slight neck twist ... a real issue?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detroitace

Reaction score
Hello,

While sighting down the neck on my Edwards Custom LP (w/ p90s) I noticed that there's a slight twist towards the treble side. This results in slightly more relief on the low e and slightly less relief on the high e.

Loosening the truss rod, helped a little by creating more relief on the high e, but there's still an imbalance.

My guess is it's because the thicker strings are pulling harder on the neck on that side than on the thin string side.

I haven't noticed any problem in playability. No notes choke out, even on stretches and I can get the treble e to 3/64" and the low e to 5/64", so the action's fine.

Is this something I should be worried about? Or is it a common thing? Is there a fix? At what point to you get it fixed.

It might be nothing, but it's worrisome, I think.

Thanks for your help!
- Bill

I've always heard that's normal to have more relief on the bass side for the bigger strings. If it plays fine I wouldn't worry about it but, I wouldn't loosen it up too much you want the treble side pretty straight.

Thanks! I thought it was probably ok, since it played fine and responded to the truss rod adjustments ok. But, I wasn't sure.

I'll post a pic today to give you a sense of things nonetheless.

-- Bill

If it was twisted the other way, I would get it looked at. From your description it sounds fine.

Mike

Here's a picture of the neck twist. As you can see the bottom edges of the headstock don't line up with the guitar edge. The left edge (in the picture) is lower than the right edge. It's pretty subtle.

After the responses, I'm not worried about it. But I thought I'd follow up with an image for reference.

- Bill

Latest posts

Back