put it on eBay.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it, I've included some pictures below!

Best wishes,
Wayne.

tokai1.jpg

tokai2.jpg

tokai3.jpg

tokai4.jpg

tokai5.jpg

tokai6.jpg

Hi

can i ask you how you put photos directly onto the thread like this ?

i'm thinking of selling a couple of guitars and would like to advertise them as you have...but i'm not very computery....

many thanks

Jockai said:
Hi

can i ask you how you put photos directly onto the thread like this ?

i'm thinking of selling a couple of guitars and would like to advertise them as you have...but i'm not very computery....

many thanks

Put your pics on photobucket.com.
Place the cursor on a pic.
Copy the IMG code and paste it on here.

Jockai said:
whats the img code ??

is that the wwww bit ?

No, when you have uploaded pics in your photobucket album, place the cursor on a pic, then you get a drop down bar, the last one in the row is the IMG code (it says IMG code so you can't miss it). Select the code, copy (control key + C) and paste it in the message on the forum (in Dutch control key + V but I guess it's control key + P in English)

Cappuccino said:
There is possibly a problem with the bridge tone control (there are 2 tone controls I think one controls the pickup near the neck and the other one near the bridge). The neck tone control dulls and brightens the sound fine but the bridge tone control doesn't seem to do much, this could be a connection issue or just my ear since I don't have a clue what I am listening for, I really just play acoustic guitars, but I thought I'd better mention it!

All Strats wired in the traditional way use the middle pot as neck pickup tone control & the bottom pot as middle pickup tone control. The bridge pickup doesn't have a tone control - a strange decision, I agree, but that's what Leo Fender fitted to his guitars. Others copied him. I assume this is what you're referring to?

Nice Goldie at a fair price - good luck with the sale.

Mike

jacco said:
AlanN said:
Nope, still CTRL+V in any language where a V exists! ;)

hmmm ok, I thought P for 'paste' and in Dutch it's V for 'vervangen'

CTRL-P is print, the copy and paste short cuts have to be on one side of the keyboard so you can operate them with one hand. :)

I remember using a Spanish version of windows and copy/paste wasn't CTRLC CTRLV can't remember what it was though

stratman323 said:
Cappuccino said:
There is possibly a problem with the bridge tone control (there are 2 tone controls I think one controls the pickup near the neck and the other one near the bridge). The neck tone control dulls and brightens the sound fine but the bridge tone control doesn't seem to do much, this could be a connection issue or just my ear since I don't have a clue what I am listening for, I really just play acoustic guitars, but I thought I'd better mention it!

All Strats wired in the traditional way use the middle pot as neck pickup tone control & the bottom pot as middle pickup tone control. The bridge pickup doesn't have a tone control - a strange decision, I agree, but that's what Leo Fender fitted to his guitars. Others copied him. I assume this is what you're referring to?

Nice Goldie at a fair price - good luck with the sale.

Mike

Aha! Thank you! Yes I just tried it and you are right - it's the middle and neck pickups that the tone controls govern.

Just tried it and the bottom tone control does work ok on the middle pickup. So looks like it all works fine :)

Means ?325 is even more of a bargain ;p

Anyway thanks for the info.

Wayne.

Would one of you please buy this **** guitar? I need another Strat like I need a hole in the head, & I'm not even a fan of Sunburst on a Strat, but I keep looking at this one & thinking what a nice example it is, & thinking what a good decision it would be to buy it.

So somebody please buy it before I feel that I have to!

:-? :roll: :lol:

Please note that I have no connection with the seller.

JohnA said:
I remember using a Spanish version of windows and copy/paste wasn't CTRLC CTRLV can't remember what it was though

I've got multiple machines with Spanish XP; all of them take CTRL+X, C and V as cut, copy, paste. Even my Russian one with its mixed keyboard does!

stratman323 said:
Would one of you please buy this **** guitar? I need another Strat like I need a hole in the head, & I'm not even a fan of Sunburst on a Strat, but I keep looking at this one & thinking what a nice example it is, & thinking what a good decision it would be to buy it.

So somebody please buy it before I feel that I have to!

:-? :roll: :lol:

Please note that I have no connection with the seller.

Hi - well I am currently planning to leave it on here until maybe middle of next week, and then put it on eBay if I don't have anyone who is interested. Obviously I would prefer to sell it on here to avoid eBay fees.

Also a guy at work knows quite a lot of guitarists and he's going to put the feelers out to see if anyone is interested.

Would be nice however if people would quit talking about how to copy and paste on my guitar thread though, every time I see a new reply I keep opening to see if it's anyone interesting in buying it and it just turns out to be part of this cut+paste discussion! :)

Wayne.

Sorry Wayne, but you'll get a far warmer response pissing into the wind than you will asking the forum to keep to the subject. :roll:

You'll learn loads of interesting stuff (probably excluding what follows) and a fair bit of it will even be about guitars and music (definitely excluding what follows).

The control z, x, c, v thing was taken over from the Mac, where Undo, Cut, Copy and Paste always appear in that order on the (compulsory) Edit menu. And since their two worthwhile programs (Word and Excel) both started on the Mac, Microsoft really had no choice but to take them over into the PC versions. So later on, they ended up in Windows, of course.

The significance of the keys isn't to do with the letters, but the fact that they all appear in a row at the bottom left hand corner of the standard Qwerty keyboard.

Cappuccino said:
Would be nice however if people would quit talking about how to copy and paste on my guitar thread though, every time I see a new reply I keep opening to see if it's anyone interesting in buying it and it just turns out to be part of this cut+paste discussion! :)

Wayne.

It's a forum... it's not "your" thread - otherwise it'd be a very lonely place!

Think of it as free bumping. ;)

AlanN said:
Cappuccino said:

Wayne.

It's a forum... it's not "your" thread - otherwise it'd be a very lonely place!

Think of it as free bumping. ;)

Yeah it's fine, hence why I said it with a smiley :)
Wayne.

Back