Slumming with the EG450...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwang

Reaction score
I got me what seems to be one of those dreaded low-end Grecos, a EG450 Super Real. It has fair share of wear and dings, but man... this is a pretty good guitar. It's surprisingly well put together, has a very nice top (must be a sister to this one), a rosewood fingerboard that looks waaaay better than the one my Gibson LP Standard and it plays like butter. Also, it sounds like a small 335 (or one of those weight relieved new Gibsons if you will...), no surprise there.

Comparing it to somewhat relevant equivalents, I think it's quite a good bit ahead of all the Standard faded I've tried in terms of workmanship and feel. This low end Greco vs Epiphone LP... sorry, the Epis are not even close. All IMHO of course.

If this is the bottom end of the model line I can't wait to get my hands on a four digit Greco.

I got on myself. Great playing,well built guitar. I love the tone, very woody and 335 like.

hi
i allso got a super real with a chambered body ..... and my guitar sounds great ,,,,,, but it is not the best bild greco i got ........ the inlays on the neck has a lot off filer around them ..... but i really like the sound and it is in nitro .. good rock and roll sound
mine has the thin 60 style neck ....
i think it you look ther is a topic on this forum about it .... but it was some time ago ....
i got 3 strat and 7 greco lp/ custom all before 82
the best one is a 80 greco super power model with a solid body ... it has a solid body ,,,, very very very good guitar ..... but it has a 3 piece top and 2 piece body ..... a really good greco that i will never sell
all the best
otto

ive just discovered one of my greco's is a lower end model(cos its chambered) but to play it you'd swear it was a much higher end model. it does have seymour duncans and a recent pro setup though but compared to budget stuff these days?, this slays them all!
also i guess that what cost 45000 yen back in the early 80's would surely be equivalent of at least an 80000 yen model today, with inflation and all(would be interesting to find out how much exactly). i know that i couldve got a hell of alot more with $450 in the early 80's than i'd get with it these days.....

Latest posts

Back